I'm not doing well, guys (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
And girls.

I found out today that my grandfather in Portugal that we were supposed to go see in two weeks passed away this morning. He wasn't doing well for a while but it doesn't make it better. Doesn't sound like it was COVID related, but it sounds like he had a heart attack. He was eating his breakfast this morning, suddenly stopped chewing, and fell face first into his plate. Pronounced dead at the scene by the paramedics. This is a man, whom along with his wife, brought my father and my three aunts to the US in search of bigger and better opportunities without any of them speaking a word of English. He worked at a leather factory for 6, sometimes 7 days a week to make ends meet while my grandmother stayed home with all of their kids.

I'd say he and my grandmother did a hell of a job. My one aunt became an accountant and started a family here. My 2nd aunt married an electrician and was able to retire to Florida when he was 60 and she was 50. My 3rd aunt married a financial adviser and started a family here. Lastly, my father is a Harvard grad and continues to practice as a doctor in the same community he grew up in, got married, and well, here I am.

I had hoped that he would hold on until the pandemic blew over, but not going and seeing him one more time is going to weigh heavy on me for a while.

To add onto everything else, outside of a couple of bouts of norovirus, I don't think I've ever physically felt worse. Started with muscle aches Thursday night, went to sleep thinking nothing of it, woke up the next morning still feeling a bit sore, but nothing that stopped me from taking my son around the neighborhood for a nice long walk. Later that night, I started to have the same body aches, but now also with chills, a fever (101.5 F), and a pounding headache.

The days and nights since then have been hell. I can't get my fever down below 100 F, and even with taking Tylenol, the fever comes back full force 6, sometimes 4 hours later along with the chills. The pulsating headache persists 24/7, no matter what. I've been absolutely miserable. If I don't have COVID, I don't know what the hell I have. I did get tested Saturday and am waiting on the results which should be in tomorrow, Friday the latest. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've never been this miserable for such an extended period of time.

I'm just feeling really sad and helpless right now. My wife is doing her best to care for me from a distance but she also has our son to worry about. I'm sorry that I'm putting this all here, but I don't know what else to do.

TLDR: my grandfather passed away and I might have COVID

My docs always told me you could double up the dosage of NSAIDS, as long as your liver is healthy...hang in there.

And girls.

I found out today that my grandfather in Portugal that we were supposed to go see in two weeks passed away this morning. He wasn't doing well for a while but it doesn't make it better. Doesn't sound like it was COVID related, but it sounds like he had a heart attack. He was eating his breakfast this morning, suddenly stopped chewing, and fell face first into his plate. Pronounced dead at the scene by the paramedics. This is a man, whom along with his wife, brought my father and my three aunts to the US in search of bigger and better opportunities without any of them speaking a word of English. He worked at a leather factory for 6, sometimes 7 days a week to make ends meet while my grandmother stayed home with all of their kids.

I'd say he and my grandmother did a hell of a job. My one aunt became an accountant and started a family here. My 2nd aunt married an electrician and was able to retire to Florida when he was 60 and she was 50. My 3rd aunt married a financial adviser and started a family here. Lastly, my father is a Harvard grad and continues to practice as a doctor in the same community he grew up in, got married, and well, here I am.

I had hoped that he would hold on until the pandemic blew over, but not going and seeing him one more time is going to weigh heavy on me for a while.

To add onto everything else, outside of a couple of bouts of norovirus, I don't think I've ever physically felt worse. Started with muscle aches Thursday night, went to sleep thinking nothing of it, woke up the next morning still feeling a bit sore, but nothing that stopped me from taking my son around the neighborhood for a nice long walk. Later that night, I started to have the same body aches, but now also with chills, a fever (101.5 F), and a pounding headache.

The days and nights since then have been hell. I can't get my fever down below 100 F, and even with taking Tylenol, the fever comes back full force 6, sometimes 4 hours later along with the chills. The pulsating headache persists 24/7, no matter what. I've been absolutely miserable. If I don't have COVID, I don't know what the hell I have. I did get tested Saturday and am waiting on the results which should be in tomorrow, Friday the latest. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've never been this miserable for such an extended period of time.

I'm just feeling really sad and helpless right now. My wife is doing her best to care for me from a distance but she also has our son to worry about. I'm sorry that I'm putting this all here, but I don't know what else to do.

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandfather. Take care of yourself, we all have to be careful with this stuff. I think when its all said and done with that all of us will have been affected by this virus in some way. I really wish you the best.

My docs always told me you could double up the dosage of NSAIDS, as long as your liver is healthy...hang in there.
NSAID's aren't recommended in COVID cases. I'm sticking with Tylenol for now until I know I don't have it. If I test negative, you best believe I'll be loading up on the motrin.

Really sorry to hear this, dude, and you never have to apologise for putting posts like this on here; we are all one community — and we are all here to help one another, now more than ever.

I know there's probably not much I can say to make your situation better, but your grandad sounds like he was one helluva grafter — and he'd be proud of your fighting spirit, too.

Like @Klobberer said, just try and hang in there; take each day as it comes, and know that things WILL get better and easier, slowly but surely.

I'd probably suggest reaching out to a medical professional about your physical symptoms in the meantime, if you can — whether it be in person or on here. Feel free to reach out via PM if you need to talk or just vent, brother.

Last edited:

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather :(

As far as your symptoms, they sound similar to what I encountered at the outset in late January of what I believe was Corona. First few days I had zero energy, my head was pounding, just laid around like a lump, didn't want to do anything.

A few days into it the coughs from hell started, especially when I tried to lie down, so at night when trying to sleep it would keep me up, maybe got 3 hours of sleep per night. The coughing fits were so severe it felt like I couldn't breathe at times and other times they almost caused me to puke.

I remember thinking I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (at the time I just thought it was the flu). It took about a week before I felt almost human again, but I did have some lingering cough/phlegm for another week or so after that even.

Hope you feel better!

Take care and chin up....
My grandfather who was a bit gambler assed away when I was 13th....For many years after he passed away I felt like hej ust went fishing or playing cards and he will be right back. He will always be in your memories

@JMC9389 - I am sorry for your loss. There are soooo many things that make this time more difficult for many people, more complicated and fatiguing. HANG IN THERE BROTHER. Now is the time to FIGHT. Any respiratory issues?

***This info is correct. NSAIDS like Advil (ibuprofen) and Aleeve (Naproxen Sodium) aggravate the virus for some reason according to several reports around the world. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is the correct choice to lower your fever or help with the aches. FWIW, as a pharmacist; I don't recommend you load up on anything except rest, water, and healthy food.

I couldn't finish reading and my eyes are full of water.

I'm heartbroken right along with ya. Good grief!

Best wishes Joe, in this time of need. If I was anywhere near you, I'd come pay my respects.

Very very sorry.

Hang in there bro! I wish you and your family well during this trying time.

Your Grandfather sounds like a very hard worker and a brave man. I always thought if you were going to go, best to go quickly without suffering.

You likely have COVID from what you are describing, but you need to keep a positive attitude. Staying positive and happy is important for immune system . Load up on the acetaminophen and take it on a schedule even if you don't have a fever so it keeps the temperature at bay. Get some elderberry syrup on Amazon. It's good for the immune system, is anti viral, antioxidant, helps with stress and inflammation. It's good for the flu, so I would suspect it's good for COVID. Get out in the sun and outside for a bit for vitamin D, even if it's just to sit in a chair with a blanket on. Try some meditation to help calm your mind.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Jesus - wishing you all the best. Terrible to hear about that and hoping you have a quick and full recovery.

I am so sorry to hear of your grandfather passing :( losing a loved one is hard enough and having regrets of not seeing them before they moved on from this world is always a huge burden to bear. Try to keep your head up high, make them proud of what you have and will continue to become! Remembering your grandfather in good light is key, unpredictable passings are tough for anyone, but knowing that he is always with you is important. Sounds like you have some fighters in your family! Do your best to fight this bug as you are able, I find sleeping, theraflu, and lots of turmeric and ginger in tea or anything you can bear to drink right now. If you need someone to chat with at any time, or just some pr0n of chips Ben and I are always here and will do anything we can!
Also, remember that everything happens for a reason, timing included. As painful as things may be right now, what comes next in life may shed a new light on you and your journey. Hope you feel better soon, and never lose hope!

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather. His life story is truly amazing. My best wishes to you on a speedy recovery and hope for the best. Hang in there.
Jun

The story of your Grandfather's sacrifices and how they forever changed the lives of your Father's family will live on with his passing.

He would want you to count your blessings. Stay strong, take nourishment from your family, and get well JM.

Thoughts and prayers with you brother. Hang in there. Be smart. Stay Hydrated. Take steamy showers to keep lungs clear.

A coworker's partner got sick and they said Gatorade/Powerade/Electrolytes helped A LOT......she recommended everyone get some to have on hand if we catch it....
Take care and hang in there!

Sorry to hear about your grandfather Joe, sounds like he was a great guy. Hang in there, keep in touch with your doc and don't delay getting more help if any shortness of breath becomes a symptom. Praying for you bud.

Hang in there buddy, so sorry for you loss. Can feel the pain from here man, truly, if you ever want to chat about anything feel free to drop a PM if it helps ease your mind a bit. Wishing you all the best.

1) Very sorry about your grandfather and your illness.

2) While Coronavirus seems like a strong possibility, what you describe also reminds me of when I contracted Lyme disease. Terrible chills/fever alternating back and forth, muscle aches, and some of the worst headaches I ever had. I thought my skull was going to crack open on the sides.

I thought it was a flu. I got better in about 7 days. Then it came back a week later, so I knew it was something else. Got the positive Lyme test. A three-week course of doxycycline cleared it up. Also, it was about this time of year.

The ticks have been out for at least two weeks here in the Hudson Valley. I do a lot of outdoor work, and have been brushing them off my pants legs. If you are in New Jersey, they have probably been active even longer since it’s a little warmer there already.

Just something to consider. If the COVID test comes back negative (as I seriously hope it does) maybe ask for a Lyme test as well. Make sure to get some vitamin C in the meantime on top of the other recommendations.

Last edited:
My condolences for your loss. I'm sorry to hear that you have to suffer physically from illness in this period of mourning.

Do take care, and seek necessary medical treatment if your symptoms do not get any better. The COVID pandemic may be the most prevalent now but it sounds like your symptoms are generic and it can be a whole bunch of other stuff as well. Best to get it fully checked out regardless.

My prayers and good JuJu is with you, brother. Take it hour by hour if you need to. Baby steps to feeling better all around.

I don't believe in "thoughts and prayers", but if you are in a bind and your Jersey brothers can't help you out, don't hesitate to reach out. I'll do anything I can to help. Only a couple hours away...

I'm very sorry to hear of your great loss. You were fortunate to know your grandfather and have a good personal relationship with him. Cherish those memories. Now is the time to think of the happy times you visited him. I'm sure he would want you to do that.

In the meantime, take care of yourself, too. Call your doctor and follow his or her advice as to what to do next. (Test or not.) Get better soon.

And girls.

I’m so sorry for your loss bro, I will keep you in my prayers and I pray that you test negative and it’s just a bug that you will get over ASAP so you can be with your family and be the dad You are ment to be!!! god put you on earth for a purpose. Keep your head up bro

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom