Indy 500 Contest (1 Viewer)

slisk250

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I'm a huge Indy fan and two years ago posted an Indy 500 contest here. Last year I was away but we are back to do it again.

This year will be the same players as the first contest but I'm opening up an extra game and taking the first 5 replies.

Cost is 40 bucks total, 20 for the race and 10 in each of the qualifying bonus pics.

The thread from the previous contest is here - https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/indy-500-wagering.20612/

Format

We have 36 cars, 3 will get bumped. Only 33 make the field. I like the qualifying changes for this year, read on.

Qualifying changes
Two-day format (Saturday, May 18 & Sunday, May 19), bumping will be Sunday. Both the Fast Nine Shootout and a new Last Row Shootout will be held Sunday. Cars will continue to use the traditional four-lap qualifying attempts.
On Saturday, the procedure will be as follows:
  • Qualifying will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 5:50 p.m. All cars entered will be guaranteed at least one attempt. Additional attempts are allowed, time/weather permitting.
  • Positions 1–9 will advance to the Fast Nine Shootout.
  • Positions 10–30 will be locked-in, and will not re-qualify.
  • Positions 31 and lower will be entered into the Last Row Shootout
On Sunday, time trials will conclude as follows:
  • At 12:15 p.m. the Last Row Shootout will be held. Entries that finished 31st and lower on Saturday will have one attempt to qualify. Times from Saturday will be erased. Starting positions 31–33 will be filled. All other cars from 34th and lower will fail to qualify.
Here are the wagers.
Qualifying - once the Fast 9 are determined, each player will select one driver (snake draft format with Last Row Shootout) as their pole contender. Highest finisher gets paid by the other players - 10 bucks a head.
Last Row - we each select 1 of the 6 drivers in that group. Last qualifier get paid. 10 bucks.

Pole Winner gets paid 10 each by the others
Last qualifier gets paid 10 by the others - this is the 33rd car that makes the field

To be clear, lets say I get the first pick for choosing the pole winner, I'll also choose last for the Last Row Shootout. We'll have some PCF member do a flip for the draft order.

After qualifying we'll record our results and move to the race. We start another snake draft using a non playing PCF member flip. Each player will select 5 drivers that will make their team.

Scoring is as follows for race day. Each driver scores the number of points equal to his/her finishing position. You add the total for your 5 drivers. Lowest total wins. Bonus for having the winning driver = minus 2 points in place of their finishing spot.

Game 1
1. @ChaosRock
2. @bsdunbar1
3. @slisk250
4. @BGinGA
5. @David O.
6. @Chippy

Game 2
1. slisk250
2. dbertheau

Reply if you want in game 2.

Last edited:
Here it is. Still stunned that Kaiser bumped Alonzo.
indy grid.JPG

Tentative Results

Game 1 - slisk, chaos, david 0, bsdunbar, BGinGA, chippy
Winner - (-2) points

Game 2 - slisk, chaos, dbertheau
Winner - (-2) points

Last edited:
I really like the way they changed the qualifying format. It should be a fun quali/pole weekend.

I'm dying to put forth my favorites here but don't want to tip off you guys on my draft picks, LOL!

Yes, thanks Mike!
I'm not a huge Indy fan but who isn't a fan of the Indy 500, + it makes watching the race a whole lot more fun!

Same here, I know who I like. You can take Marco #1 I know you are president of his fan club.

LOL!!!! If he is still on the board and I have the last pick of the last round, then he will be on my team. Otherwise, no way!! LOL!! (I'm jinxing myself and now he might win the whole thing!)

But yeah, I wonder how much he would have lasted driving the Indy Series if he hadn't the Andretti name. Half a season is my guess. :p Nothing against him personally as I'm sure he's a super nice guy. It's just heartbreaking seeing a lot of talent leaving the Series due to lack of available seats and then seeing Marco driving for 13 years, mediocrely.

His dad, Michael, wasn't great either.

Remember what happened in 93'? Mansel had won the F1 Championship (dominantly) and Michael the Indy Championship in 92'. Then they switched Series. Mansel won the Indy Championship (his rookie season!) and the Indy500 in 93'. Michael was the biggest disappointment ever, finishing the F1 Championship in 11th place. His teammate btw, Senna, finished 2nd to Prost, only a few points behind. Michael was a joke in F1. He was kicked out of McLaren a couple of races short of a full season, LOL!!!

...and I'm ready for side bet action...

I'm itching also but before we have our draft completed, it's hard to give away our hole cards. :sneaky:

Not sure we can do the Battle of the Brazilians this year as Kanaan's car sucks and Helio is driving this race for Penske.

Maybe we can do Kanaan vs Leist? LOL!!!

* Another jinx. Now Kanaan has increased his chances substantially after my comment. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I'm itching also but before we have our draft completed, it's hard to give away our hole cards. :sneaky:

Not sure we can do the Battle of the Brazilians this year as Kanaan's car sucks and Helio is driving this race for Penske.

Maybe we can do Kanaan vs Leist? LOL!!!

* Another jinx. Now Kanaan has increased his chances substantially after my comment. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Kanaan can win...if the top 10 qualifiers break.

My wife and I are going to the Indy 500 for the first time this year! Her cousin rents a big house down there every year and he has invited us the last couple years. I am excited to see it! I have been to a Daytona 500 about ten years ago but have mostly lost my interest in NASCAR.

My wife and I are going to the Indy 500 for the first time this year! Her cousin rents a big house down there every year and he has invited us the last couple years. I am excited to see it! I have been to a Daytona 500 about ten years ago but have mostly lost my interest in NASCAR.

OMG, Mike! That's awesome! I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

Same here. I used to be a huge fan of Nascar (although it always played third fiddle to F1 and Indy) but for whatever reason, I lost every ounce of passion I had for it.

Rookie Challenge Paulo? There are 7 entered...

Yes, let's do it, Mike! Not a bad rookie class, btw. Oval skills remain to be seen obviously. My proposal is three rookies each, snake draft, most finish points takes it. $20. Fair?

I think it's very likely we'll have at least 6 rookies in the field. If we pick a rookie who does not classify, and there's one who does but wasn't drafted, he replaces the one out of the race. If two rookies or more fail to classify, tough luck, only one is replaced. If we each have one rookie not classifying (or whatever even number), there's no replacements.

Would love to see a Fernando win. Where's Danica? I thought she was making another final 500?

Yes, let's do it, Mike! Not a bad rookie class, btw. Oval skills remain to be seen obviously. My proposal is three rookies each, snake draft, most finish points takes it. $20. Fair?

I think it's very likely we'll have at least 6 rookies in the field. If we pick a rookie who does not classify, and there's one who does but wasn't drafted, he replaces the one out of the race. If two rookies or more fail to classify, tough luck, only one is replaced. If we each have one rookie not classifying (or whatever even number), there's no replacements.

Sounds good...booked. You can pick first.

Alright, Mike! Here is the rookies line-up:

Chaos: Rosenqvist, O'Ward and Ferrucci.

Slisk: Ericksson, Herta and King.

I think the rookies this year are very scrappy, with Herta miraculously getting a win already. Right place at the right time as they say.

Are you following F1 this season, Mike? It's funny how all the talk during testing season was how Ferrari was kicking Mercedes ass and then, when it was race time, it was the same old "playing catch-up". Also interesting is how Kimi has been way outperforming his equipment. I'd love to see Hulkenberg driving a competitive car, maybe as the second driver for Red Bull.

Wow cars were fast in first practice. Herta was fast but almost wrecked his car. McLaren is going to suck, if Alonzo wants to win this race he needs to sell his soul to Andretti or Penske.

Paulo!!! Was an interesting day 2 at the Brickyard. The crowd sweetheart hit the wall as did your top rookie...Rossi only did a few laps and was the fastest no tow speed. He may be the best Honda out there. Penske laid low...very smart.

He almost got upside down...lucky.

Wow, look at Will Power avoid this crash...pretty amazing he didn't spin as well.

Last edited:
I'll get in for Game 2.

I've been a fan of auto sports since I was a kid. Been to a number of F1 races around the globe. Only went to the Indy 500 once...2012. My brother (Steve) sponsored Townsend Bell that year.

Steve was a Porsche Club driver for many years and in 2010 he hooked up with Kevin Bukler and TRG and did a few GrandAm races as a "Gentleman Driver". In 2011 Steve was the car owner and a driver of the 67 GT car in the Rolex 24 at Daytona...he won the GT class that year. His team of drivers included: Brendan Gaughan (NASCAR Driver), Andy Lally (IMSA driver and NASCAR once in a while), Spencer Pumpelly (IMSA driver) and Wolf Henzler (Factory Porsche Driver). I think they all have raced at Le Mans as well (maybe not Brendan). In 2012 Steve's team was runner up.

Back then going to the GrandAm races were a blast. As a fan you had full access to the garages. The Rolex 24 at Daytona was always fun because many NASCAR and Indy drivers raced in it, and some F1 drivers.

Anyway....sorry to get out of topic with your Indy 500 Contest. Don't get a chance to talk about auto racing much....

GT 67 at Daytona 0192.jpg

GT Winners with new Rolex Daytona 0514.jpg

Steve and Trophy 0920.jpg

GT Winning Car 0698.jpg

Drivers Names on Car 0015.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom