HSI Secondary Snapper Cleaning Tips (1 Viewer)

Alright, gathered the pics I did towards the finish line and sharing what I’ve learned.

1) First and foremost, whatever this yellow shit is, it’s a nightmare. I almost feel like something containing a yellow dye was directly above where these chips were stored and it leaked all over them. It’s some of the most stubborn stuff I’ve ever seen.

2) Once the ultrasonic process is done and they’re racked, you may want to consider leaving them as is without piling and here’s why. Given that the ultrasonic didn’t remove 100% of the film from the chips, edge oiling them or even fully oiling the chips will result in smear. It’s still there and it’s being agitated by the mineral oil enough to come off on the towel you’re using then rubbed into another part of the chip. It’s seriously a stubborn bitch to say the least. One advantage is that the chip regains its luster, giving it more depth in its color. I can honestly say that the best way to get every chip to a near perfect pink is one by one. Talk about a lengthy f’ing process. That’s not including yellow all over your hands and a ton of micro fiber towels in the trash. Not exactly fun times.

3) If I had more of these chips to use as guinea pigs, I’d be tempted to use something stronger and more aggressive than TSP. Not exactly sure what but something that ultimately does the job of stripping away a layer of paint or even a tiny layer of what you’re working with, in this case the chips. Call me crazy, but if I had any extras I may have even experimented with some GoofOff or Goo-Gone. If that doesn’t take off the yellow stuff, then forget it.

4) Magic Eraser near disaster. I tried taking the Magic Eraser to the edge of one barrel as a test to see if I can get them really really clean on the edges. Bad idea. The magic eraser also grabs whatever yellow film is there on any of the chips and smears it right across the entire barrel edge. Had to re-clean those to get it off. Stay away from Magic Eraser unless planning on doing one chip at a time and plenty of rinsing in between.

Here’s some pics,

Pre-ultrasonic

2E52C395-4EF6-4773-83EF-A594C0D22D86.jpeg

During (TSP + Dawn)

IMG_2089.JPG

Removed from ultrasonic prior to drying

IMG_2087.JPG

Racked prior to any oiling

IMG_2090.jpg

Oiling one chip at a time. Still plenty of yellow film coming off

IMG_2093.JPG

Notice the very thin yellow line of film on the edge ever after 8 minutes of being in the ultrasonic
IMG_2094.JPG

You can easily spot the oiled chip among the others

IMG_2095.JPG

Oiled barrel vs non

IMG_2096.JPG

Oiled rack vs non

IMG_2097.JPG

Both racks oiled right after rinsing under hot water while scrubbing with a dish washing sponge and Bar Keeper's Friend, trying to avoid smearing the film. Excess oil wiped off gently.

IMG_2098.JPG

Bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cleaning and I can honestly say that I would have liked a better result but I can't complain considering how they looked before.

If I have any updates or try something else down the road that provides better results, I'll let you guys know.

Alright, gathered the pics I did towards the finish line and sharing what I’ve learned.

1) First and foremost, whatever this yellow shit is, it’s a nightmare. I almost feel like something containing a yellow dye was directly above where these chips were stored and it leaked all over them. It’s some of the most stubborn stuff I’ve ever seen.

2) Once the ultrasonic process is done and they’re racked, you may want to consider leaving them as is without piling and here’s why. Given that the ultrasonic didn’t remove 100% of the film from the chips, edge oiling them or even fully oiling the chips will result in smear. It’s still there and it’s being agitated by the mineral oil enough to come off on the towel you’re using then rubbed into another part of the chip. It’s seriously a stubborn bitch to say the least. One advantage is that the chip regains its luster, giving it more depth in its color. I can honestly say that the best way to get every chip to a near perfect pink is one by one. Talk about a lengthy f’ing process. That’s not including yellow all over your hands and a ton of micro fiber towels in the trash. Not exactly fun times.

3) If I had more of these chips to use as guinea pigs, I’d be tempted to use something stronger and more aggressive than TSP. Not exactly sure what but something that ultimately does the job of stripping away a layer of paint or even a tiny layer of what you’re working with, in this case the chips. Call me crazy, but if I had any extras I may have even experimented with some GoofOff or Goo-Gone. If that doesn’t take off the yellow stuff, then forget it.

4) Magic Eraser near disaster. I tried taking the Magic Eraser to the edge of one barrel as a test to see if I can get them really really clean on the edges. Bad idea. The magic eraser also grabs whatever yellow film is there on any of the chips and smears it right across the entire barrel edge. Had to re-clean those to get it off. Stay away from Magic Eraser unless planning on doing one chip at a time and plenty of rinsing in between.

Here’s some pics,

Pre-ultrasonic

View attachment 641668

During (TSP + Dawn)

View attachment 641672

Removed from ultrasonic prior to drying

View attachment 641674

Racked prior to any oiling

View attachment 641675

Oiling one chip at a time. Still plenty of yellow film coming off

View attachment 641678

Notice the very thin yellow line of film on the edge ever after 8 minutes of being in the ultrasonic
View attachment 641681

You can easily spot the oiled chip among the others

View attachment 641682

Oiled barrel vs non

View attachment 641683

Oiled rack vs non

View attachment 641684

Both racks oiled right after rinsing under hot water while scrubbing with a dish washing sponge and Bar Keeper's Friend, trying to avoid smearing the film. Excess oil wiped off gently.

View attachment 641685

Bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cleaning and I can honestly say that I would have liked a better result but I can't complain considering how they looked before.

If I have any updates or try something else down the road that provides better results, I'll let you guys know.
thanks for sharing. are you happy with the amount of yellowing removed from the chip faces? Is it fair to say the remaining problem is the yellowing that persists on the rolling edge?

Have you tried using a magic eraser on a chip while submerged under water? I wonder of that would prevent the smear you speak of.

So whats next? murder and relabel or over label?

thanks for sharing. are you happy with the amount of yellowing removed from the chip faces? Is it fair to say the remaining problem is the yellowing that persists on the rolling edge?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say the removal of yellow from the faces stands at about 8. In some cases its even a 9.5 but the results aren't uniform across every single chip. I've had to keep some on the side, add them to the next barrel, and they still had some yellow after coming out.

Have you tried using a magic eraser on a chip while submerged under water? I wonder of that would prevent the smear you speak of.

I did. Put hot water in a large plastic bowl and scrub like mad, remove from the water and keep scrubbing while tap is running. Kind of works but not that great.

So whats next? murder and relabel or over label?

If my memory serves me well, the rightful owner of these is going to over label. These aren't mine. I simply made the purchase and did the cleaning as a favor for the person that'll receive them.

Not sure if any of you have made this observation, but it was brought to my attention by my neighbor, @Ocharacato. This isn’t exactly about the snapper but more so regarding the yellow film itself. It’s also present on the Secondary $25’s. He told me that he saw it when he was cleaning some of his chips. I decided to test and see for myself with a small dab of mineral oil and wouldn’t you know it,

316A3064-D6BF-4D58-9C9C-72AB870BE8F2.jpeg

I also knew he was right just by looking inside the lid of the warneke.

71AA5009-1690-47CE-8616-908B4520EB7F.jpeg
8C879FD5-F404-4B72-B0C9-A474EC1CA1C3.jpeg

Not sure if any of you have made this observation, but it was brought to my attention by my neighbor, @Ocharacato. This isn’t exactly about the snapper but more so regarding the yellow film itself. It’s also present on the Secondary $25’s. He told me that he saw it when he was cleaning some of his chips. I decided to test and see for myself with a small dab of mineral oil and wouldn’t you know it,

View attachment 642516

I also knew he was right just by looking inside the lid of the warneke.

View attachment 642519View attachment 642520
The way that stuff transfers from the snappers I wouldn't be surprised if it got on some chips that were near or in contact with the snappers.

Do you have a black light?

The way that stuff transfers from the snappers I wouldn't be surprised if it got on some chips that were near or in contact with the snappers.

Do you have a black light?

It transfers onto other surfaces pretty easily. I had to cover up my entire work area cause I don’t want that crap spreading throughout my garage and house.

No black light with me but Home Depot is just over a mile from me. Does it help show it?

It transfers onto other surfaces pretty easily. I had to cover up my entire work area cause I don’t want that crap spreading throughout my garage and house.

No black light with me but Home Depot is just over a mile from me. Does it help show it?
Yes, it shows up bigtime for the loose stuff that transfers.

20210104_131915.jpg
20210106_162752.jpg
20210126_113215.jpg

Yeah, if someone put the chips as-is into play it would be horrible for their table and other chips.

There was a pic in the mail pron thread where someone mixed up the barrels in the box that the snappers came in (alternating barrels), guaranteed the other chips have exposure now too.

Probably have to throw out all boxes that were shipped with those snappers and US all chips that were shipped with them
I dont know about US all the chips they were shipped with. I'd get a black light and check them out before I did that.

All my other chips look ok for the most part and putting mint chips through the US when not needed doesnt sound great.

I dont know about US all the chips they were shipped with. I'd get a black light and check them out before I did that.

All my other chips look ok for the most part and putting mint chips through the US when not needed doesnt sound great.
If I did find dust on other Id just do them quickly with some dish liquid for a quick rinse.

I second that recommendation to throw out the boxes. I think everybody who got any HSI’s should toss their boxes right away. Better to avoid this stuff being reapplied to your chips, getting on your hands, transferred to other chips either in the set or in other sets. That’s not fun.

Also want to add that the chips miraculously flattened with what I would say is a 95% success rate right out of the ultrasonic. Not sure if the original shape the fibers in there took helped when they were heated or whatever science is behind it, but reduces the flattening needed after by a very significant margin.

I'm short on racks and boxes at the moment.

But these are back in stock:
https://www.discountpokershop.com/1...ack-fits-paulson-style-poker-chips-p-715.html

I haven't summoned up the courage to see how much shipping 20 -50 of these to Canada would be. :eek:
I believe apache poker chips also sells Chip racks. I bought the chipco ones and they are far superior to the cheap chinese ones. They are definetely worth the extra buck imo

https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product-category/poker-chip-racks/

Almost done all the edges as a follow up to the ultrasonic on one rack. My OCD is making me pick through these but I feel close. Next step is to flatten and murder. Then on to the next rack:

View attachment 646497

I would say that's about as close as you can get to perfect with these guys. That's what the two racks on my end look like. Granted, you can probably get them to 100% if you just keep repeating the process until every bit of that stuff is gone but I based on my observations and notes, I think it would take 4-5 rounds of ultrasonic and cleaning by hand to really get them perfected. This yellow film is even more stubborn than a f'ing mule.

Thanks - this is a TON of work. I have one rack that was cleaned with cutting compound that has done one run in the US that I am sorting for edge scrubbing with Magic Eraser. Another rack working through the US (one barrel down ... ) and another rack in the box untouched. I keep asking myself if two racks is enough so I can end the misery!

Misery indeed. I almost negated any work that was done when I tried to add the finishing touches on the edges of the barrel in one shot. The Magic Eraser grabbed whatever film it could and just smeared it across the rest. I had to run it through the US again and just avoid trying to perfect it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom