I heart Florida so much... (2 Viewers)

Psypher1000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
A legitimate and non-fictional headline from what may be the union’s strangest state:

702B6806-BEB4-4C6A-9100-759AC2A4677C.jpeg

I will admit my interest is sufficiently piqued that I want to visit Florida just to take it all in. I don't just mean this headline but everything...

FWIW Iguanas are really common in South Florida but are a non-native invasive species. They were brought up from the Caribbean and Central America as stowaways on trading/rum ships. South Florida is the tropics/subtropics so 95% of the time we have tropical weather with the exact same weather as the Caribbean/C America but we occasionally we get this cold air (38F at my house in Miami this morning) that the Caribbean/C America never experiences. The cold blooded Iguanas which live in the crowns of palm trees essentially "freeze" up solid and fall out and can even hit people in the head. Large male iguanas are absolutely massive. Seriously. If the iguanas are on the ground when they "freeze" you could literally just pick them up with your hand.

Last edited:
FWIW Iguanas are really common in South Florida but are a non-native invasive species. They were brought up from the Caribbean and Central America as stowaways on trading/rum ships. South Florida is the tropics/subtropics so 95% of the time we have tropical weather with the exact same weather as the Caribbean/C America but we occasionally we get this cold air (38F at my house in Miami this morning) that the Caribbean/C America never experiences. The cold blooded Iguanas which live in the crowns of palm trees essentially "freeze" up solid and fall out at hit people in the head. Seriously. If the iguanas are on the ground when they "freeze" you could literally just pick them up with your hand.

So when they freeze are they dead? Can they thaw out and keep on living later? Big if true.

So when they freeze are they dead? Can they thaw out and keep on living later? Big if true.

They stay alive unless they fall out of the trees/building/wires and injure themselves when they fall. They are vulnerable to predators like pets and birds when they freeze so they usually retreat to the treetops when they start to get too cold. It’s unfortunate because then they are liable to hurt themselves when they fall from those heights when it gets really cold like today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom