Howdy! New to forum (1 Viewer)

I am 100% vested in Apache cases, I help people with set ups all the time.
View attachment 907636
In a 2800 you can fit up to 660 chips including tubes. In a 3800 you cannot fit 1,000 chips but it is maxed out and no room for anything else,much better for 800 chips. The 4800 series case can fit up to 2,100 chips (triple stacked) double stacked up to 1,400 chips but you have to add foam to make the height correct. There are other configurations, some use Matsui racks standing on side.

Happy to help and share pictures if you figure out how many chips you are looking for.

As other have said, get samples... Don't spend your money on lower end chips if there is any chance that one day you would see yourself wanting "real clay" skip the lower steps... they don't hold their value and when you decide to buy the fiber things in life... these will just become dust collectors
@Ben8257 Would love to see how your 4800 double stack is set up. I have a set that will be finalized at 1240 chips and was trying to figure out how to keep them all together. Sounds like this may be the way to go.

@Ben8257 Would love to see how your 4800 double stack is set up. I have a set that will be finalized at 1240 chips and was trying to figure out how to keep them all together. Sounds like this may be the way to go.
So again for "1000 - 1400 chips" you should use the 4800 Apache case, they are amazing with a ton of room for extras. The bad news is that the depth of the case is not perfect. If you pluck out the two layers with no additional support it will leave your top rack of chips sitting below flush. The Home Depot and other hardware stores sell sheets of foam typically in the HVAC section. Here is what I do.

1) take out the two sheets of pluck foam, find "close cell" foam board between 3/4" to 1" thick and cut it to the dimensions of your case (I use a sheet of fiber glass over top but you can just use the foam)
20220124_110353.jpg

2) next take one of the two sheets of pluck foam using a fillet knife or other long sharp blade you cut one of those sheets perfectly in half, now you can pluck out your desired configuration.
20220124_110452.jpg

I put the cut sheet face down below the full sheet, this corrects the height issue and allows the top rack to press into the lid foam correctly and holds all of your chips in place
20220124_111303.jpg

If your chips are not sitting above the lip of the bottom half then they will not press into the Lid foam and they will not be held in place... when you open the case you are going to have a mess., 1/2" to 3/4" above is perfect.

Now that configuration is only 5 rows of double stacks or 1000 chips. To get to 12 - 1400 you also have to pluck out the lower section.
20211001_122719.jpg

That first case has 1000 chips, technically I prefer having the chips start in the top left of the case but that foam was from a previous set up so I went with what I had. The third case is holding 1,800 (triple stacked not double) but that would be the orientation for 1,200 chips, the second case has 2,100 chips (triple stacked) but that would be the orientation for 1,400 double stacked with the foam beneath. 4th case has 1,400 chips with the foam.

You can really do whatever layout you want, this is just what works for us.

Hope that helps.
Ben

So again for "1000 - 1400 chips" you should use the 4800 Apache case, they are amazing with a ton of room for extras. The bad news is that the depth of the case is not perfect. If you pluck out the two layers with no additional support it will leave your top rack of chips sitting below flush. The Home Depot and other hardware stores sell sheets of foam typically in the HVAC section. Here is what I do.

1) take out the two sheets of pluck foam, find "close cell" foam board between 3/4" to 1" thick and cut it to the dimensions of your case (I use a sheet of fiber glass over top but you can just use the foam)
View attachment 908239

2) next take one of the two sheets of pluck foam using a fillet knife or other long sharp blade you cut one of those sheets perfectly in half, now you can pluck out your desired configuration.
View attachment 908240
I put the cut sheet face down below the full sheet, this corrects the height issue and allows the top rack to press into the lid foam correctly and holds all of your chips in place
View attachment 908241
If your chips are not sitting above the lip of the bottom half then they will not press into the Lid foam and they will not be held in place... when you open the case you are going to have a mess., 1/2" to 3/4" above is perfect.

Now that configuration is only 5 rows of double stacks or 1000 chips. To get to 12 - 1400 you also have to pluck out the lower section.
View attachment 908242
That first case has 1000 chips, technically I prefer having the chips start in the top left of the case but that foam was from a previous set up so I went with what I had. The third case is holding 1,800 (triple stacked not double) but that would be the orientation for 1,200 chips, the second case has 2,100 chips (triple stacked) but that would be the orientation for 1,400 double stacked with the foam beneath. 4th case has 1,400 chips with the foam.

Hope that helps.
Ben
Thanks for the great tutorial @Ben8257 !

My 2 cents says to just buy the chips yourself. Of course I don’t know the dynamics of your group, but I do know that it’s easier to do it yourself than to try to get 8-10 guys to agree to something. Especially when you have a guy who wants 14 gram chips.
I went through a similar thing when I first started here. I ended up just buying some nice clays, bring them to the game and saying “can we use these?” Most people were eager to use better chips, though it might have been simply because mine actually had numbers on them. It would help if the chips you buy have the same color/denomination scheme as whatever the group is currently using. But then again, I wouldn’t go buying $2s and $10s just because that’s what people are used to.
Anyway, life is short. You’ve probably wasted $300-$500 on much dumber things, right? And if that’s your price range, I’d definitely either get in on a cards mold group buy, or just buy somebody’s cards mold chips - they’re definitely the best bang for the buck available right now.

View attachment 908239

View attachment 908240
View attachment 908241

View attachment 908242

Hope that helps.
Ben
Thanks again for the step by steps @Ben8257 . It worked like a charm. Hardest part was cutting that one sheet evenly in half but my brisket slicing knife got the job done!
11CC939B-AAB4-42C3-85D3-9EBD55A4570D.jpeg

@Tonysquander nice job! Did you go with the 4800? And how many total chips were you able to securely get in?
Yes, they work well. I have 1400 chips in this 2 rack deep configuration, but you could easily go three racks deep on one or more of the stacks for a total of 2100 chips (would be quite heavy though). Cases are very secure.

223F6FB2-A81C-4F8D-874D-C5D4E217406F.jpeg

@Tonysquander that looks sweet! Thanks for the feedback. Looking to pick up one today.

Debating on the 3800 vs 4800….

Do you think the 4800 is to bulky to travel around with?

@Tonysquander that looks sweet! Thanks for the feedback. Looking to pick up one today.

Debating on the 3800 vs 4800….

Do you think the 4800 is to bulky to travel around with?
It depends on what you are doing and how many chips you are toting. 1400 chips is pretty heavy, especially if leaded, so you don’t want to be carrying it for long walks or anything. If you just want to put in your car to go to a meet up, they are great and you have racks with you. If you are looking for a case for 1000 or less chips that you can easily fly with, or bring to games, I would get a Jacks Poker Viper case.

@Ben8257

Can you provide some pics of your 2800 and 3800 setups? Leaning to you to see if you can show how these play out when maximizing the spacing.

Not sure if the 2800 will allow for 600 chips plus extra space for cards…btns….etc.

Looking for a small case that doesn't cost hundreds.

Thanks

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom