I hate speed surveillance cameras / possible ticket coming in (1 Viewer)

Puggy

Flush
Reaction score
FRAK!

I run into this kind of flash in my home city today (this is not the picture though):

FRAK.jpg

The speed limit in some city areas is only 40 km /h (= 24.8548477 mph)
My meter was showing 49 km/h (= 30.4471884 mph)

I can minus 3 km/h (= 1.86411358 mph) as a meter error, but still some speeding.
Now waiting for a possible ticket to arrive. I was just disrupted a little bit and speeded that little bit.

I can but hate those speed survaillance cameras in civilian police cars.

Yep. Looks like a lot of childs around so that control makes really sense...
Christmas time, need money for the xmas party.
First round of beer goes on you :)

Prolly no ticket for going that amount over the limit, might receive a note though.

Yepp, let's hope for the note only. Especially since I haven't got a speeding ticket for over twenty years.
And if I save that extra 75 euros, it will go to my CPC chiproll for Colony Clubs.

I think up to 10 km/h over the limit it's just a note.

Muumilaakson_poliisi.jpg

I hate those too. I don't mind the "run a red light" cameras. But the speed ones, man I hate them -- because I "do the crime", no doubt!

Here in the states it is a stoplight camera not a speeding camera that is most likely to get you (although in some areas they have airplane enforcement of speed). The terrible thing about the stop light cameras is that they shorten the lights to try to catch you in the intersection.

Here in the states it is a stoplight camera not a speeding camera that is most likely to get you (although in some areas they have airplane enforcement of speed). The terrible thing about the stop light cameras is that they shorten the lights to try to catch you in the intersection.

In the US: If you already are driving into the intersection, and the light turns yellow, are you allowed to go through or do you have to make a panic breaking and stop?

We have stop light cameras all over our city. The ticket is quite expensive and can potentially take away funds that can be used for other things such as purchasing new sets

Ouch! That is just so sneaky!

I got caught speeding by one of those...on the Autobahn...Yes in Germany...Apparently there are limits in some sections.
I was impressed that they got my fine to me in Canada...
Talk about unexpected vacation expense!

We don't have them, yet. There was backlash against speed cameras on city highways to the extent that if they needed the cameras then we don't need the police officers! Wisconsin does use airplanes checking speeds and dangerous drivers on the interstate highways (usually close to Illinois).

Ouch! That is just so sneaky!

I got caught speeding by one of those...on the Autobahn...Yes in Germany...Apparently there are limits in some sections.
I was impressed that they got my fine to me in Canada...
Talk about unexpected vacation expense!

Wow. I never could've thought they use those in GERMAN AUTOBAHN's where the speed of 100 mph is a norm and 120 just a little overspeed.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

We have those standalone speed cameras nearly everywhere in our bigger highways.

1178193.jpg

And lately they have started to paint them with camo colors, so they are becoming really hard to spot (unless you don't know where they
are located or you don't have the applications which warns you of them).

My GPS alerts me when I am coming up to a red light cameras in my area. We don't have speed cameras that I am aware of yet.

And lately they have started to paint them with camo colors, so they are becoming really hard to spot (unless you don't know where they

Looks like a death trap. Should have a guard rail or action block.

Notes? 3 km over? "shortening the light?" I've never heard of any of this. (The timing of the yellow light is supposed to be based on the speed limit.)

Jeff: If you floor it at all the yellow lights, your luck eventually runs out. (I know from experience.)

As for speed, they taught us in the police academy that 20 mph over the limit is a good stop. Less than 20 mph over is a "cheap stop." Some places have lower tolerance -- 15 over -- but I've never met an officer who admits to stopping anyone for less than 15 over. Perhaps other states are different.

But I do think speed cameras are coming to the U.S. Eventually, there will need to be federal or state laws prohibiting the raising of revenue through traffic tickets. One system that seems to work is telling the various police agencies they can write all the tickets the officers feel necessary, but after a certain point, all revenue goes to the state government.

FYI, all the good cops I've ever met hate writing speeding tickets. (And I mean, they really, really hate it.)

Europe has a MUCH different outlook on these enforcement tools than NA does. Here, people get pissed because the fine goes to "the car" rather than "the driver", so the owner pays even in the UNLIKELY event that they were not driving at the time.

Red light cameras have been shown to actually INCREASE the number of accidents at intersections where they are in use, as drivers attempt to either clear the intersection too quickly, or stop too quickly to avoid the camera lens.

I have no issues myself with photo radar as I do not exceed posted limits on our highways. I LIKE my cruise control.

There is a small town in Wisconsin between Madison and Oshkosh; Rosendale, that will pull you over for 5 MPH over the 25 speed limit. I use cruise control through there after receiving my ticket.
The local convenience store sells t-shirts with a squad car on it and the caption, "Rosendale; its the ticket!"

As for speed, they taught us in the police academy that 20 mph over the limit is a good stop. Less than 20 mph over is a "cheap stop." Some places have lower tolerance -- 15 over -- but I've never met an officer who admits to stopping anyone for less than 15 over. Perhaps other states are different.

To be honest, I'm not sure if these rules are federal (the same in all states). I believe you may not be in the intersection when it turns red. Turning right on red is governed by the local law. Some intersections allow right turn on red after stopping, others do not. The ones that prohibit right turn on red have signs saying so.

Here, people get pissed because the fine goes to "the car" rather than "the driver", so the owner pays even in the UNLIKELY event that they were not driving at the time.

If you are a one or two car family with two driving teenagers, it may not be as unlikely as you think.

Here, people get pissed because the fine goes to "the car" rather than "the driver", so the owner pays even in the UNLIKELY event that they were not driving at the time.

We have that here in Australia but people can sign a stat dec to say that they were driving and have the fine and the demerit points transferred to the 'correct' person.

This can also be abused though by people who would normally be disqualified from driving by the demerit points still driving because a generous family member lies and takes the fine themselves.

I am about to move to a state that loves having speed cameras combined with red light cameras at intersections. So if you accelerate to beat the red you get stung, if you stay the same speed and hit the red you get stung so it slows everyone down and traffic moves at a crawl.

There is a small town in Wisconsin between Madison and Oshkosh; Rosendale, that will pull you over for 5 MPH over the 25 speed limit. I use cruise control through there after receiving my ticket.
The local convenience store sells t-shirts with a squad car on it and the caption, "Rosendale; its the ticket!"

I hear that Searchlight, Nevada, is even worse. Major highway, speed limits ratchets down to 25 MPH over an extremely short distance, and there is no tolerance. Then when the limits start increasing again, you dare not speed up until you actually reach the sign with the higher limit, not when it comes into view. I'm grateful to the car rental agency for the heads up.

When I started driving (in 1997, suburban Chicago IL) I was told by a police officer I was friendly with that the general rule on speeding was "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine" - and more like 5 in residential areas. I never actually heard of anyone getting a ticket for going 5 over, but I knew plenty of people that got them for going 8-15 over. I don't think I've ever seen someone get a ticket in Tennessee for going less than 15 over, but then again the speed limits are higher, there's a lot less driving on heavily-residential streets in general, and also the drivers tend to be less reckless in general. :p

Actual traffic laws vary by state. In IL you must be through the intersection before the light turns red - in TN I believe you just have to be in it. In IL when making a turn onto a multiple-lane road, you are required to turn into the nearest lane - if one car is turning right and one is turning left onto the same road, technically both can turn at the same time, and if there is an accident it is the fault of the driver not turning into the correct lane. In TN the right-turning driver always has the right-of-way to turn into whichever lane he chooses. In IL you can pull into an intersection from a left-turn lane, and can turn once the light changes and oncoming traffic stops, regardless of other factors - in TN this is not allowed.

I THINK we have had a few traffic cameras installed within the past few years (sometimes I see an intermittent flash around certain traffic lights.) I haven't heard of anyone actually receiving a ticket, warning, or notice based on that though.

View attachment 4037

Wait, what? They camouflage the b@st@rds? In the UK, speed cameras are usually visible and are usually painted bright orange/yellow. There are also usually signs warning of a speed trap area, such as roadworks etc. Any police officer using a handheld speed meter also has to be visible - he can't just jump out from behind a hedge! They still catch plenty of people though!

A couple of years ago I saw alot of pictures coming out of the UK where people were throwing an old tyre over the camera, filling it with fuel and torching it to destroy the camera. Not sure if it was a couple of isolated incidents but certainly sums up alot of frustration over revenue raising.

Also this story from earlier in the year which everyone loved about a speed camera being stolen.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-elizabeth-downs/story-fni6uo1m-1226768084173

We have that here in Australia but people can sign a stat dec to say that they were driving and have the fine and the demerit points transferred to the 'correct' person.

This can also be abused though by people who would normally be disqualified from driving by the demerit points still driving because a generous family member lies and takes the fine themselves.

I am about to move to a state that loves having speed cameras combined with red light cameras at intersections. So if you accelerate to beat the red you get stung, if you stay the same speed and hit the red you get stung so it slows everyone down and traffic moves at a crawl.

which is why I moved to a town with only one set of lights. :)

at least we now have an express way that goes both ways.

Wait, what? They camouflage the b@st@rds?

Here they use normal non-police vehicles and retrofit speed cameras into them and put them on the side of the road with no marking.

This is an old facebook page but you can see some of the police car images and how they look like normal cars.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Police-Cars-Gotta-catch-em-all/109583795737497

What they also do for 'marked' speed cameras is to place the 'speed camea' sign at the front of the vehicle so it is only visible after passing he entrapment area.

http://www.roadsmart.com.au/articles/mobile-speed-cameras/

All in all its BS and what really pisses me off is when they come out and say that the reason they are there is because 'the road death toll has increased'. Of course its going to increase, the bloody population is increasing which means more people on the road which means more people will die.

You need to look at it from the point of view of a percentage of the population and if you do that you will see it is going down year on year for the last 40 years. But that doesnt inspire fear in the population and wouldnt justify the cops revenue raising through these cameras.

A couple of years ago I saw alot of pictures coming out of the UK where people were throwing an old tyre over the camera, filling it with fuel and torching it to destroy the camera. Not sure if it was a couple of isolated incidents but certainly sums up alot of frustration over revenue raising.

This actually happened to the temporary speed camera on my usual trip to work. One guy was so sick of being caught by the camera (his own stupid fault 'cos everyone knew it was there) that he set fire to it - it was never replaced so he eventually won, I suppose!

The actual U.S. Supreme Court decision (from the 1980s) is that the police can stop you for 3 or more over the limit -- the amount the justices thought was noticeable to the driver. The justices actually went out driving in Washington D.C., to decide the case, after a drug dealer claimed the police had stopped him for a trivial violation. What they effective said was, "When you are 3 mph or more over the speed limit, you know it."

Five over in Wisconsin sounds unusual. I know people say the same about where I work, but no one has ever been pulled over for anything close to that. Usually, people say, "The cop stopped me for 9 over!" They were actually going 22 over, and the officer reduced the speed to 9 over. It's called a "street plea," and is very common. After they get a ticket, the driver's defense mechanisms kick in, and they tell their friends they got popped for "going 9 over," to make it seem like the cop was just out to get anyone -- not that they were driving too fast.

It's easier to understand if you realize police really do think in black and white. You either committed robbery, or you didn't. You either shot somebody, or you didn't. You either went over the speed limit (which was 25), or you didn't. "By how much" really doesn't matter. Have you ever heard anyone in prison for armed robbery say, "But I just robbed her a little bit, I used a little gun, and only beat her up a little bit?"

And if the officer stops you for 22 over and reduces it to 9, then hears that you're taking it to court or complaining to his boss, what he thinks is this: "I cut that guy a major break, saved him $200 so his kid in the back seat could have Christmas, and stopped him from getting a suspended driver's license for reckless driving and losing his job, and now he's trying to take my job."

And yes, I have had someone (more than one person, actually), try to kill me over a speeding ticket.

Speeding is one of the few things everybody does almost all the time, and it's the only violation of the law they rationalize by suggesting it should be tolerated. The great race car driver Mario Andretti wrote a great piece in USA Today a few years ago to talk about why people speed -- all the social and economic reasons, vehicle engineering, etc.

On a lighter note, I cut a big break to a guy once because of his bumper sticker. He was flying -- 25 or 30 over. He was very polite, and his bumper sticker said, "Drive it like you stole it."

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom