IKEA Alex storage cabinet (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has used this yet, but it looks like the perfect size. If I didn’t already have a custom chip cabinet, I’d have purchased this in a heartbeat. I spent years looking for a cabinet like this.

C11C6DEC-E975-4744-8C9A-E8DEB26213CF.jpeg

2FA95593-A35D-4B0C-A90C-E48182ED8181.jpeg

only unknowns (possible concerns) would be how sturdy the shelves are, to withstand the weight? However, it seemed sturdy enough to me to give this a shot.

Not sure if anyone has used this yet, but it looks like the perfect size. If I didn’t already have a custom chip cabinet, I’d have purchased this in a heartbeat. I spent years looking for a cabinet like this.

View attachment 662685
View attachment 662686
only unknowns (possible concerns) would be how sturdy the shelves are, to withstand the weight? However, it seemed sturdy enough to me to give this a shot.
Anchor it somehow. Those heavy chip drawers will be cantilevered badly.

View attachment 662685
View attachment 662686
Interested! Any measurements of the interior?

I would be afraid the drawers would need a lot of reinforcement to hold the weight seeing how it's just particleboard. IKEA stuff is never what I would call sturdy.

The drawers looks to be a nice size though. If anyone picks one of these up let us know.

I would be afraid the drawers would need a lot of reinforcement to hold the weight seeing how it's just particleboard. IKEA stuff is never what I would call sturdy.

The drawers looks to be a nice size though. If anyone picks one of these up let us know.
I don't know, their solid wood furniture is pretty good, and for the price unbeatable. I'm really happy with my stuff and have my whole chip collection stored in an Ikea display case.

But yeah, I don't buy any of their particle board stuff anymore. I've learned that lesson.

I don't know, their solid wood furniture is pretty good, and for the price unbeatable. I'm really happy with my stuff and have my whole chip collection stored in an Ikea display case.

But yeah, I don't buy any of their particle board stuff anymore. I've learned that lesson.

I don't doubt that solid wood would be more sturdy but I was going off the material description of the cabinet listed above:

Main parts/ Front\ Particleboard, Acrylic paint, Paper foil, ABS plastic
Bottom panel Particleboard, Paper foil, ABS plastic
Drawer side/ Drawer back Particleboard, Plastic foil
Drawer bottom:Fiberboard, Acrylic paint

I doubt there is a solid piece of wood in this.

I've been nothing but happy with all my recent ikea furniture. I feel that the "ikea = cheap = bad quality" is an old myth. I have a few thousand chips in a Pax ikea drawers and they feel super sturdy to me.

Would definitely consider doing a drawersystem like this if I needed one.

I would definitely remove those wheels underneath though, as well as secure it to a wall.

For sure, I'm with you on that. I just felt obligated to defend Ikea a bit--she's been pretty good to me over the years :)

Edit: responding to Tater

I seen these and thought the exact thing. Perfect chip drawers.

I find ikea is like aldi stores. Some food tastes like crap and some dosent its just like ikea, you have to go see for yourself as some stuff of solid, others are held together with hopes and dreams :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Well, there was a taller more narrow version, that wouldn’t have so much weight suspended across one shelf. This might be a decent alternative or option?

This looks good to store racked up chips, but what's the fun if they can't be seen and displayed in all of their glory?

I bought this behemoth from Ikea late last year that's going to be purposed as my CPC cabinet with all my cards underneath.

20201221_115808.jpg

This looks good to store racked up chips, but what's the fun if they can't be seen and displayed in all of their glory?

I bought this behemoth from Ikea late last year that's going to be purposed as my CPC cabinet with all my cards underneath.

View attachment 662903
Do you remember which model that is?

In terms of this being sturdy enough for poker chips, I think it would depend on how many chips can be stored per shelf.

The bottom of these drawers is a sheet of particle board that is just held in via grooves on each side and held in place by the back of the shelf. So the bottom of each shelf will bow/bend if there's enough weight.

Here's a diagram of these shelves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210325-120716.png
    Screenshot_20210325-120716.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 128

View attachment 662903
Great display. Wish they shipped

^^ This. I own a lot of IKEA furniture, and am a a big IKEA fan, but these particular shelves drawers won't cut it for heavy chips. Maybe at first, but under very heavy weight, they will bow in time. But ikea is good at other things, and there may be other shelves to meet storage needs.

I would highly recommend IKEA's skinny BILLY shelves or other adjustable bookshelf series, and they sell additional shelves to hold additional chips to distribute the weight better. Some of their shelving systems come with glass door options, where chips would be visible, if desired.

Last edited:
I have an Alex unit and highly recommend it. Mine is a different size, it's the one meant to go under a desk so it isn't as wide, but the bottom three drawers are the perfect height for 2 ChipCo racks stacked on top of each other.

Great display. Wish they shipped
Believe they do to most areas now. Check their website! In my area they also offered delivery and assembly. Knowing what I know now, I would have paid the extra fees. Putting it together was a pain in the ass.

For what it is worth, I just got the “Erik” cart from IKEA on recommendation I saw in another post on this forum. I haven’t assembled it yet but it is metal and has two locking drawers. The unit on display seemed sturdy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom