Inlays for my Claysmith chips (1 Viewer)

IamMattDamon

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi!

Figured I was going to give it a go and design my own labels for my Claysmith Bluff Canyon chips.
Did not like the inlay that came with the chips and figured they needed some love/customization.

Any tips of manufacturers that makes the best vinyl inlays, or best bang for your buck?
I am from EU, so ordering from the US will cost some in customs and shipping, but that's fine.

Any thoughts or feedback on the design itself?

Attachments

• 1-inlay-complete.png
    1-inlay-complete.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 5-inlay-complete.png
    5-inlay-complete.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 10-inlay-complete.png
    10-inlay-complete.png
    55 KB · Views: 124
  • 50-inlay-complete.png
    50-inlay-complete.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 100-inlay-complete.png
    100-inlay-complete.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 500-inlay-complete.png
    500-inlay-complete.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 1000chip-complete.png
    1000chip-complete.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 148
Hmm. It is a grey silver color (hex #c0c0c0), so not entirely white, or does that not matter?
The black in the background is also not pitch black, but moving more towards dark greyscale.

Keep in mind that the diameter is very small, 1" or less.
I really doubt the very small text on the outer ring would be readable.
What's the height size of this text ? If you've a printer, try to just print it at its correct label size for a test.

Keep in mind that the diameter is very small, 1" or less.
I really doubt the very small text on the outer ring would be readable.
What's the height size of this text ? If you've a printer, try to just print it at its correct label size for a test.
3,04pt, so roughly 4px. The one in the center is 4pt (5.333px).

Is that too small? If so, I will just make amendments according to your opinion.
What would be the minimum pixel/pt amount will be legible on an inlay design?
I will try to print it to check legibility. You might be spot on in terms of it being too small.

Thanks for the input!

I think that something less than 1.5mm high would hardly be visible. Especially thin white on black or very dark background.

In your scale, how many px do you have per mm ?

I think that something less than 1.5mm high would hardly be visible. Especially thin white on black or very dark background.

In your scale, how many px do you have per mm ?
I set the document up with 300 PPI, if that's what you're asking.
I am used to the software, but not entirely sure how to check that.

The document is 1" by 1" 300 DPI with CMYK color settings.

So if I'm not wrong it makes 0.5mm high. Way too small to be readable imho.
Just do a test by printing on a sheet of paper.

Hmm. It is a grey silver color (hex #c0c0c0), so not entirely white, or does that not matter?
The black in the background is also not pitch black, but moving more towards dark greyscale.

Unfortunately, that may make it worse. You want maximum contrast to make things legible, not only size concerns. Grey on dark grey is just asking for trouble.

A little progression based on the feedback I've gotten.

The denomination color will vary based on the color of the chip itself. The border around the graphics will be the main chip color. I also removed all the clutter that might be too small to be legible. Now, I just have to take the print test to see if it's actually legible, or if I have to resize it.

Maybe I should just resize the border to the end of the edges, so that I can resize all the graphics? That should at least make it more legible.

Asset 9.png

Last edited:
Instead of labelling a cheap set, I started saving up for a dream set from CPC.
The chip design is pretty much set, and the inlays have been through plenty of changes as you can see.

This is where I am at right now. Any feedback? Good chip progression? Colors alright? Anything I should think about regarding the design choices?

Nevermind the chip denominations, as I am aware that this is different for US based players. They can easily be altered if I have a change of heart.

5_chip_complete.png
10_chip_complete.png
50_chip_complete.png
100_chip_complete.png
500_chip_complete.png
1000_chip_complete.png

The text hpt might be too thin to render well.
Have you tried to print it ?

The text hpt might be too thin to render well.
Have you tried to print it ?
Have to get some ink for the printer tomorrow, then I'll test it.
It's at 12 pt, but I can size it up to 16 pt if needed.

An obvious option would be to use a more legible font (same as the denomination and currency at the end).

Thx for the input!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom