How much would you have to be paid per hour to do this full time? (1 Viewer)

So...how much?

• $0 - I want to die anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $.01 - $3.49 - It's either this or making iPhones

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Tree fiddy

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • $3.50 - $24 - Dad said I had to get a summer job anyway

• $25 - $49

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • $50 - $74

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • $75 - $99

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • $100 - $124

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • $125 - $199

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • $200 - $249

• $250 - $299

• $300 - $399

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • $400 - $499

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500+

Votes: 27 40.3%

• Total voters

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
These guys are out here at one building or another every damn day and just the thought of being up there for hours at a time day after day makes me lightheaded.

And if you see them rappel from 30 floors up straight to the ground at light speed and don't have to look away, you're a stronger man than I.

ifebkxC.jpg

Last edited:
$1000/hr for the first day... after that, we can renegotiate (possibly up, possibly down.)

In a lot of ways I'm sure it beats 8-5 in one of those offices - at least when the weather's nice. :rolleyes:

Of course my actual poll selection was tree-fiddy, 'cuz how can you not? :p

Yeah I get vertigo just thinking about it. In fact, I think I passed out at the Omni Theater once.

IMG_1683.JPG

Btw that guy on the left is getting his ass kicked if they get paid by-the-window.

My brother-in-law wanted to get me into climbing when i first moved to Austria. My very first time we were indoors and about 2/3 of the way up (around 40 feet, if I had to guess) I froze, turned down to him and pointed down. He said "what," I somewhat yelled "down" (was probably more of a terrified whisper), and he responded with a very emphatic "no" while shaking his head and almost laughing. I then gathered myself (as well as I could, given the situation) and thought "either I finish this or my new brother-in-law will always think I'm massive pussy." So I did, and since then we've gone a bunch, even outdoors where you hang off cliffsides a couple of hundred meters up.

So you get used to it.

I was wondering where they pissed while they were up out there and then I realized that's why they don't have to refill their wash pails during their shift.

You could try this in Chicago to see how you might handle it:
Things change. I was airborne in the army, 27 jumps; used to do a lot of rock climbing (not just bouldering), thought nothing of walking around at the edges of house roofs, putting up ham radio towers and antennae, etc.

Now it's a real challenge to make it to the top of a 20-foot ladder...and I have no idea why.

Jack, those guys are amateurs. The real nut cases climb aerial towers to change a lightbulb:

IMG_7337.JPG
IMG_7338.JPG

Go full screen, @jbutler. I dare you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 72o
Yeah, the tower climbers astound me just because the only way to change a lightbulb on a 1500' tower in 2017 is to have a human climb up it.

And I'm sure you guys have seen the Russian sickos who climb towers and then do pull ups or handstands over the abyss, sometimes while everything is wet or snowy. Literally makes my nuts move to watch that shit full screen in HD. No hyperbole, my nuts physically get closer to my body and I feel light all over, insane physical reaction to watching a video in my opinion. Super view on a go pro or a fish eye lens makes it worse.

Almost all of them day the same thing though, 50' up or 5000' up the consequences are almost identical, ones just going to leave you in a neater pile, so might as well go big.

Not enough money available to get me to do that. :sick:

My balance has gotten so bad now I have problems staying upright on flat ground.

Reactions: 72o
I had a chimney guy (20+ years doing this work) fall off my roof this past Monday. He broke both his legs, and a compound fracture in his left wrist. I did first aid to try and stop the bleeding on his leg from the old tv antenna that had gone right through his calf when he landed until the paramedics arrived. I think he tried to grab the antenna to stop the slip and carried it down with him when it snapped.

I think the fall was maybe 25, 30 feet? He hit my outdoor AC air handler on the landing.

My 11yo son helped me deal with the situation, we were kind of hidden on the side of the house so he helped direct the paramedics to the right spot. When they were strapping the guy to the board I told my son "This is why you don't play on roofs."

I had a chimney guy (20+ years doing this work) fall off my roof this past Monday. He broke both his legs, and a compound fracture in his left wrist. I did first aid to try and stop the bleeding on his leg from the old tv antenna that had gone right through his calf when he landed until the paramedics arrived. I think he tried to grab the antenna to stop the slip and carried it down with him when it snapped.

I think the fall was maybe 25, 30 feet? He hit my outdoor AC air handler on the landing.

My 11yo son helped me deal with the situation, we were kind of hidden on the side of the house so he helped direct the paramedics to the right spot. When they were strapping the guy to the board I told my son "This is why you don't play on roofs."

Was he done with the chimney? I hate it when they stop mid-job.

I liked rappelling in the Forces, so I put my rate at 75-99 per hour. I would only work in the summer and fall, though

Yeah, hell no.

I do believe you get used to it though. I used to be very afraid of heights. Then I went skydiving once and I was "cured". Only lasted a year or two. Now I get vertigo just looking at stuff like that.

I also found that once you go high enough, it doesn't feel as real anymore so not as scary. Kind of like looking out the window of an airplane. The world looks like an elaborate train set until you get fairly close to the ground. 30 stories might not be high enough for that though.

I use to free climb cliffs in my late teens and early twenties. My cousin dared me to climb the anchor cables to a suspension bridge that stood 200+ feet above a river when I was in my mid thirties. I did it on the condition that he would follow behind me. I got to the point where the suspension cables angled sharply upwards. He was about 50 feet behind. He said he couldn't go on. I was so damned relieved. I had that sick feeling in my stomach.

Afterwards, I thought about the cliffs I had boldly scaled when I was younger and realized that I wouldn't climb the majority of those faces if there was a half a million dollars waiting for me at the top. Strange how 15 years can change a person.

Yeah, hell no.

I do believe you get used to it though. I used to be very afraid of heights. Then I went skydiving once and I was "cured". Only lasted a year or two. Now I get vertigo just looking at stuff like that.

I also found that once you go high enough, it doesn't feel as real anymore so not as scary. Kind of like looking out the window of an airplane. The world looks like an elaborate train set until you get fairly close to the ground. 30 stories might not be high enough for that though.

Having done both, skydiving is different from gradually climbing a sheer face or a 1500 ft. tower. The later takes more of a gut-check. (Do you see what I did there?)

I'm on the high angle rescue team. I currently do this for considerably less than the $24 that top ends the bracket I clicked.

If any of you that clicked on $25 of higher decide to run for city council, I highly recommend referring to this thread when deciding firefighter wages. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom