I love trees! I really do. (1 Viewer)

Bro... we have 6.5 acres and maybe 1/2 was "kept up with" when we bought it, now @FordPickup92 and I maintain about 4 acres of woods......
looks fantastic!

Ben & 99% and anyone else with more than just a few acres, what do you find to be the easiest/best way to get rid of all the fallen trees on the forest floor?

I have 65 acres of woods and it has become a major mess. I used to haul everything to a central burn pile and have a massive bon fire every yr, but it is A LOT of work so I gave up on that a few years back. Obviously doing nothing isn't working very well either.... lol ...I have John Deere 1025r that has a PTO which could handle a wood chipper, but I doubt that would cut it. I have literally dozens of standing dead teees and probably hundreds of substantial trees down on the forrest floor. I would love to get it all cleaned up, but I just don't think the John Deere would have enough power to handle the volume required. I NEED something substantial. I am considering purchasing a CTL (Compact Track Loader/Skid Steer) that could handle a forestry chipper which seems like the perfect ticket, but the forestry chipper is something like 30k alone so this would be a spendy fix.

Any great ideas?

My tree is the last f%ucking tree in the neighborhood to lose it's leaves every year, without fail. I probably have another 4 weeks until they'll all be down.

My tree is the last f%ucking tree in the neighborhood to lose it's leaves every year, without fail. I probably have another 4 weeks until they'll all be down.
Is it an oak by any chance? My 2 big oaks are always the last around here. It is funny to think about how it makes us mad.

This has been cool. I do enjoy seeing pics of people’s yards. Keep em coming actually.

I loved my Oak Trees. Missing them. Money fell off of those trees on poker night.

1667792056493.png

Last edited:
looks fantastic!

Ben & 99% and anyone else with more than just a few acres, what do you find to be the easiest/best way to get rid of all the fallen trees on the forest floor?

I have 65 acres of woods and it has become a major mess. I used to haul everything to a central burn pile and have a massive bon fire every yr, but it is A LOT of work so I gave up on that a few years back. Obviously doing nothing isn't working very well either.... lol ...I have John Deere 1025r that has a PTO which could handle a wood chipper, but I doubt that would cut it. I have literally dozens of standing dead teees and probably hundreds of substantial trees down on the forrest floor. I would love to get it all cleaned up, but I just don't think the John Deere would have enough power to handle the volume required. I NEED something substantial. I am considering purchasing a CTL (Compact Track Loader/Skid Steer) that could handle a forestry chipper which seems like the perfect ticket, but the forestry chipper is something like 30k alone so this would be a spendy fix.

Any great ideas?
I haven't done much in the 5 years I've lived here... I should, but I haven't. Of the 12 acres about 3 is lawn, it's all flat, some wet with ferns. Some monster pines, but mostly hardwood- Maple, Birch, Oak, Black Walnut. I planted more fruit trees this spring and actually harvested 35 peaches off a little 4 foot tall tree (possum and deer took out my older peach tree crop- usually get a good bushel out of it, now have 3 more and a few plum. I believe the area was all apple trees at one time, there are still a few older ones on the property. I Love the area, 8 miles from the ocean, 10 min to Mass (not sure if that's a good thing though I do work there), 20 min to Maine - our huge 20 mile coastline.

Reactions: 72o
looks fantastic!

Any great ideas?
I mean we do it 100% manual labor way, I cut them all into 3 - 4 ft pieces and hault them to the dump... but we are only allowed up to 8", they let me go up to 12" diameter so the larger stuff I have a natural stream that I cut them up and throw in the stream to rot. But often the laying stuff is still solid in the center so often I cut it for fire wood and still burn it.

We also have a 45 acre farm in VA and yeah... that's what we do there... this was last night on the farm
20221105_195338.jpg

We sent years cutting trails and bridges through the property. But it is a never ending smount of work!

Beautiful leaves falling Saturday. Owning looking like snow
20221105_083209.jpg

Unfortunately no deer but tons of Turkeys
20221105_075154.jpg

We have about 15 acres of field and 30 acres of woods. But we haul everything out to the field and burn it up woth carts behind 4 wheelers, again all manual work
1104171005a.jpg

It's about 4 hours away but beautiful place
1104171641.jpg

Logging roads we cut around 2005 and didn't even own a tractor at the time. My dad has a 33 HP kabota now and a few 23Hp Kabota with 72" mowing decks

But unfortunately maual labor is all I have ever known! Lol

This time of year really is unreasonable from a weather perspective. It was 78 today and will get down to 52 tonight which means I’ll have to make more Paloma’s and drag myself into the hot tub again.

View attachment 1019330
it dipped below 70 degrees here in San Diego. I had to dig out my jeans and hoodie!

I mean we do it 100% manual labor way......

We also have a 45 acre farm in VA and yeah... that's what we do there...

We sent years cutting trails and bridges through the property. But it is a never ending smount of work!

Beautiful but we haul everything out to the field and burn it up with carts behind 4 wheelers, again all manual work.....

.....unfortunately maual labor is all I have ever known! Lol
Your places both look and sound lovely and I'm sure even though pics look awesome, they probably don't do it justice.

My problem is that I have what you have x4. I have a total of 165 acres and 65 of that is woods with most of the rest planted in corn most years. I used to do what you are doing. It was somewhat manageable when I had more help, but I am kind of on my own now as far as the help goes. I don't have the help or the energy that I used to, so for the last 10 yrs or so I have concentrated my efforts on the non-woods trails and already maintained part and more or less ignored the woods. All the downed trees/mess in the woods is starting to really bother me, so that is why I am looking for a solution that 1 person can manage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom