Tourney Initial Buy-In vs. Rebuy - Bounty? League Prize Pool (1 Viewer)

What should the rebuy be?

• $80 (prize pool only)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • $100 (prize pool plus bounty)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • $100 (prize pool plus league championship)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $120 (prize pool, bounty, league championship)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
I'm starting a "League" format for a short season of tournaments, and my group likes bounty and rebuy tournaments.

If I'm setting an initial buy-in of say $120, where $80 goes to the event prize pool, $20 goes to a bounty chip, and $20 goes to the season championship - what should the rebuys be?

Poll above, thoughts below.

I think a rebuy should include everything (bounty and season $$). Seems unfair to the rest of the players if they don't.
I hear you - I'm most stuck on that...should someone pay to the season end prize pool twice because they rebought? Or should it be once per tourney (per chance to get points)?

They actually have 2 chances to get points when they rebuy. If they didn't get felted they would have an assumedly stronger stack and be in a better position to collect points. Busting means you lost your points chance, and definitely should have to pay for the privilege of having that opportunity again.

In our group, 100% of rebuys go to the night's prize-pool. Rake for the season ending event is only paid the one time.

We don't normally do bounties, but I have seen bounties both ways: Paid out of the rebuy, where they get a new bounty chip and not paid out of the rebuy (where the player rebuying keeps their original bounty chip).

In our group, 100% of rebuys go to the night's prize-pool. Rake for the season ending event is only paid the one time.

We don't normally do bounties, but I have seen bounties both ways: Paid out of the rebuy, where they get a new bounty chip and not paid out of the rebuy (where the player rebuying keeps their original bounty chip).
They keep their original? So if you bust a player who then rebuys, you wouldn't get their bounty?

They keep their original? So if you bust a player who then rebuys, you wouldn't get their bounty?
Correct - In the second method where the rebuying player keeps their chip, you only get the bounty from eliminating them from the tournament. If they rebuy, they are still in.

Having played both versions, I can say that I have no preference. Just make sure everyone knows a knockout is not an elimination if the player rebuys.

The only thing I feel strongly on is that they should 100% buy another bounty. It seems really weird to be knocked out twice and only one of those earned the bounty.

As to the extra $20 to the league championship...up to you. Both options B and D are fine and miles ahead of A and C

I find it interesting how split opinions are here so far. Usually a question posed here has a pretty consistent answer.

I find it interesting how split opinions are here so far. Usually a question posed here has a pretty consistent answer.
It's the phrasing. Broken down, it's
Bounty: 10 for, 3 against.
Championship: 9 for, 4 against.

Pretty solid consensus, although an admittedly small sample set thus far.

I do bounty chips both ways: collect upon felting a player (who buys another bounty chip with his re-buy stack), and collect upon player elimination (who has no available re-buy or chooses to not re-buy). No real preference on either method.

I also do dual bounties on occasion -- regular bounty chip purchase is mandatory and surrendered upon being felted, and an optional 'super bounty' (typically worth twice as much) which is surrendered only upon total elimination.

Our league starting stack buy-in cost includes fees for the dealer pool, the playoff/finals pool, and bounty, as does the full-stack re-buy cost. The optional half-stack add-on includes fees for playoff/finals only.

I'm curious if it would change anyone's opinion on the championship yes/no depending on how points were calculated. If points leaned more towards participative, awarding attendance heavily, versus if it was pure performance and only the top few places got points?

In the latter, I can definitely see paying again. If the former, having a hard time wrapping my head around paying again.

I'm curious if it would change anyone's opinion on the championship yes/no depending on how points were calculated. If points leaned more towards participative, awarding attendance heavily, versus if it was pure performance and only the top few places got points?

In the latter, I can definitely see paying again. If the former, having a hard time wrapping my head around paying again.
All of our league structures are performance-oriented.

But even if more attendance-based, I'd still want a second chance at scoring (more) points to pay a second rake..... although that type of structure would make the re-buy itself less appealing in general.

All of our league structures are performance-oriented.

But even if more attendance-based, I'd still want a second chance at scoring (more) points to pay a second rake..... although that type of structure would make the re-buy itself less appealing in general.
At least for the league championship part of it, yes - agreed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom