How many dog lives are worth one human life? (2 Viewers)

How many dog lives are worth one human life?

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 2-10

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 11-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-100

• 101-250

• 251-500

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 501-1000

• 1001-5000

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 5001-Extinction of all dogs

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
i think most people would as well which is why the number is the more interesting question.

i find it difficult to believe that people would really rather save one human than a thousand dogs. but i guess i shouldn't since my view of humans is dim enough that i would chose 1 dog over 1 human ;)

What profession are you in if I may ask? Has that help lead to your opinion on the human race? I've been police/security/military/correction work for the better part of 25+ years. Most of my "job security" comes from dumbass's pieces of shit that probably shouldn't be wasting oxygen. I was a bitter person for a long time because I had got beaten down with some of the shit I had to deal with.

All that, I'm still not taking a random dudes life over a dog (s).

I will agree it is definitely an interesting topic of discussion.

After thinking this over I created a chart on the value of animals compared to a random humanoid.

Ant 20,000 to 1
Giraffe 500 to 1
Lizard 1000 to 1
Lion 5000 to 1
Unicorn 1 to 1 duh
Cat 2 to 1
Dog 5 to 1
Humback whale 6 to 1
Dolphin 1 to 1

Convicted child molester or Dog

Dog wins.

What profession are you in if I may ask? Has that help lead to your opinion on the human race? I've been police/security/military/correction work for the better part of 25+ years. Most of my "job security" comes from dumbass's pieces of shit that probably shouldn't be wasting oxygen. I was a bitter person for a long time because I had got beaten down with some of the shit I had to deal with.

All that, I'm still not taking a random dudes life over a dog (s).

I will agree it is definitely an interesting topic of discussion.

i'm a lawyer. if anything, my profession has caused me to become more sympathetic to humanity. but even as my opinion has swayed more in favor of humans over time, my opinion of dogs has stayed static at "they are awesome".

i don't believe any human being is intrinsically evil, but they are certainly more capable of evil and commit more evil acts than dogs.

Is there an "ignore thread" option somewhere? Not trolling, I really want to know. I don't want to block Butler but I really don't want to see this thread again - at all.

I would save the person over the dog. I might choose to try and shoot guy/gal who handed me the gun and the choice.

I have heard that animal charities get better fund raising response to "send money and save a dog" than human charities that ask for money "to save the life of a staving child".

I think people are irrational about this - looking at how many animals are killed in shelters you would think the data supports a huge ratio of dog lives vs human lives. But then you see how people donate money and you wonder if the ratio is close to 1-1

I will say if we were talking about my wife's dogs that the human better be running away as fast as he/she can. One of the few life bans in my game came as a result of someone kicking her old schnauzer.

And she remembered the guy twelve years later too, he's toast -=- DrStrange

Is there an "ignore thread" option somewhere? Not trolling, I really want to know. I don't want to block Butler but I really don't want to see this thread again - at all.

zcNo1rx.jpg

i'm a lawyer. if anything, my profession has caused me to become more sympathetic to humanity. but even as my opinion has swayed more in favor of humans over time, my opinion of dogs has stayed static at "they are awesome".

i don't believe any human being is intrinsically evil, but they are certainly more capable of evil and commit more evil acts than dogs.
this makes so much sense as to all the time he has for PCF forums, charging clients $100s of dollars per hour posting dog threads. ;) ;) ;)

doesn't change a thing. babies and toddlers are actually more expendable imo.

This may be the most disturbing line of this whole ridiculous thread. Hopefully there is some sarcasm or something else involved here that I missed. If not you obviously do not have kids/neices/nephews, close friends with kid/ etc. I cannot think of a child baby or toddler that is expendable.

So you are saying just you and a dog stranded on an island only one can live long enough for rescue....you will shoot yourself in the head to allow the dog to eat your remains and survive. If not what makes your life more valuable than some other random human when both are compared to a dog's life

IF all things are equal and there is nothing else to base this decision off of then Human>Dog every time. That said there are variables that would change this decision. I have grown up on a farm all of my life (except for college), and been around animals of all sorts.....I would kill any animal before a dog, but all things equal(and random) no dog's life is more valuable than a human.

This may be the most disturbing line of this whole ridiculous thread. Hopefully there is some sarcasm or something else involved here that I missed. If not you obviously do not have kids/neices/nephews, close friends with kid/ etc. I cannot think of a child baby or toddler that is expendable.

So you are saying just you and a dog stranded on an island only one can live long enough for rescue....you will shoot yourself in the head to allow the dog to eat your remains and survive. If not what makes your life more valuable than some other random human when both are compared to a dog's life

IF all things are equal and there is nothing else to base this decision off of then Human>Dog every time. That said there are variables that would change this decision. I have grown up on a farm all of my life (except for college), and been around animals of all sorts.....I would kill any animal before a dog, but all things equal(and random) no dog's life is more valuable than a human.

i'll admit to a little sarcastic hyperbole on that one.

interesting hypothetical re: me and dog on desert island, but not quite the same as the poll in the OP because i have the ability to gauge the value of my life relative to the dog's life whereas in the OP, the hypothetical is that all you have to go on is the average value of a human life relative to the average value of a dog's life.

as to your hypo, no, i would not kill myself for the dog. but that's also in large part because the context is so abstract. if we're alone on a desert island, we are equal in our contributions to one another and humanity perhaps with the exception that i might somehow be finding food for the dog depending on the environment and plant/animal life present on the island. if that's the case, i guess the dog dies because without me he would die whereas without him i might live a while longer.

i'll admit to a little sarcastic hyperbole on that one.

interesting hypothetical re: me and dog on desert island, but not quite the same as the poll in the OP because i have the ability to gauge the value of my life relative to the dog's life whereas in the OP, the hypothetical is that all you have to go on is the average value of a human life relative to the average value of a dog's life.

as to your hypo, no, i would not kill myself for the dog. but that's also in large part because the context is so abstract. if we're alone on a desert island, we are equal in our contributions to one another and humanity perhaps with the exception that i might somehow be finding food for the dog depending on the environment and plant/animal life present on the island. if that's the case, i guess the dog dies because without me he would die whereas without him i might live a while longer.

You never know that dog may be able to provide for himself better than you can for yourself ;) Pretty sure mine could......I would have trouble living off of mice and packrats:eek:

So much trolling in the thread, anyone claiming a random dog over random person is full of shit.

Imagine driving home and seeing a dead dog on the side of the road that was hit by a car. Now imagine seeing a dead baby who had been hit.

/thread

So much trolling in the thread, anyone claiming a random dog over random person is full of shit.

Imagine driving home and seeing a dead dog on the side of the road that was hit by a car. Now imagine seeing a dead baby who had been hit.

Okay, so how many dead dogs do you need to see before you begin to feel as upset as you feel over the dead baby?

As a lifetime dog owner and obscene over the top embracer of all things canine, I would shoot a dog over a human being. Growing up, I always said it would be easier to kill a human than a dog because of my love for dogs and mistrust of humans, but life has put me in another spot during my adult years. Yes, as an adult I have seen the good of humans and thus have faith in them.

I do not subscribe to believing people are as rotten as others suggest, but then again I feel like I've been exposed to a lot of "people love" in a small growing town I live in, as ghee as that sounds. Having raised 3 daughters and joined in force with other families the trials and tribulations of raising a family along with the benefits of watching progress in a child, I would be haunted by the fact that the person I shot could be a parent, caregiver or child which would destroy the lives of many others, both family and friends. Killing a dog would not have the same adverse effects of a human killing. Depression, Suicide, PTSD, Anger and all things bad would blanket a circle of friends and family based on the unnecessary death of a single human. The dog death (I've buried three 100+ lb dogs on my own property) results in personal hurt that goes away incrementally and often replaced with more dogs for future love. Don't get me wrong, I cry and cry often for the months/years following many of my dogs passings, but I'd say I've had more issues getting over my mothers death 10 years ago than 4 dogs that have died since. My past/current dogs are the only living things in my house that I never yell at or punish because I have an inherent belief that dogs can not do any bad. My kids point that out to me often, but alas I gotta go with the person.

I think the core of it for me is that having children of my own, in no way will I shoot a person over a dog.

As a lifetime dog owner and obscene over the top embracer of all things canine, I would shoot a dog over a human being. Growing up, I always said it would be easier to kill a human than a dog because of my love for dogs and mistrust of humans, but life has put me in another spot during my adult years. Yes, as an adult I have seen the good of humans and thus have faith in them.

I do not subscribe to believing people are as rotten as others suggest, but then again I feel like I've been exposed to a lot of "people love" in a small growing town I live in, as ghee as that sounds. Having raised 3 daughters and joined in force with other families the trials and tribulations of raising a family along with the benefits of watching progress in a child, I would be haunted by the fact that the person I shot could be a parent, caregiver or child which would destroy the lives of many others, both family and friends. Killing a dog would not have the same adverse effects of a human killing. Depression, Suicide, PTSD, Anger and all things bad would blanket a circle of friends and family based on the unnecessary death of a single human. The dog death (I've buried three 100+ lb dogs on my own property) results in personal hurt that goes away incrementally and often replaced with more dogs for future love. Don't get me wrong, I cry and cry often for the months/years following many of my dogs passings, but I'd say I've had more issues getting over my mothers death 10 years ago than 4 dogs that have died since. My past/current dogs are the only living things in my house that I never yell at or punish because I have an inherent belief that dogs can not do any bad. My kids point that out to me often, but alas I gotta go with the person.

I think the core of it for me is that having children of my own, in no way will I shoot a person over a dog.

good point with regard to the indirect effects on family/friends. i'm a solipsistic prick, so naturally that didn't even occur to me. will probably have to change my vote from 1 to something else.

but is there an amount of dogs that, for you, would outweigh those concerns?

think about it another way, no gun involved.

if you saw a burning building and were told there was only 2 beings in there, 1 dog and 1 human (you werent told if the dog was a puppy or breed) (you werent told if the human was a 18 month old baby or a 50 year old pedophile)

and you had the ability to save one of them, which would you choose?

Random dog/human? Fuck 'em both, not going in.

I'd save the human over the dog all day, every day.

i think it's pretty safe to say this is the opinion of the vast majority. but as above, the question is how many dogs would you allow to die to save one human life.

i think it's pretty safe to say this is the opinion of the vast majority. but as above, the question is how many dogs would you allow to die to save one human life.

However many it takes, and I'm a serious dog guy. Apparently an even more serious human guy.

I seen today near my office a guy about 25 years old on rollerblades throwing a husky to the ground, yelling at it and pushing its head really hard into the grass over and over for a few minutes..a few cars were stopping to watch and see what he would do next but I walked over to him. The dog at this point was really loudly yelping in discomfort. I could here it through the door about 200 yards away. I confronted him and asked what the fuck you are doing. He said the dog was tired and he lived 2 blocks away. I sternly told him to cut it out and be nice to the dog. It was unreal what he was doing. He almost nearly bodyslammed it to the ground 2 times.
Between him, the dog and a 9mm in my hands at that point. Hes dead

In hindsight , I should have called animal control and followed him.

All of them. I never met a dog I didn't like. I would still choose all dogs die to save a single human.

All of them. I never met a dog I didn't like. I would still choose all dogs die to save a single human.

See this is where I disagree. In addition to being awesome, dogs provide great therapeutic value to many people. Can you calculate the negative consequences of the extinction of the whole species versus the negative consequences of one person's death? I think probably the net morale drop from the extinction of dogs would be significantly higher. Also, what would happen to the food market in Vietnam?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom