IKEA Malsjo Storage Cabinet (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
This looks really nice and got one and put it together with my wife this afternoon. Put together, it looks great.

Assembly was a bitch and a half though. The back piece was boxed folded up in half and it was very difficult to slide it through the dedicated groove in the rear of the piece. On top of that, once it was threaded through, it did not sit flush where it was supposed to on top of the piece. There was about 1 cm of extra wood at the bottom as a result which made attaching the base of the piece very difficult. It only went in after my wife hammered it in and bent the back of the cardboard back piece, which definitely isn't supposed to be done but was the only way to let the base sit flush with the main piece.

Regardless, it's a really nice piece that goes with the rest of the room that will give me lots of storage for incoming chippies in 2021. I put all of my cards on the bottom shelf to clear space on the wire shelves for more of my son's toys and games.

If you're really handy, go for it, but buyer beware otherwise on assembly.

20201219_191020.jpg
20201219_191037.jpg

Congrats (on the assembly, basically):D
I really don't know how much weight these IKEA structures can hold nowadays, though; (in case you intend it for chips also).
The last bookshelf we got from IKEA has proven unable to support books and has repeatedly collapsed under books' weight (paper is indeed heavy).
Probably (on the part of the manufacturer) a combination of cost saving and an estimate that today's people are anyway illiterate and won't read or bother storing books, so a bookshelf is basically for light-weight memorabilia...:(

Congrats (on the assembly, basically):D
I really don't know how much weight these IKEA structures can hold nowadays, though; (in case you intend it for chips also).
The last bookshelf we got from IKEA has proven unable to support books and has repeatedly collapsed under books' weight (paper is indeed heavy).
Probably (on the part of the manufacturer) a combination of cost saving and an estimate that today's people are anyway illiterate and won't read or bother storing books, so a bookshelf is basically for light-weight memorabilia...:(
Apparently can handle 70 pounds per shelf. Should be plenty for a few racks of chips.

Nice choice! Definitely agree on the assembly being a bitch. I did it alone in a somewhat narrow hallway. Ran out of curse words. Confirmed good for holding chips though (please disregard the sloppy looking dude in the reflection):

7A844F37-E825-4A03-88F2-29F991DDB0FA.jpeg

Nice choice! Definitely agree on the assembly being a bitch. I did it alone in a somewhat narrow hallway. Ran out of curse words. Confirmed good for holding chips though (please disregard the sloppy looking dude in the reflection):

View attachment 598105
You were the inspiration to me getting one of these.

My wife was very confused when I was shouting "Erik" instead of "goddammit" or another expletive when the folded up back piece wasn't lining up flush.

Never experienced such problems with IKEA products (and I have put together quite a few, including one from the MALSJÖ series). Maybe the QA procedures are stricter in EU... *hide*

You were the inspiration to me getting one of these.

My wife was very confused when I was shouting "Erik" instead of "goddammit" or another expletive when the folded up back piece wasn't lining up flush.
Haha yeah the back piece was terrible

Looks good! Next step led lights. Somewhere i posted my IKEA Besta with glass shelves and led lights. Best thing ever
Which LED's did you use? I'd need battery powered ones. No electricity outlet around the display cabinet in my unfinished basement:(

I haven't weighed the books, but we 're sick and tired of "repairing" this. Not the case with older IKEA shelves.
IKEA_IMG_1609.jpg

This looks really nice and got one and put it together with my wife this afternoon. Put together, it looks great.

Assembly was a bitch and a half though. The back piece was boxed folded up in half and it was very difficult to slide it through the dedicated groove in the rear of the piece. On top of that, once it was threaded through, it did not sit flush where it was supposed to on top of the piece. There was about 1 cm of extra wood at the bottom as a result which made attaching the base of the piece very difficult. It only went in after my wife hammered it in and bent the back of the cardboard back piece, which definitely isn't supposed to be done but was the only way to let the base sit flush with the main piece.

Regardless, it's a really nice piece that goes with the rest of the room that will give me lots of storage for incoming chippies in 2021. I put all of my cards on the bottom shelf to clear space on the wire shelves for more of my son's toys and games.

If you're really handy, go for it, but buyer beware otherwise on assembly.

View attachment 597926View attachment 597927
Set-ups galore!!! Love the display...well done :tup:

Last edited:
I finally went back down and tried putting some racks on the shelves. This thing is an absolute unit.

Middle shelf can fit eight racks high, three racks wide, and four racks deep, comfortably.

Top shelf can fit nine racks high, three wide, and four deep comfortably.

By my math, this thing can fit 96 racks on the middle shelf and 108 racks on the top shelf. Doing that would exceed the advertised weight limit on the shelves though :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Figure a little over 2 pounds per rack of chips, and I could probably swing 30-35 racks of chips per shelf. Plenty of space for the chippies to breathe and be displayed :)

This would be because it was out of square. Try loosening a couple of screws next time and checking for square before you tighten them back up

Nice setupI really like my Ikea shelf. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t buy 2 from the start. Had one and when I wanted to add a second one, they went out of production. I had to go with something similar but not identical. If you consider adding another display case and want the same, better get it now.
F643E5F3-6D43-4D2C-9A8A-3BA298693105.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom