How to clean chips the right way? (2 Viewers)

DirtyyD

Sitting Out
Reaction score
What’s the technique and best way of going about cleaning your chips, I’ve never done it before and I have heavily used chips

You’re not gonna like the answer, because it’s labor intensive. It’s time for a @Ben8257 book!

There is no absolute "right" way. All the methods everybody has ever discussed/whined about here will work to get chips clean.

But

there are "easy" and "difficult" ways
there are "cheap" and "expensive" ways
there are "quicker" and "more time consuming" ways

This with an ultrasonic toothbrush
All I use

Attachments

• 3B32C572-0082-4103-A13B-7F511F4D7B7E.jpeg
    3B32C572-0082-4103-A13B-7F511F4D7B7E.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 117
Copied my post from a previous thread on the same....after this you can oil or not oil up to you...I don't oil.

For most chips the sink with warm water, soap and a brush/sponge/cloth will do very well, however

For a "Good Job" I have used my new ultrasonic. It has worked great though I recommend a model without a drain spout as it may corrode (anyway)

For chips I use this recipe which is cheap, safe and easy to source, others use fancier products but this works.
-tap water at 42celcius (put in warm water, the unit also has a heater/monitor)
- course salt, create a hypertonic solution
- dish soap, I tend to buy green palmolive

For really dirty/light colored/special chips
put in only enough chips that can sit flat in the tray and run for 20 second, then take out the chips and using a toothbrush scrub each chip, then put back in the tray and run for ~10-20 more seconds and remove and rinse in the sink, preferably with a strong spraying tap with warm water

For less special/less dirty chips
~20-60 chips in the tray (I have a 6L unit) run for ~30 seconds then for best results use tooth brush to rub over the chip sides and edges to loosen any raised "dirt" then place back in the tray and run for ~20-30 seconds more. Then rinse in the sink preferably with a strong spraying tap with warm water.
Alternatively you can skip the scrubbing with less ideal but acceptable results running for ~30 seconds with ~20 chips in the tray then spraying high pressure with hand tolerable hot water then running again for ~30 seconds and rinsing the same.

For general home use cleaning
Put in btw 20-100 of the same color/denom and run for ~30 second (for best clean remove each chip and scrub with toothbrush, however) then remove the chip tray and spray with high pressure warm water ensuring you spray off the gunk on the chips and repeat up to ~30 more seconds and respray again before a final ~20 seconds and rinse.....

This should remove all surface oil/debris from your chips....white chips become much better and could possibly benefit from an oxidizing agent but I have not experimented with that yet.

Here is a result of what I would call dirty/light colour chips treated with that method
UzhMAZg.jpg

PAUYcYG.jpg

result (the greens were the worst, forgot to take pictures but cleaned up great, cleaned in the real dirty method)
D6jTuSi.jpg

aMkmO0x.jpg

h2flhA7.jpg

No disrespect to anybody; we all do our own things. But I’ve cleaned a lot of chips by hand, and I think using a toothbrush is insane.
If you’re cleaning hot stamps, fine, a big stuff brush will damage the stamps. But for inlayed chips, you want a big stiff brush. It’s probably at least 500% more efficient than a toothbrush.

No disrespect to anybody; we all do our own things. But I’ve cleaned a lot of chips by hand, and I think using a toothbrush is insane.
If you’re cleaning hot stamps, fine, a big stuff brush will damage the stamps. But for inlayed chips, you want a big stiff brush. It’s probably at least 500% more efficient than a toothbrush.
Old Trusty!
20220206_000024.jpg

Used this exact brush on over 30k chips! And yes still cleaning chips at 12:01 AM, and flattening! Lol

I will admit I am a bit of a hoarder....Tooth brushes etc rarely go directly to the trash. Instead they become scrub brushes on tool benches or for small jobs. A full size brush is pretty good for chips and worked pretty well. A more abrassive brush may remove surface grime well but toothbrushes are designed with small brushes to remove dirt from your teeth on a broad surface thus they are ideally suited to remove the fine debris from a chip. The goal I have in using a brush is not to remove everything but just like touching/rubbing dirt so as to loosen it up and let the ultrasonic do the work for you. Cleaning with just soap and water would take so much effort and a different approach than a tooth brush for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom