Hunting Thread - Any hunters in here? (1 Viewer)

I enjoy hunting. Mainly whitetail and hopefully this year Elk out west. Just got a new rifle for going out west. A savage 110 in 300 win mag.

Anyone ever gone hog hunting? I've been thinking it might be kind of interesting to do that plus I love pork!

I hunted a ton several years ago. I have some great trophies but changing jobs put a halt to hunting. One good thing is my daughter is getting married this year to a young man who is the manager of a game ranch. I know he said we will be doing some spring turkey which I enjoy more than almost any type of hunting.
My future son in law is my daughters Rip. lol take a look at what he harvestedoff the ranch last month. 177”
1641696248245.jpeg

Well as with most Bucks, @FordPickup92 deer was destined for the grinder
20220112_182343.jpg

Minus the Fish, back straps and a few steaks cut into Kabob meat. The rest was ground! Remember always to double grind!
20220112_184007.jpg

Takes a long time getting all the fat and silver skin out but nothing better than a bin of 99% lean wild "organic" ground!
20220112_184651.jpg

About 26 pounds worth... bringing some to SQM even though @MatB says no deer meat! Lol on to vacuum sealing the beast!

Well as with most Bucks, @FordPickup92 deer was destined for the grinder
View attachment 845513
Minus the Fish, back straps and a few steaks cut into Kabob meat. The rest was ground! Remember always to double grind!
View attachment 845515
Takes a long time getting all the fat and silver skin out but nothing better than a bin of 99% lean wild "organic" ground!
View attachment 845516
About 26 pounds worth... bringing some to SQM even though @MatB says no deer meat! Lol on to vacuum sealing the beast!

Da fuq you do to Bambi?

Damn.
As the saying goes. I’d be very hungry if I had to catch and kill my own food.

I do respect the catch and harvest aspect of hunting though.

Anyone excited for hunting this year? Deer and rabbit just around the corner - can't wait. FInally hunting again after a long break and hope to be successful this year.

Sighting in my 6.5 and my 308 on Thursday - not sure I’ll head out for elk this year, but the 308 will be ready regardless. Definitely will be out for Axis and whitetail so the 6.5 will put in some work. Need to make some room in the freezer- can’t wait!

A Hunting Tale!

So many years ago I was obsessed hunting Pibalds which are supposedly imbread deer that the genetics get all messed up and produces "more white" in their natural colors.

This was my first
Screenshot_20221019-201250_Gallery.jpg

He cost me $4,200 to get fully mounted and I didn't care... so beautiful! (Circa 2004 my first year bow hunting) shot him at 48yds in the dark... couldn't even see my pins on my sight, but he was glowing in the last light of day, I looked down the arrow shaft and let it fly... maybe 10%of that ever working a few seconds laterI heard him fall!

A couple years later I am hunting Blackwater National Refuge for Skia deer like this
1019171401a.jpg

It is rare but every once in a while a whitetail gets lost and wonders out in the swamp... the Skia are very territorial and much tougher than whitetails even though they are half their size... so generally the WTs stay away from them...anyways... I'm hunting in my favorite tree in about 2 ft of water and frag one day... sitting all afternoon waiting for the evening hunt, the fragmitie behind me starts shaking and a whitetail buck walks out... I couldn't believe it! Unfortunately his horns were too small and wasn't work punching a tag for, but as he walked away I noticed a White spot between his horns... he looked back and I couldn't believe it! A Pibald Whitetail in the middle of nowhere miles away from where he should be living... I couldn't tell how much White he had, but a story no one would believe (this was before cameras in cell phones really)Anyways I decided he was worth of a tag! I never kill a buck unless they are defined for the walls...

I dropped him in his tracks @ 50 yds with a 50 cal Thompson Center Bone Collector Muzzle Loader. When I walked up it took my breath away... no where near as much white as the one above but very unique deer. They took lots of pictures at the DNR check in station, I took the whole deer to the taxidermist and planned to get another full body, but later decided a total "custom mold" showing off his amazing colors would save money and really be something special!

Well that was about 2010 or so... we really haven't spoke of the deer since... today he sends me these pics totally out of the Blue
Screenshot_20221019-194350_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20221019-194356_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20221019-201046_Messages.jpg

Pibalds and their genetic deformities are known for what aunique feature a "Roman nose" a weird hump infront of the eyes. My taxidermist not only nailed this unique "looking Backwards" mold and even a "custom" Roman Nose! An absolute work of art!
Screenshot_20221019-201057_Messages.jpg

Can not wait for this amazing animal to join the "deer museum!" For so many years now he was just another hunting story.

Haply Hunting Folks!!

I have a question about the taxidermy part. Are you still able to get the meat off it? I assume so otherwise it would rot I guess, but if that's the case is it made out of Paper mache lol

I have a question about the taxidermy part. Are you still able to get the meat off it? I assume so otherwise it would rot I guess, but if that's the case is it made out of Paper mache lol
All the meats separated from the hide via skinning, the hide is much like a cow (beef/leather) in that it can be chemically preserved and then stretched around a mannequin if you will, or moulding to give the hide permanent shape

Edit: the meats and hide are separated at the time the deer is killed to ensure the meat is fresh for eating purposes
You'll see some people on big game hunting shows allow a deer to lay overnight after shooting, in most cases the meat would be no good after a certain time frame in this instance. There's a little more leeway if the temps are below freezing

The only thing the Taxidermist gets is the Hyde and skull plate (with horns attached) what you see as a finished product is a giant formed foam block that gets shaved down to the exact measurements of the particular deer based off of the measurements from the Hyde. The eye balls are glass, the ears have a plastic fake liner to make them stand out.

The Hyde is fleshed removing all meat and fat deposits and then sent to a tanning company which is the same process as turning cowhide into leather, you can choose to leave the hair on or make it hairless aka "deer leather" there are those that forgo tanning and use Hyde Paste... but in a few years hair will start to fall out, when they are tanned it is for forever.

The meat is 100% consumed as it should be from any life you take... that was how I was raised.

I assumed it was consumed, I just had no idea how they made them up like that. Foam makes sense.

It always seemed a very ethical way to source your meet to me.
The most healthy and natural way! Absolutely no growth hormones, antibiotics and other crap they force into meat we buy in society! Deer meat is extremely lean and very good for you! We butcher everything ourselves, when you take it somewhere how would you ever know that you are actually getting your own meat back

We still buy "cow/burger" meat as deer meat is so lean it actually falls apart so people use pork fat to keep it together... it's just gross, so we still buy a small amount but the majority is harvested in our Back Yard and we live off of it year round.

Lots of pibold deer in Patapsco near where I lived in Oella for many years. One buck was mostly white which was super cool. Except when he was chilling in the road which seeMed to be way too often for my liking.

Went rabbit hunting last weekend in Berlin,NH - middle of no where, had an amazing time. My father, brother in-law, nephews and my son were lead by my fathers friend with 2 amazing beagles Dozer and Hook.

Unfortunately I missed both my chances- hadn’t set myself when one ran across the logging road in a flash
back into the brush and the other because I think my colorblindness screwed me. My son got 2 and I got a partridge ( tasted great). Stayed in a great inn and ate prime rib like kings.

Excellent memories.
AD75ABC6-257E-43F7-9609-46B699C7945C.jpeg
8399E79C-2A74-439B-B878-83A4E0B19809.jpeg
A7EB72A8-D2E6-497E-A552-7B745168DA0B.jpeg
2B6CA5A7-F377-468E-9753-66AE19F59B62.jpeg
82DD863E-40D0-4FFF-B6EF-B54FE6D30FC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Last Saturday of rabbit season. Grabbed my limit. The dogs rocked it. Can't wait for next season

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom