How to brand my own chips? (1 Viewer)

bhutch33

Reaction score
Hey all!

This is my first time on this forum, and I am more or less just curious what I would need to mark my own set of chips. I just have the normal dice chips, but I was curious what the stamping process for my own designs and denominations would be. Any help would be extremely appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the forums! I’m sure it can be done but don’t waste money on improving dice chips. There are other customization options available.

Custom ceramics can be had for a reasonably low price. Check out brpropoker.com

Classic poker chips: pokerchipsonline.com offers real compression molded clays with hot stamping. Somewhat pricey option but an absolute premium product.

Spend some time reading up on the forum and ask questions. There are tons of valueble information and helpful members.

Staz-on ink pads and a rubber stamp if you really want to go through the effort. Someone might be able to hot-stamp them, too.

Get samples of the chips people here like and you will see why no enthusiasts have dice chips. Check out apachepokerchips.com for some options available at retail.

Putting custom artwork or designs on chips usually takes one of three different forms:
  • Hotstamps - A heated stamp (a "die") presses metallic-colored foil slightly into the surface of the chip. Most chips you see that have some kind of denomination, initials, or symbols on them that are just a single-color design are hotstamped. Hotstamping requires specialized equipment and materials, and it takes some experimentation and practice to learn how to get the stamp to come out right.

• Inlays or decals - A full-color printed circle in the center of the chip. These are basically just round stickers that have been printed in color. These are pretty easy to make and can be applied by anyone. However some chips aren't designed to take a decal, and that includes your dice chips (probably). Chips that will take a decal have a recess molded into the center that the decal can fit into. If the chip is flat across its surface, then putting a label on the chip will make it "bumpy". They won't stack very well; stacks will tend to wobble and fall over.

• Printing directly on the chip - Ceramic chips are designed for this, and will take full-color graphics across their entire face (not just in the center) using a printing process called dye sublimation. Other chips, including dice chips, are not designed for this, although there's an alternative that will work. Non-ceramic chips can often be printed on using silk screening. Silk screened graphics are usually pretty crude-looking and almost always are a single color of ink. It's possible to have nicer-looking silk-screened graphics on a chip but it would take a sophisticated setup that I don't think most vendors have.
There's some other possibilities. You can get chips laser-etched; stores that specialize in trophies and gifts will have the equipment to do this, although probably none of them have tried to do it on poker chips before so it'll be an unusual request for them. You could try using dye-sub printing (look for t-shirt transfer paper to do it yourself) and it might work okay but you might not be happy with the results. You could use spray paint and a stencil. You could use rubber stamps and ink. None of these are common but they might work to your satisfaction.

But in general, if you want chips with a design on them, usually you'll order them from a manufacturer or retailer who can put the design on the chips for you as part of the manufacturing process. Most sellers won't put a design on chips that you didn't buy from them.

If you want to mark up your dice chips, you'll probably have to do some research and get creative. Hopefully this gives you a starting point.

Good luck!

Cards mold group buy? Some designs made to look like hotstamps turned out really well iirc.

Pretty cheap at around 30c/chip

I can help you with hot stamping your dice chips if that’s the direction you want to go. I’m not going to knock your customs. Different people have different needs.
I am interested in this. Do you have a stamp you recommend for dice chips? I bought a cheap custom one from Amazon, but the stamp ink was not compatible because it wouldn’t take, it only smeared. Advice?

I am interested in this. Do you have a stamp you recommend for dice chips? I bought a cheap custom one from Amazon, but the stamp ink was not compatible because it wouldn’t take, it only smeared. Advice?
This is how I started my journey with this forum, looking for ways to brand my dice chips :D
About a year later, trying few different methods of making my own chips and I ended up ordering custom made chips.

This is how I started my journey with this forum, looking for ways to brand my dice chips :D
About a year later, trying few different methods of making my own chips and I ended up ordering custom made chips.
I have a large enough collection of dice chips for a tournament, but my group doesn’t play tournaments. So I’m going to buy a cash set and want to find a way to customize my dice chips for tournament play. Did you ever find an acceptable solution? I’ve heard Staz-on ink pads might work. I could have a custom stamp made or buy an obscure fun design and try that, but I’d like to use a proven method first if possible

I have a large enough collection of dice chips for a tournament, but my group doesn’t play tournaments. So I’m going to buy a cash set and want to find a way to customize my dice chips for tournament play. Did you ever find an acceptable solution? I’ve heard Staz-on ink pads might work. I could have a custom stamp made or buy an obscure fun design and try that, but I’d like to use a proven method first if possible
All in all I think the best solution is to go with custom ceramics. If you factor all the time and hustle you need to go through if you want to do it yourself it's starts to become a no-brainer to order a custom set from China.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom