Input on mixed RHC set based around HSI (1 Viewer)

rxed

Pair
Reaction score
I'm putting together my first RHC set and was interested in some input. My goal is to get lots of HSI secondary $25s on the table, so using them as fracs. I'm also avoiding a green $25 because there are red/green weak people in my family. I hope the HSI secondary $25 and primary $5 are distinct enough to be safe, though.

Medium term plans (5c/10c starting blinds):

5c - Santa Ysabel $2 (relabel NCV)
25c - HSI secondary $25 (no relabel)
$1 - HSI 1a
$5 - HSI primary $5
$20/25 - Uncertain, but possibly Tonkawa $1 relabeled (if I can get a few extra barrels since I've already got 43 of these on hand). Since they are light grey, I'd probably make them $20s.
$100 - Native Lights $100 primary

Would appreciate input, including your thoughts dirty stack risk. Lots of pink and orange across multiple chips.

Barrels:
20201018_225253.jpg

Mixed stacks:
20201018_225658.jpg

Thanks!

Looks pretty good overall but I have 2 minor quibbles. Don’t love the Tonk $1 as a $20 and the HSI $1 looks strange to me because of the simplistic spot pattern in the middle of your line up.

How about the Tonkawas as nickels, and the Ysabel $2’s relabeled as 20’s?
I thought about that. I'd need more Tonks to pull it off, and it would mean the Ysabel's seeing less time on the felt.

It's an option, though.

I thought about that. I'd need more Tonks to pull it off, and it would mean the Ysabel's seeing less time on the felt.

It's an option, though.
Good point. Maybe skip the Tonks altogether, and relabel the 100’s as 20’s? Sounds like you might not need 100’s anyway.

Looks pretty good overall but I have 2 minor quibbles. Don’t love the Tonk $1 as a $20 and the HSI $1 looks strange to me because of the simplistic spot pattern in the middle of your line up.
I agree with both of your points. I'm not a HUGE fan of the Tonks. I just have some (not even enough) and have a hole in the $20/$25 slot. Other than worrying about dirty stacks, this is my primary concern about the set.

Regarding the 1a: When I bought the HSIs, I was worried about how much the secondary 5s and 25s would cause problems for anyone red/green week, so I went with the primary 5s. I thought the spot progression from the 1a to 5p to 25s was better than 1s to 5p to 25s. Now I'm not so sure I made the right decision, but I'm not sure. There are enough HSI secondary $1s still available from Chip Room that I could switch over to those. I'd have 200 of the 1as to repurpose or sell, though. (Not a fan of the primary 1s.)

Hopefully this will be less of a problem if I ever get to bigger starting blinds. After we outgrow 5c/10c and move permanently into 25c/50c or 50c/$1 starting blinds, I'd probably use the Ysabels as the frac, then HSI 1, 5, and 25 as well as the NL 100s at their label values. Maybe the Tonks would be $500s, if needed then. (They actually came with some NL $500 labels, even.) Progression would be a bit better then, but that's years away.

I think I would make the one your nickel and the ysabel your quarter, then use the tonkawa as tour one, red 5 green 25, black 100. Or you can vice versa if you want the green chip to be your star use it as a $1, but if you do that I would source a blue or yellow 20 for that line up. Gray is a bit bland. Or like the others said, use gray as your quarter and the ysabel as your .5

Most of my sets are mixed sets .... and I think they rock. One thing I don't like is using a $25 as a 25c without a relabel; I don't want confusion. A T25 I could see, but if it's got a $25 on it, it would bother me (just me). I agree about the simplistic spot pattern on the $1, but again, most people don't care. I'd try to get those $2s and 25s in play as much as possible ... they are HOT.

Most of my sets are mixed sets .... and I think they rock. One thing I don't like is using a $25 as a 25c without a relabel; I don't want confusion. A T25 I could see, but if it's got a $25 on it, it would bother me (just me). I agree about the simplistic spot pattern on the $1, but again, most people don't care. I'd try to get those $2s and 25s in play as much as possible ... they are HOT.
Yep. Want those Ysabels and HSI 25s on the table as much as I can!

I'm worried about not relabeling. I doubt I'll have the 25c and $20/$25 (thinking 5c/10c starting blinds, $20 max buy in) on the table at the same time anytime soon, but it could still cause confusion.

As I understand, if I overlabel them, I should be able to get the labels off later without damaging the chip or original label. I'm worried about if that will be true after 5-10 years with an overlabel, though. Definitely considering over-labelling. Just hesitant to spend the extra time and money, especially if it will cause problems down the road if I want to use them as $25s again.

Lots to think about and definitely appreciating people's input.

Not related to your comment, but I had a small number of pink solids that I checked out with the set, and would love to use a pink, purple, or orange solid as my nickel if I don't use the Ysabels or the Tonks in that slot, but if I used one of those with all of the pink, orange, and purple already in the set, I'd be more worried about dirty stacks.

Yep. Want those Ysabels and HSI 25s on the table as much as I can!

I'm worried about not relabeling. I doubt I'll have the 25c and $20/$25 (thinking 5c/10c starting blinds, $20 max buy in) on the table at the same time anytime soon, but it could still cause confusion.

As I understand, if I overlabel them, I should be able to get the labels off later without damaging the chip or original label. I'm worried about if that will be true after 5-10 years with an overlabel, though. Definitely considering over-labelling. Just hesitant to spend the extra time and money, especially if it will cause problems down the road if I want to use them as $25s again.

Lots to think about and definitely appreciating people's input.

Not related to your comment, but I had a small number of pink solids that I checked out with the set, and would love to use a pink, purple, or orange solid as my nickel if I don't use the Ysabels or the Tonks in that slot, but if I used one of those with all of the pink, orange, and purple already in the set, I'd be more worried about dirty stacks.
I ran into dirty stacks a few times with hot pink base mixed with a chip that had pink edge spots. It depressed me. But a solid nickel ... oh man, I'm really into that. I've definitely grown fonder of spotted-mixed-sets that have the smallest denom as a solid.

As for the overlabels, many others here should be able to give real world experience. My own personal experience has only been with inlay replacement. I have to say, those inlays are hard to remove and I couldn't imagine they would be damaged by a simple label on top.

As for the overlabels, many others here should be able to give real world experience. My own personal experience has only been with inlay replacement. I have to say, those inlays are hard to remove and I couldn't imagine they would be damaged by a simple label on top.
Good to know.

I could also consider doing the "everything is worth 1/5th of the value on the chip" thing, too. I could overlabel/relabel the Ysabel with a non-denom label and use it as a nickel.

Breakdown then would be:
5c - Ysabel (non-denom label)
20c - HSI 1
$1 - HSI 5
$5 - HSI 25
$20 - NL 100

I'd have limited to no need for a $100 chip in the near future, but could use those Tonks if needed.
The HSI $25 wouldn't hit the table as much, but it could sometimes, especially if I went to 10c/20c starting blinds with a $40 buy in. Wouldn't be the workhorse, though.

Long term plan with increased stakes could be to make no change to the chips, but have everything play at face value with the relabeled Ysabels serving as the 25c.

25c - HSI secondary $25 (no relabel)
I’m opposed to this. It’s definitely got great colors, so using it as a frac isn’t a bad idea. But doing so without relabeling - well, you asked for opinions. Mine is bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom