How should a dedicated dealer use one or two decks? (1 Viewer)

quintooo

Flush
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question.

In the past we've always rotated dealer and shuffler (shuffle behind). But I'm looking to speed up the game with a dedicated dealer. I'm currently teaching a family member to deal, shuffle, and handle chips.

My question is, does a dedicated dealer use two decks? One is the current dealing deck, and the dealer shuffling the other while a hand is going on? Or should the dealer just shuffle after every hand (I typically do 3 riffles, box cut, 1 riffle, cut, though it might take time for the family member to do this at a good speed)

This might be a dumb question.

In the past we've always rotated dealer and shuffler (shuffle behind). But I'm looking to speed up the game with a dedicated dealer. I'm currently teaching a family member to deal, shuffle, and handle chips.

My question is, does a dedicated dealer use two decks? One is the current dealing deck, and the dealer shuffling the other while a hand is going on? Or should the dealer just shuffle after every hand (I typically do 3 riffles, box cut, 1 riffle, cut, though it might take time for the family member to do this at a good speed)
1 deck is standard if you ask me. The cardamom I play at hand shuffles and there dealers only use one deck. If you have a shuffling machine then you shouldn't use 2.

I always full time deal. Order of operations:
1. When hand is finished, dealer should wash remaining stub in with muck and other cards.
2. Dealer gathers washed deck and hands it to the BB of the next hand while also moving the dealer button.
- If the dealer is also playing and is the BB, hand deck to a random player.
3. Player who receives washed deck shuffles during the next hand.
4. Previously shuffled deck (probably at the SB) is handed to dealer with cut card on bottom.
5. Dealer removes cut card and cuts deck onto it.
6. Dealer deals next hand.

2 decks.

Make the button shuffle as it travels around the table. Dealer then cuts the shuffled deck before dealing the next hand. Same as shuffling behind but the deck always gets passed back to the dedicated dealer.

2 decks will speed things up. Who does the shuffling while the dealer is dealing is up to you.
I don't want players to shuffle because half of them do so poorly and the other half have juvenile arthritis. I could shuffle, but definitely my hands do not feel so great after an hour or so of shuffling.

Would depend on how much of a hurry players are to move the game along. Most my home games were at a relaxed paced and I we would have a designated dealer with one deck who would get tips, which most of use were glad to pay so we wouldn't have to shuffle cards.

2 decks will be faster, but not always the most efficient depending on how you do it.

It's nice to have the players shuffle, but that can lead to disastrous results if they aren't good at shuffling.

I always use 2 decks whenever I'm dedicated dealer. I'll deal the cards, and as soon as dealing is done, I put down the stub and start shuffling the 2nd deck. 95% of the time, I'm done shuffling before all players have acted so I can pick up the live deck before chips and cards need to be handled. I put the cut card on top of the shuffled deck which is ready to go for the next hand. It's very efficient.

I know it's a bit of a faux pas to put down the stub, but for a home game, it works really well. There's almost no break between hands, the next hand starts practically immediately once the cards are gathered.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom