How many "hours" do you get out of a single card set up? (1 Viewer)

How many hours of play do you get out of a plastic deck?

• Total voters

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Plastic cards are much more durable, but they still do wear over time/get bent or otherwise marked by card capped card peekers/etc. How long do you tend to use your cards before you cycle them out?

I tend to use them for about ~50 hours of play or so. They are definitely notably used compared to a new set up at that point - wondering if I'm a cheap ass who is waiting too long.

I will reuse a setup until it can no longer uphold the integrity of the game. I'm only on the second setup for my bar poker games after over a year of twice weekly games. First setup developed some faded backs that were identifiable after ~9 months

5 - 6 sessions of 5 -7 hour games before a card always seems to get marked. Take your cappers off your cards folks. I always carry spares, even to other people's games. Always amazed when a host doesn't have additional set ups ready to go just in case.

Also the pips start fading.. I prefer to just keep it fresh (what's $20 when you have a couple grand on the table?) I have played in games using 15 plus year old decks... and they look like 15 year old decks! Gross

As I am on his "IgNoiR" list.... (See what I did there), I shouldn't answer..... But....

I generally get 14-18 games per deck. I generally will pull a deck once it starts getting sticky. These decks that are pulled can get rotated in, and I won't generally toss a deck until it's damaged.

I've found taking them to family events and doing card tricks for the kids, then letting them keep ACTUAL GOOD CARDS can be fun.

I'll also say, it's super dependant on the type of cards, and how people shuffle. I've seen some faded spades that have months worth of play just chugging along. I'm still running off the remnants of my Cartimundi Buy for another...... 6 years?

Last edited:
At this point my decks may be more dead than alive. I stockpile the same type so if a single card gets marked or otherwise unfit for play I keep a swap setup that I can replace the card from. Eventually if the whole lot gets too nasty or unfit for play I dump them, and keep my swap setup ready for the new one.

I have so many setups I’ve never worn cards out. Some Copags I had years ago did bleed in storage and were thrown out.
I did have a setup of Kem Arrows bought in 2003 and played with until 2005 when I retired them. They were still playable but I had bought other decks by then and wanted to use them. If I had to guess those Kems had 80-100 hours on them I would imagine. I still have them.

I used a slightly more than average number of decks and adopt a rotation of decks for usage so each deck get used every 2-3 months. Can't really know for sure how long they will last individually.

I only replace the card if they get marked or destroyed, and I washed my cards too if they get dirty

1657251216517.png

As I am on his "IgNoiR" list.... (See what I did there), I shouldn't answer..... But....

I generally get 14-18 games per deck. I generally will pull a deck once it starts getting sticky. These decks that are pulled can get rotated in, and I won't generally toss a deck until it's damaged.

I've found taking them to family events and doing card tricks for the kids, then letting them keep ACTUAL GOOD CARDS can be fun.

I'll also say, it's super dependant on the type of cards, and how people shuffle. I've seen some faded spades that have months worth of play just chugging along. I'm still running off the remnants of my Cartimundi Buy for another...... 6 years?
MY KINGDOM FOR A GROAN REACTION EMOJI.

Now you are on super secret double ignore.

who's out here replacing decks every game? If you've got any "used" decks, I'd be happy to take them off your hands, at an appropriate price of course ;)

I bought a box of Copags. 6 red, 6 blue. If a card gets damaged I replace the card. I currently have one sealed of each color left, while the rest are backups. I bought the box over 10 years ago...

I recently switched to Copag thinking I’d get at least a year of use from them but my players marked a few already with their bad peaking skills.

thinking I’ll buy another set and swap out the marked cards as they happen.

I think of replacing my decks only if a card is marked, if the cards are sticky, or if they show signs of wear (like ink fading). Regarding the ink, if it is an easily found setup (example Copag), I would change them immediately. If it's a rare setup (like Piatnik), I might still keep them in play.

By the way, how many spare setups do you have for rare/hard to find cards. I mean, I bought Alphas that I love. So, I acquired two additional setups. Where do you draw the line?

I usually swap out decks when I start seeing the physical wear on pips or a card is clearly bent and recognizable. That usually happens every ~50 hours I'd estimate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom