Inlay Reconditiong? (1 Viewer)

Ben8257

Royal Flush
Reaction score
So this one is different, figured I would make a thread.

So I bought the Forty Grand HHLs and absolutely love them... unfortunately 17 of the chips had the Inlays popping out of them. Obviously could have pulled the inlays and replaced them but wanted to keep them.original to keep the same texture. So where to go from here??
20220108_150746.jpg

I thought maybe take a tiny exacto knife and raise them.up and slide some Glue under them and press them back in, but as soon as I tried it the inlay popped out. No suprise with the amount of glue I found behind them
20220108_150807.jpg

So I scraped the glue off and cleaned the chips up but now I still had a bunch of curled up inlays. I decided to heat and press them
20220108_152836.jpg

Went with chip spacers as they are flat and I could make sure the inlay was centered with them.being clear. Did 8 minutes in the oven on 170 deg, let them.sit for an hour, checked them and decided to go with a second round of heat. They weren't perfect but much better.

I found some Gorilla super glue that hash a brush in the bottle which was perfect to help make sure I didn't use too much glue, obviously that would come out from behind the inlay and make a mess, but also wanted to make sure it was on the edges to help keep that Inlay in the chip foe years to come.
20220108_204434.jpg

Now I wanted to press and hold the inlay in place while the glue dried. I found a nickle to be 13/16" which is perfect for a 7/8" inlay... did some professional engineering! Lmao I tape the nickle inside of a clamp as so
20220108_204839.jpg

After gluing and pushing the inlays back in by hand I clamped them for about 5 minutes each
20220108_204849.jpg

And now they are all fixed! Maybe should have cleaned them.forst but wanted to make sure I could save them first
20220108_211813.jpg

Totally happy with them now, never seen a thread like this before so Ithought I would share in case someone else has chips like this.

Fellow Chipper Ben

Nice work. How much pressure are you applying when clamping after applying glue? I would be concerned that the coin might leave an impression on the inlay. Maybe something smooth would be better?

Just enough to hold them.and also the clear tape I used is very thick so that smooths out any sharp edges and also these inlays are Thick plastic, very stout. No damage to the inlays

So this one is different, figured I would make a thread.

So I bought the Forty Grand HHLs and absolutely love them... unfortunately 17 of the chips had the Inlays popping out of them. Obviously could have pulled the inlays and replaced them but wanted to keep them.original to keep the same texture. So where to go from here??
View attachment 843283
I thought maybe take a tiny exacto knife and raise them.up and slide some Glue under them and press them back in, but as soon as I tried it the inlay popped out. No suprise with the amount of glue I found behind them
View attachment 843286
So I scraped the glue off and cleaned the chips up but now I still had a bunch of curled up inlays. I decided to heat and press them
View attachment 843287
Went with chip spacers as they are flat and I could make sure the inlay was centered with them.being clear. Did 8 minutes in the oven on 170 deg, let them.sit for an hour, checked them and decided to go with a second round of heat. They weren't perfect but much better.

I found some Gorilla super glue that hash a brush in the bottle which was perfect to help make sure I didn't use too much glue, obviously that would come out from behind the inlay and make a mess, but also wanted to make sure it was on the edges to help keep that Inlay in the chip foe years to come.
View attachment 843293
Now I wanted to press and hold the inlay in place while the glue dried. I found a nickle to be 13/16" which is perfect for a 7/8" inlay... did some professional engineering! Lmao I tape the nickle inside of a clamp as so
View attachment 843294
After gluing and pushing the inlays back in by hand I clamped them for about 5 minutes each
View attachment 843295
And now they are all fixed! Maybe should have cleaned them.forst but wanted to make sure I could save them first
View attachment 843297
Totally happy with them now, never seen a thread like this before so Ithought I would share in case someone else has chips like this.

Fellow Chipper Ben
VERY nicely done my friend!!

Excellent Ben! I have a handful of chips that are suffering from the same issue, although my labels are very flat as-is. I will follow your approach!

Excellent Ben! I have a handful of chips that are suffering from the same issue, although my labels are very flat as-is. I will follow your approach!
Please take a few pictures through the process and post them here. That's wat it's all about, happy I could help and as others may have chips with the same issues, it would be awesome to document our journeys so others can make informed decisions on how to tackle their own chip reconditioning.

BTW last pictures there were of dirty chips, I promise they were all cleaned and oiled!
View attachment 859502
View attachment 859504
Absolutely obsessed with these chips.
There are some amazing bright chip sets out there. But the more I look, the more I love the simple spots, colors, and stamps/inlays of vintage sets. There’s something about this set that sings to me as well. Lovely pick up.

Very nice work and I love the creative and effective ideas! I'll save this for when an inlay is acting up on me in the future.:tup:

OK, here are some pictures of my attempt. I had one great result and one less than satisfactory result, but I learned a few things and in the future I think I can get to nearly 100% positive results.

IMG_5088.JPG

Here are the inlays I will be re-adhering. For anyone considering Key West chips, don't let the fact that a couple of inlays came off my chips make you pass on these. I have a set of almost 1600 of these, most of which I have had for almost 17 years. They are great chips!

IMG_5091.JPG
IMG_5092.JPG

I decided to use a short Quick Grip Clamp, Gorilla Heavy Duty Tape, a nickel and E6000 Adhesive as my primary tools.

IMG_5089.JPG

I cut a small square of Gorilla tape and placed it on the nickel. The tape had a plastic barrier on one side that prevents it from sticking to itself. I just left it on and it prevented any tape residue from contacting the chip.

IMG_5098.JPG

I placed a small amount of adhesive in the center of the chip and used a toothpick to spread it around. How much adhesive should you use? Clearly the manufacturers use just a dab to hold the inlay in place and rely on edges of the depression in the center of the chip to hold it into place. More adhesive will increase the chances the inlay will stay in place, but if anyone wants to remove the inlay in the future, they will likely be cursing my name. I went with more than what the manufacturers use but less than coating the entire surface.

IMG_5097.JPG

OK, label on, nickel in place and placed in the clamp with just a bit of pressure.

IMG_5096.JPG

I didn't notice it until after the glue had set, but I have a problem with this chip. The top part of this label edge is slightly above the depression in the chip. Well crap! This is enough of an overlap that it will prevent this chip from stacking properly. I tried to remove the inlay, but I don't think I can do it without damaging it.

IMG_5103.JPG

Chip #2 went much better. This time I used my thumbs to apply force in opposite directions on the left and right edge of the label and rotated it about 90 degrees. This helped me make sure that the inlay would stay seated and helped spread the adhesive more evenly. And I also got to make sure the label lined up with the opposite side the way I wanted!

Because of this, I am happy that I used an adhesive with a longer setup time. I think using a crazy glue that sets up immediately would certainly lead to more errors.

You can see a little adhesive residue at the bottom of the inlay. With E6000, this has a rubbery texture and I easily cleaned this up using my finger nail.

While I failed with one chip, the second one turned out great! I'll use this approach in the future if I lose any more inlays.

My first thought was "this is cool". My second thought was "oh man some folks will never shut up about these "fAkE cHiPs"".

Original chip. Original inlay. Adhesive fixed. Nobody in the hobby should have any problem with this.
I personally guarantee other than this write up there is zero chance anyone would know of them few I fixed. Can't claim professional... but better than original and zero evidence of the fix. If someone has a problem fixing a chip so it is playable again... well they are probably on the wrong chipping platform. Lol

My first thought was "this is cool". My second thought was "oh man some folks will never shut up about these "fAkE cHiPs"".

Original chip. Original inlay. Adhesive fixed. Nobody in the hobby should have any problem with this.
I’m a pretty loud bitch about fake chips, but there’s nothing to bitch about here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom