If Not T-Chan, which cloth? (1 Viewer)

joseywales

Straight
Reaction score
This my octagon. There are not many like it, and this one is mine :)

I say not many, because I requested this design 10 years ago when the table was built and there are many haters of the race track here. That said, my group, who complains about the size/temperature of the free water bottles, while they site in 4-way adjustable chairs that are designed for 10 hour days, has never complained about the race track. I merely suggested we remove the armrests, to better accommodate the "mature" physique of many of the players, and was almost locked out of my home.
They don't care about the track. Moving on...

For years, I've been in analysis paralysis about what design for a T-Chan cloth and have come to the conclusion that it's just too hard to find something that works on an octagon. I've even enlisted the help of the women of the household and they unanimously agree that I nailed this table on the first run, size, shape and color. They actually like the look of the octagon center, though a game night solution to fill the track is being pondered.

As you can see in the pictures, there isn't...well we've chosen not to make room for a larger poker table. A lot going on in this room, as you can't see the dartboard area in the pictures, or the recliner. On paper, I've rearranged every piece in that room and this is the best set up. My wife bought me a pool table a couple years ago, was I supposed to say no thank you??? The poker table looks closer than it is and doesn't interfere with billiards.

Because this isn't a dedicated "poker" room, the table aesthetics matter. Also, I'm not sure that octagon leaves enough room for a graphic and cards to play well. I've often thought of asking T-Chan for table cover solutions, for both the poker and the pool table - there might an idea there @T_Chan.

So aside from speed cloth which I already have, or spending on T-Chan, which seems wasteful without a custom graphic. What other cloth ideas do you folks have?
GM3 - Copy.jpg
Table 1 - Copy.jpeg

Very cool setup. I used to have an octagon. I miss it. It was great for self dealing games.

Maybe a blue cloth to match the pool table?

If you have any themes in mind I'd suggest reaching out to someone like @Johnny5 for design ideas. He's very talented. Give him an idea or two and he'll be able to translate that into a few initial designs that will lead you to your ideal solution.

Oh, and definitely go with @T_Chan for the cloth. Top notch.

I like octagons too. And if that racetrack is leather (or any fabric that isn’t wood) it’s A-OK with me.
I say just spring for the Chan cloth. It’s a shame that it’s the same price, whether it’s a custom logo, or a plain cloth, but that’s life. I don’t expect a refund from the restaurant when I get a burger without the pickles; I just enjoy my pickle-free burger.

Thanks. The octagon is perfect for our social game. I can't really grow the game, until we spread out into the basement and I'm a few off for that.

OK. I'll take both of your advice. Looking at my room, I could lean towards a moose theme. Most of what you see and other walls that are covered with items that are personal, or have a story to them. I love some of the rooms I see on here and wouldn't turn most of them down, but I've collected my son's first guitar, dad's moose rack, from a large Canadian moose, etc. and other items were gifts. I've actually cleared off a lot since I took this picture last eek.

As much as I'd like to change it all up, there just isn't time and these are the items that mean most to me anyway. In fact, there wasn't much time for this, so many of these were hung to cover existing hole from the previous owner!

Oh, with regards to price, I paid $250 for this table 10 years ago, plus the $45 for the oak base on Craigslist, so it's just hard to spend big money on the cloth. I feel like upgrading the whole darn table!
GM 1 - Copy.jpg

Another option is the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it one”. Just a thought.

Nice setup as is. Of course, I had a perfectly playable setup before I found this site. Now I’m a HSI set, an add-on to my CPC’s, a custom cloth from Tony (in the works), a totally new CPC set for my brother in law (J5 inlay artwork almost done), several new set ups of cards, a 6-hour round trip to pick up Gasser chairs off eBay, a set of custom DB’s, and..........well, wouldn’t to room look better if I ripped out this carpet and put down hardwood in, so I get it.

Ain’t broken don’t fix it, yep. Nothing was broken until I found this site! Now I have Majestics, Tiki chips, Nine Dragons, Terribles and some Bella’s.
But, the cloth is 10 years old, so had to make a move there.

funny you said carpet, I would rip mine out as well!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom