Hypothetical question, who owns design and artwork? (1 Viewer)

It's been awhile but i remember using 99designs website for a logo and could've sworn the rights were mine after paying the artist

Yep. But that may just be there policy. Also anyone seeing the design could possibly take it and use it for their own.

J5 and I had this conversation about CdN as I was curious about it as well. Technically speaking (not a lawyer here) I do believe he has the rights to it. I do not agree completely with this and think the rights should be shared (i.e. law should be changed). For example, the concept of CdN was mine and he made it happen. There is intellectual property on both sides I think. J5 has been very gracious and professional about the rights and he does not share contracted designs without the contracting user's approval. He also allows complete rights to be purchased for a reasonable amount. Furthermore, to make matters more complicated, sometimes artist and client are different countries making for legal shenanigans.
It's been a long time but this reflects my exchange with J5 as well. I'm perfectly fine with it since as an owner I'm getting everything I need from my idea, and John is somewhat protected from me or other owners taking his work (.ai files) and rights somewhere else to get other products made. We both have a stake in protecting the use going forward.

In purchasing the Suicide Queen set, I also received the rights to have more chips made. I contacted J5 and he stated that I was free to reorder chips from CPC, and that he would send the necessary files to CPC. That works for me.

He did ask that if I intended to use it for other purposes I should let him know first. My only future plans might be a dealer button or a custom cloth for a poker table that I would likely have him design anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom