How many dog lives are worth one human life? (3 Viewers)

How many dog lives are worth one human life?

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 2-10

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 11-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-100

• 101-250

• 251-500

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 501-1000

• 1001-5000

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 5001-Extinction of all dogs

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Pretty simple question. If you were faced with the choice of allowing either X number of dogs to die or allowing one human being to die, how high would X have to be before you would allow the human to die?

Due to the limitation of the polling, obviously the options are not as discrete as they would be without limitations. Feel free to clarify in the thread if you have a precise number that you feel is not adequately represented by the ranges available.

EDIT: To clarify, the dog and human are both unknown to you in every respect and are simply random representatives of their species. There is no possibility that you will find out after the fact that you knew any of the parties involved.

Last edited:
My own dog = infinity humans would die
11150677_10100588912022609_1888859622794207281_n.jpg

I'd run back into a burning building to save my dog (or probably any dog, really), so I think it's 1-1...though I can think of several people that I would most definitely leave in the building while splitting a 40oz of the Private Stock with IBetOnAnything.

Assuming the human is just some random stranger that I know nothing about. I guess I'd kill thousand dogs. If I chose the human, then find out he had a family of any sort, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Now if he was a pedophile rapist piece of shit............well that would changes things. The OP didn't discuss the nature of the "human". I can only assume its a random dude.

What if the human was a baby? toddler? does that change things for people?

Can I cherry pick the humans? My shitlist is pretty long. I'd have trouble narrowing it down to a 1,000 maybe.

Assuming the human is just some random stranger that I know nothing about. I guess I'd kill thousand dogs. If I chose the human, then find out he had a family of any sort, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Now if he was a pedophile rapist piece of shit............well that would changes things. The OP didn't discuss the nature of the "human". I can only assume its a random dude.

what if the dog has a family too

random human/dog(s). no cherry picking.

Dogs>humans
Unless it's a yappy pocket dog in which case it's a closer contest. I am a big dog kinda gal.

Seriously, almost daily I say "dogs are SOOOO much better than people". This is typically spoken shortly after my commute, or watching the news, or...

what if the dog has a family too

I'm a dog person. I was canine police for 5 years. I've owned a canine as a pet since I was 5. They are a staple of my family. Ultimately its still a dog. If this was to come to fruition, it would suck giant sweaty balls. I think the day any of us realistically chooses an animal over a human, well, then the downfall of society will be well on its way.

the question as it arose at a poker table was, if you were given a gun and told under credible threat of death should you decline, you had to either shoot a random person in the head or a random dog, which would you pick?

my argument was that 90%+ of dogs that i've ever met were awesome and something like 50% of human beings suck nuts, so it's an easy call - shoot the human all day. i think i'm still on that page, so i voted 1 above.

I'd run back into a burning building to save my dog (or probably any dog, really), so I think it's 1-1...though I can think of several people that I would most definitely leave in the building while splitting a 40oz of the Private Stock with IBetOnAnything.
Howd you know I was going to pick Private Stock? Sick read.

Assuming randoms on both sides I'd save 1 human over infinite dogs.

doesn't change a thing. babies and toddlers are actually more expendable imo.

i remember watching the below opening minute of a Civil Action where he explains the value of human life as determined by a personal injury lawyer and thinking, "yeah, duh, obviously a dead child is worth the least."

Assuming randoms on both sides I'd save 1 human over infinite dogs.

my reading comprehension isn't the greatest. are you saying that you would cause dogs to go extinct in order to save one human life?

think about it another way, no gun involved.

if you saw a burning building and were told there was only 2 beings in there, 1 dog and 1 human (you werent told if the dog was a puppy or breed) (you werent told if the human was a 18 month old baby or a 50 year old pedophile)

and you had the ability to save one of them, which would you choose?

if you saw a burning building and were told there was only 2 beings in there, 1 dog and 1 human (you werent told if the dog was a puppy or breed) (you werent told if the human was a 18 month old baby or a 50 year old pedophile)

definitely better way to put it. definitely still saving the dog.

my argument was that 90%+ of dogs that i've ever met were awesome and something like 50% of human beings suck nuts, so it's an easy call - shoot the human all day. i think i'm still on that page, so i voted 1 above.

I agree with that wholeheartedly... Very, very rarely I meet a dog that is not awesome... My ratio on sucky human beings would be way higher than Butler's though...

Voted 1,001-5,000, because I'm not okay with extinction of the species. Dogs are great, but couldn't live with myself if let a random person die.

still saving the person. I honestly think most of us here would make the "save the human" choice here.

still saving the person. I honestly think most of us here would make the "save the human" choice here.

i think most people would as well which is why the number is the more interesting question.

i find it difficult to believe that people would really rather save one human than a thousand dogs. but i guess i shouldn't since my view of humans is dim enough that i would chose 1 dog over 1 human ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom