Illustrator help doing rolling edge for ceramics question (2 Viewers)

p5woody

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for Illustrator help, wasn't sure if I should put this in the design forum or off topic.
I have recently started a ceramic chip design where they want them to look like clay chips. I personally don't like this idea but that is what they want. They also want a different spot pattern for each chip.

For the rolling edge, I normally do old fashion geometry to determine edge spot locations. However, in this case each chip is different and they want the spots to look like they are hand made, is there an easy way to create the rolling edge? Each spot is different size and location. Here is a sample chip.

test8.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help with the Illustrator question, haven't used it.

Have you considered having the spots perfectly geometrically aligned and evenly spaced at the exact corner of the face/edge, for a good alignment? Then all the variation in the art making them look like clay inserts goes onto the face and onto the rolling edge itself.

I'm not sure how alignment is physically accomplished during printing, but this may lead to a more fail-safe design for printing. You don't want the alignment off by 90 or 180 degress, with just some of the spots lining up.

Well, if the diameter of 39 mm chip ... then the length of the circumference is ....
one minute I thought ...

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

122,52 mm

IIRC Poker Zombie was talking about the method he used that resulted in literally perfect alignment - i'd PM him if he doesn't respond here.

Looking for Illustrator help, wasn't sure if I should put this in the design forum or off topic.
I have recently started a ceramic chip design where they want them to look like clay chips. I personally don't like this idea but that is what they want. They also want a different spot pattern for each chip.

For the rolling edge, I normally do old fashion geometry to determine edge spot locations. However, in this case each chip is different and they want the spots to look like they are hand made, is there an easy way to create the rolling edge? Each spot is different size and location. Here is a sample chip.

View attachment 7465

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
where did you get this photo?
I can try to do for you image of the edge in Photoshop ...

I believe the intent is to go for #1.

He'll also need separate images for the face and the obverse of the chip. If he uses a mirror image of the face for the obverse, then the top row of pixels in edge 1 need to be in the exact same spot as teh bottom row of pixels in edge 1. But if he uses separate art for the obverse then you need a technique that will allow one edge to align with the top, and the other edge to align with the obverse... and then to hope that the printers never a drop a chip in the wrong way.

Again, I think the wise move is to use a perfect spacing along all the corner edges for both faces and rolling edges. That way, as long as faces and obverse images are on opposite side of the chip and aligned, the edge will align between them - even if either face is accidentally off by 90 or 180 degrees.

Thanks, I guess I need to explain my question better. In a typical design I can use geometry to calculate the placement of each edge spot, each spot is x amount wide equally spaced around the circumference. My question is more about determining the spacing for each spot if they were randomly placed and random width. I would need to do a lot of calculations getting the length of each arc to determine spacing. Was hoping there was an easy way to take the arc and flatten it or measure the arc length. I will also have to ask how printing is done to ensure everything will align.

I think I just convinced myself to do a standard width and placement of each spot, will make my life a lot easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom