How to Re-felt My Poker Table? (Photos) (1 Viewer)

junior7117

Reaction score
Built this poker table (see photo) with my pops about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I forgot how we did it and he has since passed. I am hosting a tourny next week and really want to re-felt the top. Any idea how I do this? Do I remove the old felt first or just cover it with the new? How do I make it seamless around the edges like it is now where it looks like it's tucked into the table?

Thanks for any help!
thumbnail_IMG_1008.jpg

Normally I would say you can cover over the old felt. However, in your case since it is a racetrack with a raised center area, I would not want to build it up any higher. Replacing would be best IMO.

Look on the bottom of the table. You may find screws or bolts that are holding the center section in place. Remove those and it should lift right out.

I agree, either screws or bolts holding the center section in place. Replacing is also my recommendation for the same height concerns.

A suggestion for improvement while you're already detailing your table. I bet there are screws holding the rail down. If you remove them, you can probably lift out the compression held racetrack. Go to home depot and get a bunch of free paint stick stirrers. get like 10 of them and place them all under the racetrack to act as a spacer. It'll bring the racetrack up to the same level as the padded felted area. I did this to a table I built about 15 years ago and it worked perfect.

Your table looks exactly like mine. Mine has screws that attach the felted piece to the larger base piece, as has been pointed out. Once that's removed, definitely remove the old felt (possibly the old pad, because that may also need to be replaced), and replace with the new felt.

Hope you got the table figured out. I had a similar table that I installed new felt on. Once you get the middle piece out like the others recommended it should be straight forward from there. On my table I just pulled the felt tight over to the backside and stapled it in with a staple gun. Make sure the staples you buy are not longer than the wood is deep.

Here’s where I’m at. I bought felt, got the wrinkles out and instead of watching a video on how to do it, I use the old felt as a template and cut that shape out in the new felt. Now I have half of the table stapled. Any better way to do this or techniques so I can avoid wrinkles?

Attachments

• EF131561-96A2-44EC-9F04-6088BE7D6598.jpeg
    EF131561-96A2-44EC-9F04-6088BE7D6598.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 137
You could try using a hand steamer while it's stretched out, as well. My wife uses it on hanging clothes every now and then. Seems to do the trick on light wrinkles. Not sure how effective it would be on deep, folded material wrinkles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom