How to clean speed cloth? (2 Viewers)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
How do you guys keep your table surface clean? My speed cloth is black and green, and I have spots that had spills on them and I tried to clean them but either I scrubbed to hard or the cleaner was too strong, it caused a light spot in the cloth. How often do you clean it and how?

My old table was just a blue SSC and when we had spills we cleaned them up quickly with a soft wash cloth with just a little hand or dish soap then rinse it with a clean soft cloth with just water.

Typically if it started to get dusty or dirty I would take my vacuum to it as well as I could then do the same thing as above just for the whole table.

If you've already got spotting or stains I really don't know as I never had those.

If you can take it off the table, run it through your clothes washer. I’ve done this twice with excellent results. Once with generic speed cloth and later with a custom felt. Here is the latest:

One of these is makes it doable. Takes me about 30 min to remove a cloth. I don’t use nearly as many staples as I used to.
I'm actually thinking of doing this now. I can't justify spending that much on a remover though. I did some quick googling and didn't come up with many alternatives though. Apparently, Harbor Freight used to sell them but they don't now. Home Depot and Lowes searches came up with nothing.

The more important question though, how difficult is it to work with the speedcloth to re-install it? There is only a 3/4" overlap. It seems like it would be very difficult to re-attach with so little to hold on to.

Cheaper version here on eBay. Copy this number and paste in eBay. 192899042415 search

I'm actually thinking of doing this now. I can't justify spending that much on a remover though. I did some quick googling and didn't come up with many alternatives though. Apparently, Harbor Freight used to sell them but they don't now. Home Depot and Lowes searches came up with nothing.

The more important question though, how difficult is it to work with the speedcloth to re-install it? There is only a 3/4" overlap. It seems like it would be very difficult to re-attach with so little to hold on to.
As long as it is under the rail it doesn't matter. Staple to the outside edge or staple on top. The rail will cover it.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Neck-T...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N326443DXXBBJD18HZTW

You know what? I found an old screwdriver that has a great tip for this purpose. I tried it out on a handful of staples, and it won't take me more than 40 minutes to get them out. I'll just use that. I think I will use less staples when I put it back on. I hope it's not too tough.

You know what? I found an old screwdriver that has a great tip for this purpose. I tried it out on a handful of staples, and it won't take me more than 40 minutes to get them out. I'll just use that. I think I will use less staples when I put it back on. I hope it's not too tough.
Let us know how it goes

As long as it is under the rail it doesn't matter. Staple to the outside edge or staple on top. The rail will cover it.
I'm biting the bullet and doing it! I don't think I realized how dirty it was until I looked at it more closely. I already have the rail off for a LED retrofit, so I might as well. I'm hoping for results like you got. Let me ask you this, did wash on gentle cycle? There are a lot of loose threads from where it was cut, I suppose I don't need to worry about those unravelling?

I'm biting the bullet and doing it! I don't think I realized how dirty it was until I looked at it more closely. I already have the rail off for a LED retrofit, so I might as well. I'm hoping for results like you got. Let me ask you this, did wash on gentle cycle? There are a lot of loose threads from where it was cut, I suppose I don't need to worry about those unravelling?
The first time I did use the gentle cycle with regular speed cloth from YAT. Second time I used permanent press cycle with a Chanman custom felt. Same outcome either way. Came out very clean with no damage.

There are a lot of loose threads from where it was cut, I suppose I don't need to worry about those unravelling?
I would probably trim those loose threads off flush with the edge of the felt before washing.

OK, removing it wasn't TOO bad. Looks great after the wash. It's wrinkled. Can I iron it? Maybe with a cloth between it and the iron?

OK, removing it wasn't TOO bad. Looks great after the wash. It's wrinkled. Can I iron it? Maybe with a cloth between it and the iron?
Yes - low heat and I used a towel between the felt and the iron.

Edit - I also used a wrinkle releaser on the back.

I ironed it as best as I could. Still seems a little wrinkly, but I assume that will come out when I pull it tight to staple.

I iron mine -- both sides -- with a sheet on top using mist. Just take your time and don't melt it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom