Cash Game Increasing blinds in a cash game? (1 Viewer)

Servo

Two Pair
Reaction score
Is it normal to increase the blinds during the night in a cash game?

At our last 2 games, one guy said “we’ve been playing a while, should we raise the blinds?” I said no, and another guy seemed surprised and asked when I would. I said when we’re playing a tournament.

Is that normal for a cash game? I understand that killing small stacks with higher blinds is the point in a tourney; seems unfair in a cash game to suddenly change things, especially when proposed by a big stack.

I’m curious if I’m off in left field on this one, and would reconsider if so.

Some people want to play for larger stakes later in the night; as people bust out and rebuy there's more money on the table, people are feeling "warmed up" and are ready to gamble more, people are more intoxicated or tired and have worse judgement and therefore either a) they want to indulge their urges to gamble or b) they want to capitalize on other people's urges to gamble.

BUT

Some people are just confused and don't understand the difference between playing in a tournament and playing a cash game, and don't realize that the blinds don't go up in a cash game.

No telling which of the two you have.

Even if it's the former, there's absolutely no reason to increase the stakes if you don't think you should, regardless of what some of the players might be expecting. It's your game, you can run it with the style and atmosphere that suits you best.

I've been in games where blinds were raised.

Usually these conditions are met:
- game has been running a while and thru reloads, stacks are getting close to the 1000bb level
- the above condition and the game is getting short handed

People generally loosen up as the game goes on and stacks grow. Folks want more money in the middle preflop. Gambol.

Either as a player or host I go with the flow.

Only time I've ever increased the blinds in a cash game was when all players at the table agreed to do so. Never as pre-set as part of the game and definitely not at a prescribed time or number of hands.

Like said above (and likely after this) it's a cash game and not a tournament.

I like the fact you said no twice already, and I hope you continue to do so. It's your game, your house rules and if that player wants to play a tournament he can host his own or wait until you decide to do so. Don't let a player in your game bully you into something.

I've not seen it in a casual game but I agree with others that I would only do this if all players agree.

My guess is this would mainly be for the more hardcore players at the end of the night.

That the reason why straddle are for

The game also shifted toward the later stage of game where instead of the 100bb stack change to deep stack poker

GTO solver usually use 100bb as base so not everyone play as well as 100bb deep compare to deep stack poker too

Last edited:
In my mind raising the stakes in a cash game is something done by high rollers and idiots. To be fair, I’ve read about some home cash games where it’s normal to raise the blinds at some point later in the night. And if that’s their custom, fine, whatever, good for them. But absent that custom or some preplanned plan, I think it’s unfair to even bring it up, let alone poll the table.

People who ask to raise the blinds do not understand how the concept of unlimited betting (no limit) works at all.
There are other betting limits other than NL.

Raising the blinds in fixed limit or pot limit can make a big difference.

In my mind raising the stakes in a cash game is something done by high rollers and idiots. To be fair, I’ve read about some home cash games where it’s normal to raise the blinds at some point later in the night. And if that’s their custom, fine, whatever, good for them. But absent that custom or some preplanned plan, I think it’s unfair to even bring it up, let alone poll the table.
It depends on the game. The vibe of the table. This is not limited to high rollers and idiots. It can include people who just like to gamble and have fun. Ie. Not a table of nits and rocks.

It's similar to people who like to straddle. I'm fine if people want to straddle. I can understand why some may not like it. But those folks usually are tournament players and not cash game players.

The beauty of a cash game is you can leave at any time. Don't like how the game is evolving thru the night? You can leave and cash out.

Thanks for all the thoughts! To clarify, I was hosting the first time, but just a guest giving an opinion the second time. And no bullying/pressure-- it sounded like an basic expectation, no different than "when's the pizza getting here?" That's what made me second guess whether it was a common cash game thing I had just never encountered in my circle.

Helpfully, he basically raised his own blinds by playing looser and more aggressive after that, eventually going from mid/big stack to bust at the end of the night (both times).

Edit to add: Yes, it was NL.

I'd bet anything that the players who asked for this are primarily tournament players, or most of their cash experiences have been shaped by hosts who are tournament players and don't understand cash.

It's not like raising the blinds never happens in cash games, but it's pretty far outside the norm. Others have explained the limited circumstances when this might happen. And I agree with those saying it would be improper to do this without unanimous agreement. Raising the stakes is altering a fundamental parameter of the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom