I hate competition .... (1 Viewer)

i-must-break-you-movies-quote-450x300.png

The main thing I’ve noticed in my 5-6 year absence from chipping is the increase in hoarding and panic buying for the sake of it. Apart from Paulson and bcc no longer selling, it seems to be a big factor in the crazy pricing.

We are all guilty of it though. Who doesn’t want moar chips.

Maybe we all just need to chill out with the buying up of sets.

Prices are going up, more people are interested in nice sets. It's getting to be a real rat fest going after chips. It's not as fun as it used to be. Sure, you can still find a deal every now and then, but I seem to be losing interest, ...... maybe o_O

Totally agreed. and it has become nearly impossible to complete sets without paying exorbitantly for desired chips. One solution could be to come up with more GBs, perhaps two well-designed projects every year, to satisfy some chippers, while flushing some odds and ends and maybe even large sets from some hoarders who may want to swap out the old for the shiny new.

Group Buys for what? No bulk discount at CPC for custom clays. So that leaves ceramics. Maybe China clays if we can find an interested vendor.

Group Buys for what? No bulk discount at CPC for custom clays. So that leaves ceramics. Maybe China clays if we can find an interested vendor.

Ceramic hybrids. Last year's BWLK/ACB and Iron Bank sets had huge pre-orders and OWPS's various sets did a decent job of picking up where they left off, but based on all the comments, there seems to be significant (and continued) appetite for well-designed ceramic hybrid sets.

I dunno about CCs. They would have to be some straight up THC with top hats or the like to rustle the jimmies of OG chippers. Otherwise, it's just another cool stepping stone for newer chippers.

I agree. And I do hear that there is no discount at CPC, but what if someone came up with a set that would attract 40-50K order? e.g., the legendary ducks or the ACF tourney set :D

I agree. And I do hear that there is no discount at CPC, but what if someone came up with a set that would attract 40-50K order? e.g., the legendary ducks or the ACF tourney set :D
The worst CPC could say is no. 50k chips is a lot, though. Getting that big of a commitment could be done, but it would have to be a heckuva set. It would be nice if a group buy like that was big enough that the secondary market was relatively robust.

The worst CPC could say is no. 50k chips is a lot, though. Getting that big of a commitment could be done, but it would have to be a heckuva set. It would be nice if a group buy like that was big enough that the secondary market was relatively robust.

50K was in the neighborhood of the pre-order commitment for the BWLK/ACB alone (y) :thumbsup:

Prices are going up, more people are interested in nice sets. It's getting to be a real rat fest going after chips. It's not as fun as it used to be. Sure, you can still find a deal every now and then, but I seem to be losing interest, ...... maybe o_O
You sound like exactly how I felt this morning when I woke up and saw my max bid of $10 (for what should be a $3 chip) was outbid.
I was really annoyed the last time I won one of these chips and had to pay over 9 bucks. Now I see a different bidder went over 10. Makes me want to give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: ovo
You sound like exactly how I felt this morning when I woke up and saw my max bid of $10 (for what should be a $3 chip) was outbid.
I was really annoyed the last time I won one of these chips and had to pay over 9 bucks. Now I see a different bidder went over 10. Makes me want to give up.
I've been watching Stardust dollars cic, don't need any, always looking for cheap, but the last few auctions went for over 12 dollars and I'm thinking , wtf ??

Yeah I feel you there. It has gotten where it's become cheaper to buy retail direct from Spinettis or elsewhere than try and pick up chips for a little bargain on eBay. Lots of new chippers in the market and they are willing to pay well over market value & tend to buy way more than they need so they can resell later once the supply gets low. It is the other side of the double edge sword that is the growth of our chipping hobby.

Reactions: ovo
Ceramic hybrids. Last year's BWLK/ACB and Iron Bank sets had huge pre-orders and OWPS's various sets did a decent job of picking up where they left off, but based on all the comments, there seems to be significant (and continued) appetite for well-designed ceramic hybrid sets.
Those chips are very cool, but at a buck apiece, I’ll keep shopping for clay, albeit fruitlessly.

Way over the previous market value perhaps. If enough people are paying "over market value", then I would think that becomes the new market value of said chips.
Sad but true. Can’t give it a “like” though.

Way over the previous market value perhaps. If enough people are paying "over market value", then I would think that becomes the new market value of said chips.

Oh yeah the market is on the upswing for sure. Unfortunately my budget stays the same or continues to go downward as I get older. ;)

Maybe all this competition will turn into a demand and will be realized by a chip company like Paulson. Idk maybe they orchestrated all of it. This reminds me of limited items like shoes and sneakerheads situation. Hopefully Paulson will make a turn back into consumer chips.

Which places makes custom chips of Paulson quality? I might have some quality designs. And how detailed can you get with these customs? Custom imprints and very detailed outer chip progression "paint"? Sorry for not knowing my terminology

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom