"I didn't like it the second time I ate it either" (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I hosted a game a couple of weeks ago. A normal Saturday game, dinner at 6:45, cards at 7:15. We ended up with ten players.

Dinner was chicken cordon blue, tossed salad, garlic bread and homemade cookies. It certainly seemed like a big hit. everything was gone before nine as a number of players made a second trip through the buffet. . . .

One of the players was running hot and ends up sending three players home broke and crying. The game is a $20 buy in game, so this guy's $305 worth of winnings is a huge haul. He is, by far, the biggest winner.

When the end of the night comes, typically the players toss in a few chips to help defray the cost of hosting. So the big winner tosses in a quarter, making something of a production of it. One of the other players chirps in, saying that dinner likely cost $100 can't you contribute more than a quarter?

The big winner says, " I didn't much care for dinner tonight."

The other player responds, " The dinner still cost $100. And if you didn't like the meal, why did you go back for seconds?"

The big winner replies, " I didn't like it the second time either!"

I guess I should have been grateful to have gotten the quarter.

( it wasn't a big deal, but I got a hoot out of interaction over getting a second serving ) -=- DrStrange

PS yes, A quarter means $0.25 not $25. A $25 tip from a single player would be remarkable and exceedingly rare. Oh and very welcome.

Last edited:
I hosted a game a couple of weeks ago. A normal Saturday game, dinner at 6:45, cards at 7:15. We ended up with ten players.

Dinner was chicken cordon blue, tossed salad, garlic bread and homemade cookies. It certainly seemed like a big hit. everything was gone before nine as a number of players made a second trip through the buffet. . . .

One of the players was running hot and ends up sending three players home broke and crying. The game is a $20 buy in game, so this guy's $305 worth of winnings is a huge haul. He is, by far, the biggest winner.

When the end of the night comes, typically the players toss in a few chips to help defray the cost of hosting. So the big winner tosses in a quarter, making something of a production of it. One of the other players chirps in, saying that dinner likely cost $100 can't you contribute more than a quarter?

The big winner says, " I didn't much care for dinner tonight."

The other player responds, " The dinner still cost $100. And if you didn't like the meal, why did you go back for seconds?"

The big winner replies, " I didn't like it the second time either!"

I guess I should have been grateful to have gotten the quarter.

( it wasn't a big deal, but I got a hoot out of interaction over getting a second serving ) -=- DrStrange
When you said quarter, I thought that $25 was fair after such a good run. Now I'm realizing you probably meant $0.25. :rolleyes:

I would not be inviting him or her back. I enjoy a nice game and if they do not like the food that is cool but do not insult by throwing in a quarter. Also do not go back for seconds. Low class and not the type of person I would have at my game! Then again if he is always losing his chips to me I might invite hime back.

David O

What an asshat!!! Someone invites him into their home and makes them dinner then has the nerve to say it is crappy. And he obviously wanted someone to say something to him by making a big deal of tossing in the quarter chip.

Unless he is a good friend that you razz each other this way on a regular basis he would be moved to the bottom of the invite list for future games.

Can we confirm whether this guy actually threw in 25 cents or $25, because throwing in an actual quarter here might be the most classless thing I've heard from a home game yet. Not the worst, but most classless.

He's angle shooting life. But i'm not sure he knows everyone can see him doing it.

Perhaps he'll write a book "the art of the steal"

Wow, just wow...

I've had someone cash up $800 (in a $.25/.50 game), then ask to be cashed out to the quarter, after consuming all sorts of expensive beer and snacks, and I thought that was the douchiest thing I've heard about at a home game... until now. I think your story takes the cake!

Definitely would not be getting an invite back.

Does he also make you call him "Senator", or is it just Ted?
5aY097.gif

Just to be clear, it is a single $0.25 chip nothing more.

The house rule is I don't cash out amounts less than a dollar. No coins are accepted as payment for chips and no coins are going out as payments at cash out. The quarter was not a calculated insult, it was required to be turned in.

This player almost never tips. To be fair, he rarely breaks even and often goes home busted so there are plenty of nights when he doesn't have cash to pitch in. I look on the player as a pity case. Parts of his life haven't worked out so well, financially he is fine but he never recovered from his physical & mental wounds from Viet Nam. He is, without doubt the worst winner I have ever encountered but oddly enough he is quite gracious when losing.

It is true that you better be more careful what you say to Ms. Strange. I'll generally cut folks a lot of slack. She is difficult to provoke but relentless once you get on the shit list.

I mostly wanted to laugh at the guy knocking the meal while figuratively munching on his second helping.

For what it is worth, there are only three players with a life ban. One kicked the dog. One got so drunk / stoned we called the sheriff to my house where upon we started a ninety minute struggle to get the keys from him while the sheriff waited to see if he started the car. The last one turned out to have a history of assault & battery and creeped out every woman at the game. Other than that, I have a lot of tolerance for stupid mistakes.

DrStrange

Just to be clear, it is a single $0.25 chip nothing more.

The house rule is I don't cash out amounts less than a dollar. No coins are accepted as payment for chips and no coins are going out as payments at cash out. The quarter was not a calculated insult, it was required to be turned in.

This player almost never tips. To be fair, he rarely breaks even and often goes home busted so there are plenty of nights when he doesn't have cash to pitch in. I look on the player as a pity case. Parts of his life haven't worked out so well, financially he is fine but he never recovered from his physical & mental wounds from Viet Nam. He is, without doubt the worst winner I have ever encountered but oddly enough he is quite gracious when losing.

It is true that you better be more careful what you say to Ms. Strange. I'll generally cut folks a lot of slack. She is difficult to provoke but relentless once you get on the shit list.

I mostly wanted to laugh at the guy knocking the meal while figuratively munching on his second helping.

For what it is worth, there are only three players with a life ban. One kicked the dog. One got so drunk / stoned we called the sheriff to my house where upon we started a ninety minute struggle to get the keys from him while the sheriff waited to see if he started the car. The last one turned out to have a history of assault & battery and creeped out every woman at the game. Other than that, I have a lot of tolerance for stupid mistakes.

DrStrange
I think I know who it is and yes you want him to keep coming!!!

ps I would never say anything either!

For what it's worth, that dinner sounded pretty tasty from where I'm sitting. And you can tell the missus I look forward to checking out her cookies one day.

I have tasted her cookies and they are great :) Actual cookies BTW (y) :thumbsup:

I can't quite relate to the situation - at the home games I play in, everybody brings their own drinks, and bring snacks for the table. Sometimes people will kick in cash for a pizza, but its never a situation where the host is putting out a spread. I say this because the tipping situation feels awkward to me. I get the sense that the host doesn't expect tips, but appreciates the tips. But maybe this creates a situation where the other players expect to see tipping, especially from winners, and here they're policing that expectation, nagging this guy to tip.
This guy usually loses, and doesn't like to tip when he wins. The other guys are nagging him to tip for the food, so his defensive response is to say he didn't like the food.
He sounds like a cheap bastard to me but it doesn't sound like he was intentionally insulting the host or the cook.

This is one of the main reasons why we just have guys bring their own drinks and snacks. We have a pretty good group of about 12 that usually end up having 0 or 10 at the games but its almost always at my house. And that's totally fine since I am the only one with a real table. But since I have to go to the work to always set it up I am not also willing to do food or drinks because invariably the host ends up on the short end of the stick.

In this case I don't think I would invite the douche back i KNOW i wouldn't!!!!

When I saw the subject, I thought you were writing about White Castle. I didn't like them the second (and last) time, either.

Apologies to WC aficionados.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom