How often do you change direction in chips? (1 Viewer)

sbp8984

Flush
Reaction score
Hello everyone at PCF,

I am wondering how often you guys decide that you want to head in a new direction when building your chip sets?

For me, I am still early in the chipping game but from acquiring chips from Jims recent sales, then decided I wanted THC and very close to completing my set. Now I want to head in a different RHC direction all within the space of 4 months...

Is this normal?

Hello everyone at PCF,

I am wondering how often you guys decide that you want to head in a new direction when building your chip sets?

For me, I am still early in the chipping game but from acquiring chips from Jims recent sales, then decided I wanted THC and very close to completing my set. Now I want to head in a different RHC direction all within the space of 4 months...

Is this normal?
It is normal. The only thing that went wrong was you jumping too quickly on building the THC set. Don't we tell all new people to get samples, then get more samples, and then get more samples? This is why. I spent over a year thinking before I jumped on a semi custom set of ceramics. You went much larger than I did and did it much faster. Just slow down, take your sweet ass time, and get more samples.

I have bought and sold Paris $1s twice, maybe next time I’ll keep ’em...

I was going to tag @detroitdad but he already meandered into here.

To answer OP's question, in my first year here, I changed directions a lot. I was still very much in the exploratory stage of determining what I liked. I've completed a HS Cincy cash set after having hand cleaned every single chip and getting two racks of Terrible's fracs to use as fracs, put the custom Gear labels on them, and sold the entire set all within a week because I thought the Jack Detroit chips were just that much nicer (they are!) and I wanted to build a set of those.

As @arch3r states, it's ok to own more than one set! I may have gone a bit overboard (will have seven cash and nine tournament sets when all's said and done, I have five cash and seven tournament right now), but I do find owning more than one set on the same mold (Paulson RHC or THC, for example) to be redundant. Of all 16 sets I will have, there is not a single redundancy in terms of manufacturer and mold.

Now that I've been here a year and a half and know what I like, I'd say it's very unlikely that I deviate course from what I have planned, unless something else comes along that I like more, which short of a BCC MGK molded cash set becoming available to me at an affordable price, or with Paulson suddenly opening up to the home market again, is very unlikely.

This thread has just reaffirmed my initial thoughts...

normal phenom.jpg

It is normal. The only thing that went wrong was you jumping too quickly on building the THC set. Don't we tell all new people to get samples, then get more samples, and then get more samples? This is why. I spent over a year thinking before I jumped on a semi custom set of ceramics. You went much larger than I did and did it much faster. Just slow down, take your sweet ass time, and get more samples.
Samples take all the fun out of it.
on @ side note, Bills were exposed as posers yesterday. What a shame

Hello everyone at PCF,

Is this normal?
Way to often.

Still working on finishing my big tourny set.

Still working on the Sunfly prestige set.

Still working on the limit set.

Still working on a custom cash set.

Still working on a custom T100 tournament set.

So a couple days ago I started a different mixed set.

So much for working on one at a time and getting them done. At least in my defense, I am waiting on other folks to finish up a part of all the other sets except the limit set. So I search for chips and wait for stuff to get done, and come up with new ideas.

Maybe 3 times. Most happened earlier in my chipping days because it took a lot of time to get aware of the availability of things. Now I make projects that are purpose built to things aren' t really changing direction, just tweaking.

Hello everyone at PCF,

Is this normal?
Normal? Yup.

Set? You mean sets!

May as well get used to the idea that you and money are about to become strangers :LOL: :laugh:

I don't change direction I just add new ones over time.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom