Tourney Impact of (big blind) ante in tournament length (1 Viewer)

Kid_Eastwood

Full House
Reaction score
Hi,

The general rule of thumb is that a NLHE tournament would end +/- at the level where BB = 5% total chips in play given no ante are used.

By experience it's quite accurate.

What would be the effect of the (BB) ante ? Is considering 2.5% instead of 5% would be a good value to get the approximative ending level ?

Kid.

Hi,

The general rule of thumb is that a NLHE tournament would end +/- at the level where BB = 5% total chips in play given no ante are used.

By experience it's quite accurate.

What would be the effect of the (BB) ante ? Is considering 2.5% instead of 5% would be a good value to get the approximative ending level ?

Kid.
Not sure. Possibly. For sure it would end a bit sooner. Level length has an effect too though. For short level lengths, the difference between the two can be somewhat negligible, especially when players don't adjust to playing with an ante.

Not sure. Possibly. For sure it would end a bit sooner. Level length has an effect too though. For short level lengths, the difference between the two can be somewhat negligible, especially when players don't adjust to playing with an ante.

Thinking of 20' levels.

The theory is that wagering sizes are mostly influenced by the size of the initial pot. Which is why bba is seen as an accerlant.

So if an initial pot with standard Sb+BB is 1.5bb an initial pot with Sb+BB+bba is 2.5 BB which is 2/3 bigger.

So I guess it would follow to make the 20bb also 2/3 bigger when considering bba and settle on 34bb.

The 20bb "rule" is considered an overestimate as it is, so approximating at 35bb or even 40bb probably still okay.

The theory is that wagering sizes are mostly influenced by the size of the initial pot. Which is why bba is seen as an accerlant.

So if an initial pot with standard Sb+BB is 1.5bb an initial pot with Sb+BB+bba is 2.5 BB which is 2/3 bigger.

So I guess it would follow to make the 20bb also 2/3 bigger when considering bba and settle on 34bb.

The 20bb "rule" is considered an overestimate as it is, so approximating at 35bb or even 40bb probably still okay.
Sounds good.

Would be perfect if we can get feedback of members who actually used it in a single table tourney.

Sounds good.

Would be perfect if we can get feedback of members who actually used it in a single table tourney.
I use BBA in all my home tournaments of 10-20 players. In my experience, the game usually ends around the 40-50bb in play mark. The chips are rarely distributed evenly, so typically one person is on 15bb or less and the game ends in relatively short order.

The more experienced the players are, the faster heads up will go with stacks of 20bb or less as they will know the correct ranges to shove and call with. But if you are dealing with some typical home game players that rarely raise pre, and won't jam stuff like Q7s, JTs, and small pocket pairs, then it could still take a while.

Sounds good.

Yeah, I haven't put the BBA in play in my tournaments yet, but even the 1-2 table tourneys I host without BBA frequently end on levels with 30-40 BB in play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom