Inching closer to first CPC set: the making of Van Card Room - Opinions wanted! (2 Viewers)

pipdenny

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
J5 was kind enough to help me out with the inlay design for my first CPC set!

I sent him my rough mockup for some cleanup (to adhere to the CPC requirements and make it look like a coherent inlay), and he sent me some other options as well.

Here is what I got back so far. I am trying to gather my thoughts on these, and I wanted your opinions.
He told me that it was somewhat difficult to get all the elements balanced out and have the fonts be large enough, etc.. He wants my thoughts before we arrive at a final design.

tg_vcr1a (1).jpg

My initial thoughts:
- I really like these, but I am struggling to pick just one to move forward with. 2 and 3 are my favorite so far, but I always have been a fan of the circular font on inlays, like #5
- I think the grass might look better at the very base of the bird's foot (a la flamingo bird)
- I think he extended the "v" to balance out the empty space in the corner. I wonder if there is some other element we can add there instead, so that I could keep the font of the initial design

Anyway, like I said I think these are incredible, and Johnny is amazing to work with!
I hope to gather your opinions as well, and hear about any suggestions you may have.

Here is what I sent him (edge spots and colors not final):

vcr_new_1_100.PNG

image.png

For inlays I like #4 5 and 6. Live the bird, although I think I like the left-facing one better for some reason. Also like how the bird changes colors to match the spots. Awesome looking $1000 and bounty chip too...

Last edited:
Yep, inlay #3 and also it's not close. Easily the best. Almost objectively so with the superior balance and composition of each element.

I like #3 the most. However, if it were my set, I’d take the red number font from #5 and apply it to #3. Cool concept though! Should be a great set.

I also like #3 the most. It has the best use of the space.

it feels very much like a Picasso work of art. I really like it. Great job.

#3 jumps out at me. While I prefer animals looking right (looking forward, not backwards), the play on the N, the spacing, and fit all work really well. That’s a keeper.

If you pick a different option, keep an eye on the vegetation under the bird, make sure it’s obvious and can’t be mistaken for poop. :)

Thanks everyone!

Looks like #3 got a lot of love, and yes I do agree that the grass looks like maybe the bird is pooping. I'll see if we can adjust it to be more like this:

1614501505654.png

I really like the bird. Im not sure if cost is a factor but id be looking at having 2 different inlays on the chip. 1 with writing and the denom and the other with the image and the denom.

Yes, this is something I've been thinking of since getting these mockups back from J5. I've never owned a set like that before, nor have I seen many pictures, so I wonder ultimately if I'd like when I have them in front of me. I really like the idea because the bird can be much larger and more prominent without having to worry about fitting everything in.
As far as I recall, it doesn't cost extra to have different inlays on either side of the chips. Did something change, or did I have the wrong idea all along? :eek:

I do prefer 4.

The word cardroom does not to be too big, just readable. The most emphasis should be on Van.

It's nice to have the location at the bottom too. And the font of "los angeles" is very nice on the #4.

Yes, this is something I've been thinking of since getting these mockups back from J5. I've never owned a set like that before, nor have I seen many pictures, so I wonder ultimately if I'd like when I have them in front of me. I really like the idea because the bird can be much larger and more prominent without having to worry about fitting everything in.
Ive seen a few on PCF. I cant recall any off the top of my head. Many some other members have a better memory than me and can help out. I recall seeing sets where the flip side is just the image and no denom also. Just food for thought. If that doesnt tickle your fancy then Id vote either 3 or 4. 3 because the bird is more prominent and the its more natural reading left to right and then seeing the image. 4 because I prefer the font used for Van and how prominent it is and also because it has the curved los angeles in there as well. Is the a hybrid of 3&4 available?

As far as I recall, it doesn't cost extra to have different inlays on either side of the chips. Did something change, or did I have the wrong idea all along? :eek:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/bills-haus-of-bluff.86/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/the-club-house.75/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/the-iron-bank-fdl-tournament-set.51/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/suicide-queen-cash-set.36/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/the-hitching-post-cash-set.10/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/black-cat-club.6/

Thanks everyone!

Looks like #3 got a lot of love, and yes I do agree that the grass looks like maybe the bird is pooping. I'll see if we can adjust it to be more like this:

View attachment 645588

I did different images on both sides.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/hoser-hut-poker-cpc-md-50-cash-set.69596/

I personally think it’s a great look, and has been well executed by many others as well, as seen above in the other sets linked by LinkyBabe.

This is a really nice design! I actually dig your original design where the bird and the the word Van seem to fit together nicely. I love the lettering of Van in #1. It looks so clean.

Having said that, I like #1 and #4 in that order. I agree with the suggestion to be aware of the grassy patch by the bird's feet. I hadn't noticed it the first time but once it was pointed out to me, I can't unsee it. ;)

but I always have been a fan of the circular font on inlays, like #5

I often gravitate to these kinds of designs as well, however I'll echo many of the responses above for option #3, I feel like that configuration best matches the overall style you've got going on here. I'd consider adding the slight drop shadow to the denom (similar to #5). Really nice design, very classy!

#3 definitely feels the most balanced to me and reads the nicest left to right instead of different elements pulling my eye around

Nice inlay designs. Design #3 is my favorite and #4 comes in second for me. Great work so far on your project.

It's close for me between #3 and #4, but I like the balance of #3 better and with the bigger bird
I also like the prominence of "Van" in both of these
Agree about no comma for the 25K and watch out for poop
Can Johnny use the circular denoms that you like in #3?
Love the way the bird's color change to match the chips

#3 for me as well, and i agree with the movement of the grass to its feet. i'm pretty sure we've already seen one other awesome inlay design derailed by the realization that it looks like a bird pooping...

im failing to see any birds let alone ones that are pooping. pics perhaps? lol

I thought it would be obvious, but go to the OP that he is replying to. I just linked the first person to notice it.

(sorry for derailing here OP, I am done now. love your design)

I’m super late to the party. I LOVE the bird. My unfiltered opinion worth less than 2 cents: Again, I love the art style. Not privy to the grass it is shitting tho. Underneath doesn’t work. Have it ‘point’ to something significant?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom