I Can Create Photo Mosaics with Poker Chips!

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I posted a thread about an artist I saw online that had made a photo mosaic of Frank Sinatra, Elvis and others using poker chips.
Can be seen here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/search/535168/?q=mosaic&o=relevance

I figured that it was software that created these, and after quite a bit of sleuthing and testing, I have found a way to do it myself. I wasn’t crazy about the chip choices that the artist had used, so I scanned and photographed a bunch of chips that I own or have owned. For testing purposes only, I also grabbed some images off ebay.

Here is a sample using a Joker photo:
joker_mosaic2_lowres.jpg

and the detail of the eyes:
joker_mosaic2_detail.jpg

Here is another sample:
pcf2_mosaic_lowres.jpg

and the detail:
pcf2_mosaic_detail1.jpg

And lastly, a chip mosaic of a chip!
binions_mosaic1_lowres1.jpg

and the detail:
binions_mosaic1_detail.jpg

I want to be able to offer the ability to make chip mosaics from any photo, and do this for any member here at no cost, but there’s a few things I need to nail down. Firstly, I would need chip images, probably 100-200 more, of all different colors (the wider the range, the more accurate the photo mosaic). I would also need the images to be submitted by members, and they would need to be THEIR photos, and they would need to agree that they could be used for this purpose. I need to change out the sample images I got off ebay to keep it legit. Like I said, I’m not charging for this if anyone wants a mosaic made, but I cannot guarantee what someone will do with the final product (made up of member’s photos). If any part of this is against forum rules in any way, please let me know.
I also need to figure out a means for members to share their chip images with me. I think simply posting images in this thread would be quite cumbersome. Any ideas are appreciated.

Not sure how long this is going to take me to acquire all the chip photos needed, and I’m unsure of the interest that any of you have in this.

Btw, these final images are MASSIVE in file size. The original output of the samples above are 30"x30" with each chip about 11mm in size in the mosaic. That makes for a very large poster. Unfortunately, the larger I make the chip ( or the smaller I make the poster, the less detail shows from the original photo.

edit: If anyone has chip photos that they would like to share, pm me and I'll give you my email to send an album through Google photos.
Chip photos should be straight on, so the chip is as round as possible, and background is preferably white but I can remove if necessary. 1,000 pixels in each direction will work, but higher resolution is better. If they’re cropped tight on all sides, it makes my job even easier.

Last edited:

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tl;dr, but totally IN. Great stuff; lemme know what you need.

BearMetal

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May I ask how many images of chips you needed? And were they all individual?

Edit: you could have asked every member to scan their favorite chips and upload them too. Might have saved you some time ;)

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
May I ask how many images of chips you needed? And were they all individual?

Edit: you could have asked every member to scan their favorite chips and upload them too. Might have saved you some time ;)
Yes, each chip is individual. I think I could probably get some good final mosaics using 50 or so more images, just so my DDLMs don’t show up quite as often in the mosaic. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
If anyone wants to give me permission to use ones from posts they’ve made (as long as they were YOUR photos) that would work fine

BearMetal

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, each chip is individual. I think I could probably get some good final mosaics using 50 or so more images, just so my DDLMs don’t show up quite as often in the mosaic. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
If anyone wants to give me permission to use ones from posts they’ve made (as long as they were YOUR photos) that would work fine
Fine with me, but I don't think any of my posts have chips with the right orientation.

If people were to donate images, what requirements do you have? Size, dpi, padding around the chip?

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
If people were to donate images, what requirements do you have? Size, dpi, padding around the chip?
The best images are straight on, so the chip is as round as possible, and background is preferably white but I can remove if necessary. 1,000 pixels in each direction will work, but the higher the resolution the better. If they’re cropped tight on all sides, it makes my job even easier. This is a good example:
26A0DF0F-95E8-42BE-9EE7-C97F804968AE.jpeg

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
Thanks @Sprouty , looks like Google photos is a good way to share.
If anyone has chip photos that they would like to share, pm me and I'll give you my email to send an album through Google photos.
Or if you have an alternative means to send, that works too!

Sprouty

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I totally forgot to submit pics to help this along!

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score

Sprouty

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ihzpN9uJrQauLpzm6

The photos that I have taken and shared in the above gallery are free to use for anyone's mosaic.

Others with google photos should be able to add to the gallery as well. If you add to this gallery please be aware that you are agreeing that what you have added/shared, is your content, and is available for the use of mosaics. If you do not want your content used for others mosaics, please do not add them to this shared gallery.

DZPoker

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting and very cool! I have an idea for an attempt at this I’d love to throw past you. PM me if and when you’re ready to take on projects!

Top Bottom