How OCD is Too OCD? ASM Color vs CPC (1 Viewer)

Mac128k

Flush
Reaction score
Planning an add-on for my old ASM set. I had the original ASM color samples but I thought I better check the new CPC samples before I order. The good news is that the new colors are awesome! The bad news is that they don't exactly match the old colors :(

ASM Light Green is darker than CPC
Black is about the same.
ASM Lavender is darker than CPC
ASM Canary is lighter than CPC
ASM Maroon is darker than CPC

How much would this bother you? I have about 300 each of the old ones so replacing them all isn't financially responsible.
The $100 on my cash set isn't even close with the new colors so I will have to totally replace those.
The $1 and $5 are pretty off too but I probably have enough.

BTW the dirt on the Canary was on there when I got them today. Must have been lunch time when they packed them :p

IMG_3938.JPG

Well, it would bother me. I would hate seeing the stacks look mixed. But, if it's the only real option and I needed the chips, it is what it is.

I think on a spotted set I'd get over it, but a solid tourney set would tilt me hard.

Reactions: 72o
The picture is a pretty good representation of what it looks like in-person. Can you guys notice it in the pic?

Yes on lavender, green, and maroon. Yellow I don't see it... But that could be me.

How much would this bother you?
I couldn't handle it, especially with my own customs. Would be like a kick in the stomach every time I looked at a stack or a rack. :(

It's one of the biggest reasons I have owned very few solid-color clay sets by any manufacturer -- often there is too much variation within the same color for my liking (greens generally seem to be the worst, but other colors have issues too). Much less noticeable in most spotted chips (but not all).

I experienced the same thing with BCC solid t-mold chips. AFAIK, this is a problem with all clay chip manufacturers. The takeaway is that when ordering customs, order more than you think you'll ever need, and then some.

It's my rebuy chips so I'm not as concerned. If it was in the starting stacks I would hate it.

I remember noticing them at a meet-up, but thought it was light/dirt/oil causing the difference. My stacks disappeared to quickly to really care.

I remember noticing them at a meet-up, but thought it was light/dirt/oil causing the difference. My stacks disappeared to quickly to really care.

I would like to add onto the ones. I won't. Can't risk a different shade of retro blue. That would drive me crazy

Nervous chip buyer here. Just added onto my solid tourney set. I guess Ill wait and see how it turns out.

I have dg peach and dg green chips from two runs, both JimB/ASM so the clay recipes hadn't changed. There will always be some variation between different batches, just the nature of the beast. Of course if CPC has tweaked the colors, the difference would prolly be even greater.

full

These I can live with, but had some BCC chips with variation that I couldn't... :unsure:

My sets will a have year and half between runs. But it seems its really in the batching of the clay where the variance shows up. I have also ordered add on chips to my cash set. I'm hoping now that the edge spots will cover any color difference between the two batch times.

This kind of variation would drive me bonkers. I think I'll be saving up and making a larger up-front purchase for my custom set.

I have dg peach and dg green chips from two runs, both JimB/ASM so the clay recipes hadn't changed. There will always be some variation between different batches, just the nature of the beast. Of course if CPC has tweaked the colors, the difference would prolly be even greater.

These I can live with, but had some BCC chips with variation that I couldn't... :unsure:

I can barely see that and could also live with it. My solid tourney set was for a mythical 30 person game that never happens so I might just suck it up. Still on the fence but I need to decide soon. The cash set on the other hand... :(

Look how off my cash set $100 is! In this case the spots can't hide anything for me because they are the problem.
I'm going to have to scrap these and start over.

IMG_3947.JPG

Here they are compared to the original color sample set. Taken without flash to better represent what it looks like in person.

I can't blame them at all. If I was in a position to buy more at the time, that would be the best guard against this.
So yes, cautionary tale to all of you buyers out there!

IMG_3952.JPG

Here they are compared to the original color sample set. Taken without flash to better represent what it looks like in person.

I can't blame them at all. If I was in a position to buy more at the time, that would be the best guard against this.
So yes, cautionary tale to all of you buyers out there!

View attachment 117992
Well that picture confirms why the pink edgespots are so different on my new 1s. Very glad I ordered new ones and not extras of the original now. The improvement in the dayglow colours is significant, i'm quite impressed.

Well that picture confirms why the pink edgespots are so different on my new 1s. Very glad I ordered new ones and not extras of the original now. The improvement in the dayglow colours is significant, i'm quite impressed.
The new colors are WAY better than I expected. Sure wish these were around back then. Having a real white with ASM was just a dream. It looks great!

I don't think there is a manufacturing process out there for any medium where the colors from different manufacturer lots are identical. Paint, plastics, fabric dye, even LED lights. I have dealt with them all. And it is just the way it is. Nothing extra ordinary about it with chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom