HSI BJ and Paulson arrived today - first impression (1 Viewer)

Santa123

Straight
Reaction score
After a not so nice story with the german customs office finaly the HSI Chip arrived.

My first impression:

Bud Jones Roulette Chips(new, light blue):
Way better than expected. Out of the box the BJ stack, shuffle extremely well. Chips have a lot of surface friction. Not slippery at all !! Let s see how they hold up after some play.
Love the label with the golden glitter Horseshoe. Will use them mainly as dimes (or maybe as quarters if we should play higher stakes).

$1A (mint):
I have to say I was a little bit dissapointed. I have handled Paulson Chips, ASM and BCC in the past several times. First off all, I dont like mint Paulson. I do have 150 mint ones. I dont see me shuffeling all 150 peaces in near future enough to break them in. Will oiling take the mint feel away in your experience? Do you recommand washing mint chips before oiling? Do you think oiling white chips will benefit the hole chip or only the edgespots?

Also I read about the need to flatten the $1A chips, I didnt expect them to be THAT WOBBLY. Like more wobbly then the cheapest poker chips I have ever bought :-(
Why is that? Because of the long storage? Cant be leck of Paulson quality control, right?

$5(used):
I cleaned these with warm rinse water and my electrical tooth brush. Cleaned the chips fast and very time efficient. They shuffle very nice. But they lost all the surface friction. Is this normal with used Paulson? Not oiled them yet.

Cleaned 5$:
sadsad.jpg

sadasd.jpg

Dirty 5$
aaa.jpg
cdcd.jpg

BJ und mint Paulson stacked next to each other 50 chips high:
gfds.jpg

Those HSI 1a’s look like they are stacked like bricks from the pics you posted. I’ve heard of some of the HSI’s being slightly warped here and there but I don’t think it’s a major issue. You sure you’re not thinking of the snappers that had a warping issue?

Congratulations!

Firstly, I'm glad you posted your opinion about the Bud Jones roulettes. Their reputation for being exceedingly slippery are absolutely overblown. And if you like these R4s, wait until you handle some S2, V7, and V8 in good condition!

If you're going to take the time to oil, I recommend washing first. You won't really see changes on the bright white base from oiling, but edge spots will pop a little better.

As far as warping, it might have to do with storage and transport. There was probably a lot of weight pressure on the chips near the bottom of those industrial drums, and that could have contributed. Luckily there are simple ways to flatten.

The snapper are absolutely warped; very much so. Not as bad as some chips I've seen, but they get like a D+ on a warping scale of flattness. The above 1a's are a little warped as the 1a's normally are:

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 3.03.10 PM.png

Firstly, I'm glad you posted your opinion about the Bud Jones roulettes. Their reputation for being exceedingly slippery are absolutely overblown. And if you like these R4s, wait until you handle some S2, V7, and V8 in good condition!
I, too, was majorly impressed with the BJ's R4s. I found that the JACK chips were easier to remove the label, but the HSIs were still pretty easy; they just left a little residue. They shuffle quite nicely and I'm excited to get some labels done for them...

If you can flatten them at all (using some of the techniques in other threads) it will make them FAR less wobbly.
As far as used 5s, they are the most worn of the bunch, and quite slippery, especially compared to new chips. I found oiling them made it worse. It’s just the way these used RHC chips are...a plasticy feeling. I still like them, but very different from new.

The wobbly $1 review is bumming me out. I just ordered some to start building my first Paulson set. Hope I have better luck...

After seeing the Bud Jones I am regretting my decision to pass on getting any.

The wobbly $1 review is bumming me out. I just ordered some to start building my first Paulson set. Hope I have better luck...
20210325_191050.jpg

I am baking now all my $5 and $1 Chips. 10 Minutes 50 degreed celsius. Chips should be fine.

Those HSI 1a’s look like they are stacked like bricks from the pics you posted. I’ve heard of some of the HSI’s being slightly warped here and there but I don’t think it’s a major issue. You sure you’re not thinking of the snappers that had a warping issue?

As far as I am concerned it is a MAJOR issue with the 1a's. I have 2000 of them. It is so bad that I was willing to go with the Primary but when those arrived, while better, there were still too many warped chips for me to be OK swapping them. I love the look of the 1a's and am in the process of getting everything to flatten them. I mean you can't be mad at $.60 a chip but these are "Mint/Damaged" as far as I am concerned. I was expecting just mint chips.

For what it's worth the OP's chips don't look too bad. Below is what I got. This pic is taken with the chips between a 2x4 on bottom and a heavy hardwood plank on top with about 150lbs on top of that.
8A831FC6-77E9-4F94-9BE1-5CAB1AA7798C.jpeg

All of them below. Like I said, disappointed because I was expecting mint, but overall pretty happy considering the price. This is likely my last set purchase.
459B48C9-1CEB-4612-9F59-3070008C10A5.jpeg

It’s very easy to flatten them if they’re warped a little. Plenty of threads here on how to do that.

It’s very easy to flatten them if they’re warped a little. Plenty of threads here on how to do that.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll hunt down the threads, I’m sure that will come in handy...

Presume the BJ roulettes are to be used as fracs? I was wondering how they mix with the Paulson chips in play?

Presume the BJ roulettes are to be used as fracs? I was wondering how they mix with the Paulson chips in play?
Keep seeing posts where people say don't mix chips but this mix with roulettes seems common and was just wondering about it seeing your mix which looks very good together

I think just the fact that the Paulsons and the bud jones stack to the same height is evidence of warping. Please correct me if I’m wrong, because I have very little bud jones experience, but my understanding is they should stack higher than Paulsons.

This is weird. I bought 1000 of the 1A chips, and I haven't noticed any issues with warping. Maybe my chips came from the top of the barrel.

I think just the fact that the Paulsons and the bud jones stack to the same height is evidence of warping. Please correct me if I’m wrong, because I have very little bud jones experience, but my understanding is they should stack higher than Paulsons.
Likely.

I will post a Pic in the next hour.

Um, kinda?
One of the reasons we love Paulsons (and other top quality poker chips) is that they’re made to such exacting standards and high tolerances.
Is it easy to stick them in a clamp and throw them is the oven? Sure?
Will that make them as good as factory mint Paulsons? I dunno.

Last edited:
This is weird. I bought 1000 of the 1A chips, and I haven't noticed any issues with warping. Maybe my chips came from the top of the barrel.
I bought at a few different times because I kept having the urge to add on. Some racks aren't bad at all and some are noticeable but not terrible. At least that is my experience

I bought at a few different times because I kept having the urge to add on. Some racks aren't bad at all and some are noticeable but not terrible. At least that is my experience
I bought mine in the original sale, so maybe the earlier ones were in better condition?

Keep seeing posts where people say don't mix chips but this mix with roulettes seems common and was just wondering about it seeing your mix which looks very good together

I think in general people are right that mixing chips of different material, different producers or different conditions will always lead to a not optimal set of chips.

I bought mine in the original sale, so maybe the earlier ones were in better condition?
Certainly possible. The first ones I bought were black Friday so a little while after they were initially offered. No idea how deep into the inventory that would have been. My guess is it's more random though.

That is correct @upNdown !

From left to right
Warped, Un-warped, BJ

20210325_230029.jpg

I can press the warped stack down to the level the un warped chips have. I can almost not press down the un warped chips at all.

20210325_230010.jpg

20210325_230004.jpg

I think Bud Jones chips are designed to be equivalent height to Paulson chips. My mint racks of either fit snugly into a standard 24010 rack. At the very least, this applies to the R4 and S2 chips. Maybe BJ CIC stack a bit higher?

Depends what you mean by "roulettes".

If by "roulette" you mean Paulson roulettes, which are compressed clay chips on the Roulette mold, then they work just fine with other Paulsons like RHC, THC, and House molds. Same material = same height, same weight, same feel, and similar (though probably not exact) play characteristics.

If by "roulette" you mean Bud Jones R4 roulettes, which are PIMP, then they will have the same height, but different weight, different feel, and different play characteristics (sound, stacking, etc.). Doesn't take away from it being a really nice chip, but it does look and feel quite different.

Some people won't be bothered by mixing them together, and some will. It's all personal preference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom