im going to move from SNG's to cash games - what are the different things i need to know (1 Viewer)

CHP TD

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All

I really don't know what to ask here other than what does a sng play not know when going to a cash game?

any thoughts

In SNG especially in Australia our blind structure is usually terrible. Makes early game play too loose and mid/late game too tight due to big stacks sitting at around 15BB most of the time essentially turning into a luck fest very quickly. This prevents optimal play in most cases. However in cash game you are mostly sitting around 100BB all the time, gives a lot more playablity and creativity with your play. Most SNG players are simply too predictable with their play and is likely crushed in cash games.

Reactions: Nex
Cash game takes a lot more skill than tournament play since there are no rising blinds that increase the luck factor and force you to play random hands. No rising blinds means you (and everyone else) can wait for good hands, to a certain degree (depending on general table behavior and number of players).

Also you'll be sitting with the same players for a long time, so you have to alter your play style every now and then or the other players will quickly find and exploit your leaks.

Definitely get some good books on cash game play. Harrington wrote two. Can very much recommend. For further reading, there's "Playing the Player" by Ed Miller and "Poker in Practice" by Dusty Schmidt. "Heads Up No Limit Hold'Em" by Collin Moshman also not a bad read if you are primarily looking to play shorthanded cash games (which are harder than full ring, so I suggest you start with FR).

In SNG especially in Australia our blind structure is usually terrible. Makes early game play too loose and mid/late game too tight due to big stacks sitting at around 15BB most of the time essentially turning into a luck fest very quickly. This prevents optimal play in most cases. However in cash game you are mostly sitting around 100BB all the time, gives a lot more playablity and creativity with your play. Most SNG players are simply too predictable with their play and is likely crushed in cash games.

Hi Mark

yeah that my thought as well. that's why i posted this. ive been eaten alive few years ago. once or twice made a profit 6 or 7 times made a loss.

there's got to be something i'm missing...

Tournament play vs cash games are two completely different games that happen to have similar rules.

There are so many differences. As mentioned already the blinds never go up so there is no need to play trash hands, unless you want to.

You should always have at least 100 BB in a cash game so that can win the most with your big hands.

Suited connectors and small pocket pairs are a lot more playable when you are deep enough unlike tournament play.

Conversely hands like KJ and A10 are a lot less playable when deep stacked and have more RIO problems when you flop top pair with them.

If you are really new to cash games you may want to consider a min buy-in strategy to start. Your stack size will be closer to what it is in an average tournament so you may feel more comfortable playing it until you get adjusted.

There are several benefits to a min buy-in, but you won’t make many friends at the table doing so though.

Hi Mark

yeah that my thought as well. that's why i posted this. ive been eaten alive few years ago. once or twice made a profit 6 or 7 times made a loss.

there's got to be something i'm missing...

Its hard to help you unless you tell us a bit of your play style. Cause everyone plays differently and in each style you can optimise play for cash games.

I reckon biggest weakness is post flop play by SNG players, especially for the casual players where the tourney format is generally turbo. For example if villain has A10 and you have J9 with 15BB each. He raises pre and you called. Flop is 8s9s10d.

In a turbo short stacked situation, which is very frequent, do you reckon you could get villain to fold A10 in this spot? Its quite difficult as most SNG players can't fold. However if we got 100BB to navigate, turning your 2nd pair into a bluff is a possibility and could turn an impossible to win situation to a winning play.

Cash game takes a lot more skill than tournament play since there are no rising blinds that increase the luck factor and force you to play random hands. No rising blinds means you (and everyone else) can wait for good hands, to a certain degree (depending on general table behavior and number of players).

Also you'll be sitting with the same players for a long time, so you have to alter your play style every now and then or the other players will quickly find and exploit your leaks.

Definitely get some good books on cash game play. Harrington wrote two. Can very much recommend. For further reading, there's "Playing the Player" by Ed Miller and "Poker in Practice" by Dusty Schmidt. "Heads Up No Limit Hold'Em" by Collin Moshman also not a bad read if you are primarily looking to play shorthanded cash games (which are harder than full ring, so I suggest you start with FR).

aha

Thanks for the recommendations about the books. which one would you suggest i start with?

Thanks for the recommendations about the books. which one would you suggest i start with?

Both Harringtons ("Harrington on Cash Games", Vol. 1+2). Essentially they both are one big book that is sold in two parts for more profit. You even see that with the chapter numbering, #2 picks up at the number #1 ended with. They will give you a good foundation. To note, these don't start at absolute zero but expect the reader to already know the absolute basics of poker. Since Harrington previously wrote a three-part book series on tournaments before these, there are ties to tournament strategy scattered throughout the books, highlighting differences between tournament/cash.

The other three contain advanced concepts (optimized bluffing) you will need in tougher games or if you play online and are useless if you don't have a sound basic strategy for cash games already - they are merely an add-on to that.

Last edited:
Its hard to help you unless you tell us a bit of your play style. Cause everyone plays differently and in each style you can optimise play for cash games.

holy crap i really dont know how to answer that - ive spent all my time trying to find out how others play. Ive never really spent time looking into my play.

im pretty sure im much worse than i think i am judging my cash play.

I can post you both Harrington books as a loan if you want @CHP TD ? Should be cheaper than you buying both. I have read both books but would like to keep them as I lend them to buddies every now and then.

I’d even suggest watching some Andrew neeme and brad Owen vlogs. Those guys play a fairly standardish type cash game strategy.

You’d pick some tips up watching those and they are entertaining as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom