Improve this set and get a free sample set (1 Viewer)

crussader

Flush
Reaction score
I will be placing a CPC order in the near future. The current plan is to submit the following...

options1.png

I have reconfigured this more times than I can count looking for improvements. Frankly, I'm burned out. So, I thought I'd see if anyone else would like to give it a go.

The rules are simple. Submit a chip to replace one of the above (or more than one). Anyone who submits a chip that I use in my order gets a free sample set from the order. More than one person can qualify for a sample set.

You can submit any design you want, but be aware that I will lean very strongly toward chips that meet the following criteria:

1) Uses the period color palate - that means these colors...

tincture.png

Note that in the picture, Argent is shown as white but is really meant to represent silver.

2) Does not dramatically increase the cost - I am pretty much up against my budget limit with the current design.

All submissions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I had a crack at it. It's kind of tough with that colour palette though to be fair.
IMG_0584.jpg

These chips are growing on me. I like them. But I'm still at a loss as to why you'd want the same spot pattern on the 25 and the 100.

Made a few slight tweaks, although the $1k is a bit of an overhaul. Reduced the number of black spots by one, added a blue and red spot, and slightly reduced the complexity of a couple of the patterns. The $1k is honestly the toughest for me.

upload_2017-6-29_7-42-57.png

These chips are growing on me. I like them. But I'm still at a loss as to why you'd want the same spot pattern on the 25 and the 100.

This. I'm a believer of either have a progression, or don't (all solids, all quarter pies, ect...)

It's kind of tough with that colour palette though to be fair.

... but with a limited color palate it's not easy lol.

Yes, the limited color palate seriously complicates things. I've spent countless hours over the last couple of weeks trying to find the perfect combination. I feel I'm close, but suspect I may be missing something that would really solidify the set.

Honestly, the goal is not to be fair. The goal is to make sure I get the best possible set I can get.

However; for the sake of fairness, I will give out at least one sample set even if I use my original design.

I don't have time to mess with the CDT. I'm not a fan of the repeating white edge spot pattern. Is there a specific reason for this that I missed?

I don't have time to mess with the CDT. I'm not a fan of the repeating white edge spot pattern. Is there a specific reason for this that I missed?

Primarily, because the limited color palate doesn't leave a lot of options.

Just for clarification, here is what I am trying to visually represent with this set:

kn - blue.jpg
kn - red.jpg
kn - green.jpg

Jockey mold for three reasons

It's a reasonable fit for the theme
It's the closest mold I can get to a Paulson
There is a group buy going in for the jockey mold. If I combine with that, maybe the mold will get loaded and produced sooner.

If you're not representing heraldry with coats of arms or other heraldic emblems, then you should at least make the colors represent something heraldic. As it is, the only thing heraldic is the word heraldry.

I don't have access to the design tool here at work, so I can't post any mockups. But what you might want to do is pick some countries which have distinct colors in their flags or coats of arms and try to represent them in the chips. An easy one would be to represent England with a white chip with red 414 spots. The French coat of arms is blue with 3 fluers de lis. How about representing with an imperial blue chip with yellow 313 spots. Germany's coat of arms is gold with a black eagle that has a red beak and claws. How about a yellow chip with 4va12 spots in black V with red spot.

Instead of the same helmet on each one, you could use one that represents the country .

Maybe somebody could mock these up.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_of_country_coats_of_arms for ideas

If you're not representing heraldry with coats of arms or other heraldic emblems, then you should at least make the colors represent something heraldic. As it is, the only thing heraldic is the word heraldry.

The colors I'm using are the heraldic colors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tincture_(heraldry)

tincture.png

The coat of arms was a later refinement of the heraldic language. The heraldic language started on the battlefield where banners and shields bearing heraldic symbols were used to distinguish commanders in battle.

I will however be using coats of arms on the associated tournament set that will be coming next. I will be using the coats of arms of individuals, not countries, as was the original practice. I will most likely use the attributed arms of notable British knights.

I think you might be limiting your colors a bit too much.
Didn't earth colors already get used in cave paintings, i.e. much earlier than in the medieval ages?
Browns could help a bit with the color repetition.

Here is my shot at it:
NCm1OFf.jpg

$1 went from L1 to L4. Not sure if that still stays within your limitation, but I really don't think this very spot pattern can be made to look interesting with only one single color for the spots in any way. There's an alternate with blue base color but it's the same price level.

$1000 went from L10 to L11. I guess you won't have too many of those so it likely wouldn't be an issue money-wise, but even the L9 version would still look good to me.

Edit: Two alternates for the $100. 3-color one is one price level below yours, the 5-color one on the same level. 5-color one probably too colorful though for the theme, but I wanted to post it anyway, I just love the colors.
YK7L9yI.png
p3dct8Q.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 72o
I think I may have seen you mention that you like the jockey mold because it's closer to Paulson feel, but you considered fdl? It would be very in-keeping with your theme.

Last edited:
I think I may have seen you mention that you like the jockey mold because it's closer to Paulson feel, but you considered fdl? It would be very in-keeping with your theme.

Little too much of a French feel for my British blood to deal with. ;)

Also, the Paulson similarity is pretty important.

I want to thank everyone for their submissions. It is very much appreciated. I have tried not to comment on them, because I don't want to influence the direction of what everyone is coming up with. I've got a week or two before the order goes in, and will be open to suggestions up until the last minute.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom