Inlay removal - Hot water? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been in pursuit of some affordable fracs for my HSI cash set. Someone is working on getting me some nice pink or blue chips for this. I have some not as nice Agua Calientes I will use if that doesn't work out. So, I have been starting to look into how people relabel chips. I am hoping to remove and replace the labels rather than mill. I have seen a few threads with people posting videos on how to do it, but I was surprised to see there was no use of heat or water in the process. Wouldn't soaking them in really hot water help make the label removal easier? What about running them through a gentle cycle in the washing machine with hot water? Put them in nylons? Clean and help remove the label at the same time?

What made me think of this is that my wife found an HSI $1 label in the washing machine one day. I must have had a chip in my pants poket that went through the laundry. Easy peasy! Thanks for your help.

Hi all,

I have been in pursuit of some affordable fracs for my HSI cash set. Someone is working on getting me some nice pink or blue chips for this. I have some not as nice Agua Calientes I will use if that doesn't work out. So, I have been starting to look into how people relabel chips. I am hoping to remove and replace the labels rather than mill. I have seen a few threads with people posting videos on how to do it, but I was surprised to see there was no use of heat or water in the process. Wouldn't soaking them in really hot water help make the label removal easier? What about running them through a gentle cycle in the washing machine with hot water? Put them in nylons? Clean and help remove the label at the same time?

What made me think of this is that my wife found an HSI $1 label in the washing machine one day. I must have had a chip in my pants poket that went through the laundry. Easy peasy! Thanks for your help.
Wouldn’t the chips warp from the heat?

I’ve had some HSI snappers lose their inlay in the ultrasonic. Might be a decent option but really a knife is quicker.

Hi all,

I wouldn’t heat them. Very likely you’d get warped chips and/or discoloration.

Inlays are either vinyl or vinyl coated paper, pressed into the chip at thousands of pounds per square inch. Water shouldn't remove them - if it did, cleaning chips would be almost impossible.

My first attempt used heat and water.

20171011_182918-1.jpg

The chips warped and when I put a little pressure on the chip it snapped in half.

Proceed with caution.

DO NOT heat your chips unless you are trying to bend/straighten them. Soaking in hot water would likely the last thing you do with them before dumping them then the trash.

The more you go over 100 degrees, the softer they get. To flatten, I use a heating pad around 155 degrees, and I wouldn’t go over that.
Generally speaking, if the water is uncomfortably hot to you, it’s softening/warping the chip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom