Inflation Vs. DrStrange, who won? (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Going out for dinner. We end up at that sort of place where you can get all sorts of stuff. Sea food, steaks, a bit of Mexican, a bit of Cagun, burgers, salad. Nothing super, but everything is reasonable enough.

So I was thinking a plate of wings, ten wings plus fries, The menu says "market priced" I ask and get told ten wings plus fries is $36. Seems pretty crazy.

The guy asks me, would you like to hear the specials? Sure! < because I remember when that plate of wings was something like ten bucks > 12 oz. of prime rib plus salad and a baked potato for $32. I don't know what the other sides were, some fish and a Mexican combo plate.

A slab of juicy prime rib plus two sides or for four bucks more ten wings with fries? Sign me up for the beef, please!

So who really won that round? The folks who failed to sell me some really pricy chicken wings or the same folks who sold me that delicious cut of beef?

I don't have a clue what prime rib normally costs here. It was an off menu special at a place we only visit a couple of times a year. But thirty-two bucks for that dinner sure seemed reasonable.

Yum, Yum -=- DrStrange

So I was thinking a plate of wings, ten wings plus fries, The menu says "market priced" I ask and get told ten wings plus fries is $36. Seems pretty crazy.

I have never ever heard of chicken wings being “market priced”. That’s usually reserved for items that fluctuate depending on supply, like lobster, caviar, blue crabs, some specific kinds of fish and specially sourced meat like Japanese Wagyu.

Chicken wing supplies are are steady as any ingredient can get, so the fact that wings were marked MP is baffling.

$36 for ten wings is highway robbery.

Around here, the local places are all in the $1.25-1.50 per wing ballpark. That's a bit more than this time a year ago, but certainly not more expensive than prime rib! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I have never ever heard of chicken wings being “market priced”.
Me neither, but I looked at the online menus of a few local places just now, and two of them (including BWW) are advertising buffalo wings as "price varies."

what-in-tarnation-wtf.gif

As soon as I saw this title and read the first few words I knew exactly what the content was and the conclusion. I'm pretty chatty on slow days with the owner of my local deli I go to breakfast for and he told me he just reprinted his menus and it was the second time in 18 months and he's just trying to keep up.

This is a big part of it, the price for wings apparently swings around a lot based on what kind of large events are going on. Also, the price of chicken has been super high lately and I frequently see in my regular neighborhood grocery store that you can only buy X amount of chicken at any one time.

I'm a big wings fan and make my own so I buy large packs of wings and cut them up into what I want sized portions and freeze them so you can get them for cheap.

Family and I have been to two fast food joints in the PNW about 6 times in the last two weeks. Have asked for onions rings each time. Not available every time except the time we happened to be driving by at the moment they opened. No clue what’s going on but seems like a supply chain issue, bottom line.

I have never ever heard of chicken wings being “market priced”. That’s usually reserved for items that fluctuate depending on supply, like lobster, caviar, blue crabs, some specific kinds of fish and specially sourced meat like Japanese Wagyu.

Chicken wing supplies are are steady as any ingredient can get, so the fact that wings were marked MP is baffling.
Do you get out and shop much? Or pay attention to price tags? I bought plywood today and was surprised it didn’t say MP on it. Supply & Demand: powerful jedis, powerful jedis.

I grabbed a takeout order from Wing Stop during bowl season and they were pushing boneless thighs at the time.

It can be hard to tell what should be surprising these days.

Not sure if it happened in the US but there was a week or so about a year ago in the UK when KFC and Nando’s ran out of chicken!

~ I’d always go for the beef though anyway

I mean even here in Maine the lobster is listed at MP.

thighs are by far the best part of the chicken, so it is baffling to me that they are also the cheapest. i fear everyone else is going to catch on eventually.

we have smoked chicken thighs for dinner once a week here.
I love it, wife hates them.

I love it, wife hates them.

that's funny, my wife insisted for YEARS that she hates chicken thighs. then i smoked them once, and she was very sheepish the first time she requested i make them again.

i also don't think she ever realized that i put chicken thighs in my jambalaya that she loved that whole time too.

Well, I think I'm qualified to chime in here. $36 for wings with or without fries is a straight up rip-off. Can't say I've ever had wings with fries either, but that's beside the point. The cost of chicken wings has gone crazy in the past 8 years but has really gone berserk in the last few. Not sure what the standard price for good chicken wings outside of my area costs but a single (10) order of wings around here is now about $17-20, which is pretty high considering what they cost for most of my life.

Think you won going with the prime rib :)

In the mid 90's and early 2000's I lived across the street from this shit hole bar that had a sign "Great beer, lousy food", which was quite the opposite. I used to go in there to play some pool and Golden-Tee golf. If you ate in you could get wings for $0.10 a piece or $0.20 to go. They were great wings too. Garlic Parm yum yum. Those were the days. As early as 2015 wings were a buck a piece, now they're double that. Really sucks.

If anybody is out my way, two places I'd recommend is Sal's in Depew, NY. The have a breading on them which is fantastic.
npr.brightspotcdn.png
16846219_vdUG-F8IURXCZvkG7j_4qUsH5NFALFptsortjpEt-QQ.jpg
sals10-318616285056a34_1e7aa220-f498-ff8b-321d4871c7b126bd.jpg

and Bar-Bill's in East Aurora, NY.
bar-bill-tavern-buffalo-east-aurora-30.png
26805246_10155722486886001_629804646929637869_n-e1520216837568.jpg

If you like hot wings, like really hot, these are some of the best places IMO.

Last edited:
I get wings from Costco and cook them on the smoker. Went out Friday and there were no wings to be found at Costco! First time ever for me, plenty of thighs though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom