I just can't stop making friends (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Just left this review on Google, Facebook and Yelp for a pest control company we used to use:

On a recommendation of a friend we started using Liberty for our personal home. At first the service was great, we typically had a guy named Ed who came out and we were pleased with the service.

But over time other employees started coming out, and they either weren't as experienced or as thorough as Ed had been. After treatment we were still noticing bugs in the house, so we'd have to ask them to come respray.

Eventually it reached a point where we were tired of constantly asking them to respray and we cancelled service and started spraying ourselves.

Recently my wife responded on Nextdoor detailing her issues with Liberty, and then the owner John emailed us with the following threat (the below text is copied directly from Johns email to us and are his words verbatim)

Your comments about my company on social media are baseless. They are defined as defamation of character in Florida, which is both libel and slanderous.

The monetary damage caused is immeasurable to which retribution can be expected.

However, I will not pursue retribution if my company's name is removed from your posting within 12 hours from now, 9:15am tomorrow morning, Saturday, March 27, 2021

I wish I had seen it before my wife had, as she removed her comment on Nextdoor because of this bullying tactic.

If John has threatened you with "retribution" for leaving your opinion on his companies service, you are actually protected under the law. Sharing your experience and opinion of service is not a crime, and the onus is on him in court to prove actual libel or slander. The truth is an actual defense in court against such an accusation.

Be aware I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice, do your own research or consult with an attorney.

Anyway, I'm even more happy we stopped using his service if his way of silencing negative reviews is to try and intimidate those who share them.

I just can't help but make friends wherever I go lol

Better business bureau and chamber of commerce might be some places to lodge a complaint against this kind of behavior.

I had a lawn service once, and the first year was great. Then we started getting weeds here and there and they would have to come respray. Finally, someone put dye in his tank and the applicator was so dumb, he came for a full treatment, but when I got home only the edges along the driveway and street were dyed. You could tell he drove up, made three swipes down the edges of the concrete and then left. The business owner actually came out to my house because he didn’t believe it. He refunded my money and I cancelled my service.

Also it's Florida and the bugs have won and the war is over so there's that.

Also also, I'm not a lawyer, but the guy threatening you and your wife with 'retribution' for a bad review is a bad person.

I'd re-post the review with the additional information that the owner of the company threatened you with legal action over the post. That's just me, but also why I 1) don't post reviews online... I'm not volunteering my time to help your business and 2) generally don't rely on online reviews anyways mostly for the reasons why your review was flagged....

I'd re-post the review with the additional information that the owner of the company threatened you with legal action over the post. That's just me, but also why I 1) don't post reviews online... I'm not volunteering my time to help your business and 2) generally don't rely on online reviews anyways mostly for the reasons why your review was flagged....

My wife didn't leave a review, it was a comment in response to someone on Nextdoor. Nothing was flagged, he just threatened her.

I already went and left reviews on Facebook, Yelp and Google, sharing our experience with his service AND including his emailed threats verbatim.

I HOPE he tries to sue me over it, cause I'll slap the shit out of him in court

Last edited:
My wife didn't leave a review, it was a comment in response to someone on Nextdoor. Nothing was flagged, he just threatened her.

I already went and left reviews on Facebook, Yelp and Google, sharing our experience with his service AND including his emailed threats verbatim.

I HOPE he tries to sue me over it, cause I'll slap the shit out of him in court
1616937098070.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom