Inlay matching the edgespot or the chip? (1 Viewer)

Should the inlay color match an edgespot or the color of the chip?

• Edgespot Color

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Chip Color

Votes: 31 81.6%

• Total voters

Pinesol13

Flush
Reaction score
I'm in the process of creating some custom chips for a friends birthday present. They will be custom ceramics from ABC. I'm debating between making the color in the middle of the "inlay" area match one of the edgespots or should it just match the color of the chip.

I'm not completely set on these edgespot colors, but as a concept what do you guys think? Match the edgespot or the chip?

I vote for plain white on all chips. You already have A LOT going on in this design and relatively small centers in proportion to the whole face.

Interesting, I should've added a 3rd option to vote for.

I agree there's a lot going on, I need to simplify. I'm wondering if I need the white border around the numbers. I was worried they wouldn't stand out enough.

oops. I meant to post this photo.

Thanks for all the votes everyone, this forum is amazing! So many great people willing to give feedback. I'm definitely ditching the matching an edgespot color idea. It will help me simplify my design and free up color choices for the edgespots. Luckily I have a few months until I need to order these.

Chips look really, really good!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the font size on the "Rochester NY"? Have you printed them as mock-up? The font seems a wee too small to my eye.

You might want to print these out ONE to ONE to be sure you can see whats in the middle..

These look great. I like the edge spot match...

Whatever the more dominant color is on any chip.
If the dominant color is very dark I might opt to switch to the other color for that one chip design.
In this case here, chip color clearly is the dominant one in all cases, and none of them are too dark.

Personally, I like that label.
Is the yellow a frac? or just a general NCV?

Just a general NCV. I think I am going to go with the completely white inlay design. Still have work to do. I'm not sure I like the black numbers with the white outline, also with the NCV chip having the symbols match the crest color kinda disconnects it from the other chips in the set I think. Maybe I'll try the symbols in black.

Chips look really, really good!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the font size on the "Rochester NY"? Have you printed them as mock-up? The font seems a wee too small to my eye.

I'm not sure the size. I designed the inlay separately and then added it to the chip. When I was looking at it alone it looked nice, but I agree it's probably going to be too small. I'm going to redo it and print out an actual size tomorrow.

+1 for the white inlay. I really like the design. I'm all about the 3/4 inch center, but I also agree with ChaosRock that the center text may be a bit small.

Check out the Windy Crest cash chips as inspiration. They're a similar layout but the center is larger and the edgespots are left to the edges only. I think this works really well for ceramics and saves the mark-up for edgespot alignment.

Check out the Windy Crest cash chips as inspiration. They're a similar layout but the center is larger and the edgespots are left to the edges only. I think this works really well for ceramics and saves the mark-up for edgespot alignment.

Those are great! Thank you, I'll be staring at these for a while and probably do a new mockup tomorrow.

Boy I can't make up my mind. Starting playing around with a different fireman badge. Tried using the accent color in the middle logo instead of the outline of the badge. I think I like this better because I can make the font larger.

I'm wondering if I can incorporate the fireman axe into the edgespot. Can anybody give me some input onto whether or not the edge is large enough to have the axe show clearly?

*EDIT* - I redid the axe on the edgespot so the blade is solid yellow, stands out more

Last edited:
It's getting better and better! I like the way your design is evolving.

I've tried to get fancy with edgespots and have been told it's hard. Talk to whomever you plan on making these to get their guidance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom