Howdy from Texas! (1 Viewer)

marshboi

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I’m excited to be joining! I just began playing poker recently with some old friends and am hoping to purchase a chip set soon. I am interested in a set both for the joy of collecting and the joy of playing the great game of poker. I would love a nice set that I’m proud of and that I can share with my friends.

I LOVE the Nile Club ceramics :D. Even though I would much prefer a clay set, I just can’t get over the design. I love sets that vary in design for each denomination. Dia de los muertos chips do this well too, but I enjoy the cartoony and minimalistic hieroglyphics on the Nile Club. I also like the Majestic’s from Apache Poker chips- I will probably get those next... and I could be convinced to get them now. However, the Nile clubs tend to run cheaper. If I could get the Nile clubs in clay I would be 100% sold but I still like them even though they are ceramic.

I could really use some help here: I found sets of 500ct Nile clubs on a few websites that offer great prices but potentially lack customer service or are just downright shady. The websites are thepokerstore.com, pokerchipmania.com, chipswholesale.com, pokerchiplounge.com, pokerchips.com, and thechipcave.com are offering good deals (but are they too good?) I would love to hear about your experiences with these websites!

I would go with Apache, but some denominations are out right now. I emailed Josh and he said they would be in stock within the next two months (kinda don’t want to wait). The other websites are selling 500ct sets with cases for as low as $200, but I don’t know if i can trust these websites. I emailed someone at the chip cave and I received a response back from a real person within the hour which was a good sign, but I’m still not sure.

Here is the set from The Chip Cave: https://www.chipcave.com/500-nile-club-poker-chips-with-walnut-case/

Thanks in advance- I’m excited to start collecting! :)

Hello and welcome!

You should get samples. A chip can look nice on a monitor and feel not so great in hand, especially the mass produced/bargain kind.
Thanks for the advice :) I wouldn’t want to spend hundreds on a set I don’t love. This is definitely making me think about going to China clay.

What type of stakes do you play typically? That nile club set would kinda be useless unless you play 1/2 nl or higher, as there are no fracs. if you play 1/2 or higher for a home game you probably should get something not readily available as security could be an issue. You are playing with old friends now but should always think and hope that game has room for growth. Have you checked out the pharoah china clays? they might hit more of the sweet spot you are looking for. Get samples is the best advice you will hear constantly lol

Welcome! I would follow recommendations of getting samples, and pending the stakes, having home game security. I would also check out @BR Pro Poker as they can make custom ceramics with any design and denomination you'd like.
Best of luck on your journey!

What type of stakes do you play typically? That nile club set would kinda be useless unless you play 1/2 nl or higher, as there are no fracs. if you play 1/2 or higher for a home game you probably should get something not readily available as security could be an issue. You are playing with old friends now but should always think and hope that game has room for growth. Have you checked out the pharoah china clays? they might hit more of the sweet spot you are looking for. Get samples is the best advice you will hear constantly lol
Thank you @Jasap47. Those pharaohs seem like they could be a perfect sweet spot because they have unique designs for each denom.

im not exactly sure what you are asking (still sorta new to poker) but I see myself playing with 6-8 people, new and old friends alike, and keeping the games under 4 hours. Don’t want them going too long. Just a jun social even.

*just a fun social event. And I’m just out of college and still on a tight budget, so cheap buy ins.

And yes they do have strange denominations, (3 and 2.50) so I guess those won’t be used if that’s what you are talking about. And what do you mean by not readily available... like are you saying that people will sneak in their own chips? I’m not too worried about cheating since I will mainly be playing with friends. @Jasap47

Welcome.

Make sure you like the feel of the chips like weight, material and how they shuffle. It's especially important if you are on a budget. You might try one set of China Clays then switch to ceramics to plastic Bud Jones and then finally get to Paulson clays. But you would've spent a fortune in the meantime.

And some of the lower end stuff don't keep their value much and not really collectibles. So you won't be getting your money back when you are ready to upgrade. Cheers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom