I was sitting at a Mexican restaurant sipping my margarita... (1 Viewer)

...when my server came up and asked me if I wanted a straw, and now I find myself more deeply concerned about the next generation than I ever have been.
It is common around here now that you only get a straw if you request one. It is now the law in Seattle and Portland.

Either the salt or the straw are decorative. Chances are the waiters consider them both as decorative.
Safest thing is to have straight drinks :D

Who the hell drinks a Margarita with a straw? Should I request one with my Old Fashioned? Or my neat bourbon? LOL.
Seriously. My head is still spinning from this. I’m not sure if the server was simply an idiot, if we’ve failed a generation of drinkers, or perhaps both.

A stirrer? Sure, I can live with that. But a straw, for fucks sake? It better be one of those ginormous frozen hurricane drinks specifically for sharing for two people.

Seriously. My head is still spinning from this. I’m not sure if the server was simply an idiot, if we’ve failed a generation of drinkers, or perhaps both.

A stirrer? Sure, I can live with that. But a straw, for fucks sake? It better be one of those ginormous frozen hurricane drinks specifically for sharing for two people.
I would certainly think that in your neck of the woods, servers (especially in a Mexican restaurant) should know much better than me. I couldn't tell you the last time that I had a margarita.

I'm as baffled as you are Scott. If that happened at a local joint I would have to consider not going back lol.

Who the hell drinks a Margarita with a straw? Should I request one with my Old Fashioned? Or my neat bourbon? LOL.

1583186901511.png

Either the salt or the straw are decorative. Chances are the waiters consider them both as decorative.
Safest thing is to have straight drinks :D
Honestly, you’re not wrong. I wish I could enjoy whiskey/bourbon for various reason. Alas, neither my stomach nor my taste buds can tolerate it.

Honestly, you’re not wrong. I wish I could enjoy whiskey/bourbon for various reason. Alas, neither my stomach nor my taste buds can tolerate it.
Mine can't tolerate it any longer either, but I keep doing it from time to time to honour my personal tradition :LOL: :laugh:
I 'm a stupidly and stubbornly conservative person at the end of the day:D

I think I would have just said “no thanks” and gone about my life. Must be just me

From reading this I actually didn't understand the crux of your issue at first. I would have just chalked it up to the server genuinely trying to be accommodating and not passing judgement. I have known quite a few people who will not drink directly from glasses at restaurants and I bet the server has to deal with people like that every day. It is probably just a reflex to ask anyone and everyone if they would like a straw. Weird to me... but I might be like you and literally would never use a straw unless I am in a car and have a fast food cup.

Last edited:
Sorry, @Psypher1000, but you were the one lacking critical thinking in this situation. This is a server that deals with the general public day in and day out. I just wonder how many times they’ve been berated or denied a tip for something as inane as not asking if the customer wanted a straw.

And I’d be shocked to find out that the customers who made such a big deal out of something so small are part of the generation you’re writing off due to a server being attentive enough to notice your drink didn’t have a straw.

And yes, I realize your post probably wasn’t meant to be entirely serious but for some reason it irks me to joke about a generation being hopeless because they were being too nice to you?

*blinks*

because they were being too nice to you not being particularly thoughtful about what they were doing or asking

More like that ^^^ . When he asked the question my response was simply, “For use with a salt-rimmed margarita?“ at which point he immediately realized the silliness of the question. We laughed and went about our business. I took nothing off his tip, and am a fairly heavy tipper as these things go because those cats are the purveyors of my fun. I take care of them so that, if I come back, they take good care of me (although in this case for reasons having nothing to do with a straw, I’ll likely never see him or be served by him again). And besides, they deal with a lot of shit. I worked customer service for years, both in person and over the phones. People are assholes, particularly when alcohol is involved.

Mate, I’m definitely NOT to be taken too seriously, if seriously at all (see the Official Set Rating Thread for examples), and a quick history lesson on ol’ Psypher: I’ve a degree in secondary ed, am very pro-student/pro-young person, and will always be a teacher at heart even though I left the profession proper over 15 years ago. So yeah, my comment about the loss of an entire generation - juuuust a giant bit of hyperbole. BUT margaritas down here are kinda like beers up there - it’s sorta like our state drink, and I’ve got over a thousand of them under my belt (and starting to have the waistline to prove it :( ). So when some cat asks me a question that’s quite a bit ridiculous AND one that I’ve never been asked before in over 20 years of exposure and more than 1k opportunities, that’s pretty literally in the top tenth of one percent of bartop whatthefuckery I’ve experienced. You can bet ima call that out somewhere. This is that somewhere.

*blinks*

More like that ^^^ . When he asked the question my response was simply, “For use with a salt-rimmed margarita?“ at which point he immediately realized the silliness of the question. We laughed and went about our business. I took nothing off his tip, and am a fairly heavy tipper as these things go because those cats are the purveyors of my fun. I take care of them so that, if I come back, they take good care of me (although in this case for reasons having nothing to do with a straw, I’ll likely never see him or be served by him again). And besides, they deal with a lot of shit. I worked customer service for years, both in person and over the phones. People are assholes, particularly when alcohol is involved.

Mate, I’m definitely NOT to be taken too seriously, if seriously at all (see the Official Set Rating Thread for examples), and a quick history lesson on ol’ Psypher: I’ve a degree in secondary ed, am very pro-student/pro-young person, and will always be a teacher at heart even though I left the profession proper over 15 years ago. So yeah, my comment about the loss of an entire generation - juuuust a giant bit of hyperbole. BUT margaritas down here are kinda like beers up there - it’s sorta like our state drink, and I’ve got over a thousand of them under my belt (and starting to have the waistline to prove it :( ). So when some cat asks me a question that’s quite a bit ridiculous AND one that I’ve never been asked before in over 20 years of exposure and more than 1k opportunities, that’s pretty literally in the top tenth of one percent of bartop whatthefuckery I’ve experienced. You can bet ima call that out somewhere. This is that somewhere.

I didn’t think much of it until you piled on by calling him an idiot. Sounds like you two had a laugh about it, considering he was probably on auto pilot doing his job. Seems like a weird choice to come and shit on him rather than tell it like a funny moment you shared with him.

I really have no idea why this bugs me, but here we are.

There are two things wrong with this picture. Circle them.
View attachment 416790

the straw and the beer is a pony? Please tell me you do not dislike a corona Rita?

one of my favorite Mexican drinks is a dirty beer. Salted rim, cup of ice, disconcerting amount of lemon juice, beer poured on top. It tastes like ocean water and yet is delicious.

I told a guy he’d be eating through one if he asked another question that stupid. Boomer expression.

...when my server came up and asked me if I wanted a straw, and now I find myself more deeply concerned about the next generation than I ever have been.

The other day I was sitting at a restaurant in Mexico sipping my margarita.......
when my server came up and said "quieres una popote para tu margarita"
and I had no idea what she just said.
So I confidently smiled and replied, "Uno mas margarita señorita por favor".

Don't worry, I have bamboo straws I bought in Vietnam. I'll give you two (one for the mrs.) so you can drink without any conscience issues!

Your dentist will recommend drinking everything with a straw to minimize sugary drink contact with your teeth...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom