How many denoms do you like to have in play in a cash game? (1 Viewer)

As many as I can rake in during a session . . . sadly, that usually means one or two of the three or four that are in play.

Depending on how big (deep) the game is playing, at .25/.50, usually three denoms. For one table, I have a rack of Fracs and 200 x $1s, then as many $5s as we need (I have 1300 Riverside bluebirds). But at some point, it makes more sense to start using the $25s as well, to keep stacks manageable. And if we're in MA/NH, the $25s and gorgeous pink hundos are going to hit the felt sooner rather than later.

Yeah -- of you can swing it, for limit games, one denom is the way to go. Like the Bee Room's 4,000+ $1 chips. or the infamous pink chip games in AC.

.25/.5 game but plays more like a .25/$3 game especially as the night goes on. I like to have a lot of chips in play so we've had some .25 (200) all of my $1's (500) and $5's (300) plus some barrels of $20s. Satisfies me to see all of the stacks at the end of the night.

My group plays .25/.25 max $40 with the average buy-in being $25 or $30.

If I'm the bank, everybody starting the table gets a barrel of .25's with additional chips up to a barrel of $1's. Buy ins of more than $25 get the rest in .25's and $1's until I've distributed one barrel of .25's and one barrel of $1's for each player who will be playing that night (whether they've arrived yet or not). After that, it's all $5's. Late arriving players get their buy in in $5's, reloads are in $5's, etc. If an unexpected player shows up, another barrel each of .25's and $1's hit the table.

In other words, I like to play three denoms with a barrel each of the first two to every player. In this way, a chip set of 500 will always cover the game (10 max) and leave space in a 600 count carrier for cards, buttons, etc. I'm carrying 2 racks each of .25's and $1's with a rack of $5's (which may, depending on the set, contain a barrel of $25's which are never needed but sometimes played).

My group plays .25/.25 max $40 with the average buy-in being $25 or $30.

If I'm the bank, everybody starting the table gets a barrel of .25's with additional chips up to a barrel of $1's. Buy ins of more than $25 get the rest in .25's and $1's until I've distributed one barrel of .25's and one barrel of $1's for each player who will be playing that night (whether they've arrived yet or not). After that, it's all $5's. Late arriving players get their buy in in $5's, reloads are in $5's, etc. If an unexpected player shows up, another barrel each of .25's and $1's hit the table.

In other words, I like to play three denoms with a barrel each of the first two to every player. In this way, a chip set of 500 will always cover the game (10 max) and leave space in a 600 count carrier for cards, buttons, etc. I'm carrying 2 racks each of .25's and $1's with a rack of $5's (which may, depending on the set, contain a barrel of $25's which are never needed but sometimes played).

This is my exact home game stakes and buyin as well. (Min 20 max 40) I do 1 barrel of quarters and 15 $1 for everyone and the. use $5's for the rest. Most people buyin for 20 or 40 so it's super efficient and foolproof way to distribute chips.

Last edited:
I guess I'm nearly alone in trying to minimize the small chips on the table. 12 per player is all they get. Reloads and rebuys are as large a denom as possible. $25 and $5. Or maybe a hundo.

I guess I'm nearly alone in trying to minimize the small chips on the table. 12 per player is all they get. Reloads and rebuys are as large a denom as possible. $25 and $5. Or maybe a hundo.

I don't mind having lots of quarters as it encourages good opening bet sizing (3-5bb)

The opening raises in my .25/.50 is $2-$4... When they throw 8 quarters instead of 2 singles... It's just a nuisance.

That is annoying. There's a lot of limp callers in my game so if I have a chance to open I'll usually do it with a $1 chips and they follow suit:)

Guess I'm lucky. I use a starting stack of 20/20/15 (.25/1/5). Most players only use the quarters in small increments, and don't usually bet more than 4 at a time. I use 200 x $.25, 300 x $1, and then $5s. Once 5s are gone, pending which set I use, then we go higher. I love tons of chips on the table,and try to kep the $20/$25 out of play

I find there is a natural balance between the guys who bet eight fracs instead of two singles, and the guys who decide they need to hoard all the chips of one denom "for fun". My home game is really just a thinly disguised OCD support group.

Last edited:
I really like to keep it simple for cashing out those who leave with $$, I don't want to count a lot of chips.

I do .25, 1, 5, and 25, I will get 100 on the table on the third $100 re-buy.

For a $100 buy-in at .25/.50
12 - $.25
12 - $1
12 - $5
1- $25 Per person for the first buy-in, then 25's for the second buy-in, until the third or fourth person then I get the big hundo's

I did not follow my own rule at my last game and I was counting fraks till my eye BURST, I will no longer try to get my all my fraks on the table..
Also my players were using the fraks for $4 bets and although its fun and silly, its takes time for the dealer to count to verify the correct amount....

I play at a home game that runs it just like this as well. Makes it easy.

We used to play .25/.5 with $20 buy ins.

Starting stacks
.25 x 12
$1 x 13
$2 x 2

rebuys were generally 20 x $1

I liked to play with the $2 as a bit of a special 'chaser chip' as we were all crap at playing it more about the laughs. A $5 on the table would be too high for the betting levels that people were comfortable with.

If we are playing NL/PL only games I start with 3 denominations on the table ($0.25/$1/$5) and if it gets deep enough then I'll add the 4th denomination ($20 or $100, depends on my mood and stacks). If we are playing only limit games or mostly limit with some NL/PL mixed in I will use $1 and $20 only, with some quarters if needed. My players are good enough at counting out bets that the $5 chips aren't needed for the games so I leave them off the table.

I do a Deep Stack .50/$1 NL game - .50/$1/$5 chips and $25 plaques. Min rebuy is $200 and I give 1 stack of $5 and a brick of $1 bills.

Reminds me of my recent trip to Hard Rock Tampa. I sat in a $2/4 limit game while I waited for my seat to come up. I go over to the table the brush directed me to and saw a bunch of $2 chips on the table. I said to the dealer 'excuse me I must be at the wrong table'. No this is 2/4 he replied. I was like WTF who uses $2 chips in a 2/4 game???? $1s, $2s and $5s on the same table and the dealer was always making change.

Sometimes I've sat at a limit game with Redbirds waiting for a nl seat and they force you to go get white for the simple reason that smart dealers don't want to make change.

i remember Leonard stating the preference years ago for skipping $25s in $1/2 NL games where larger denoms were needed, preferring to just use $1s, $5s, and $100s.

This is my preference, although we usually have some $25s as well. I like lots and lots of $5 chips and the $100s are there to make sure we don't run out of chips. Plus they usually make an impression if you toss a few in the pot. BTW my players hate $20 chips.

L

We play .10/.25 with most people buying in for $50, some for $60. Starting stacks are 10/.10, 16/.25 and the rest in $1s until I run out, then $5s. I have 500 $1 chips.
I am working on the blinds being moved to .25/.50.

We play .10/.25 with most people buying in for $50, some for $60. Starting stacks are 10/.10, 16/.25 and the rest in $1s until I run out, then $5s. I have 500 $1 chips.
I am working on the blinds being moved to .25/.50.

If you want to get rid of the .10 denom but your players are hesitant about a jump in stakes you could consider .25/.25 blinds. It's what my home game plays and I find the starting stacks to be very convenient; one barrel of .25 and the rest in $1 chips. Rebuys are in $5 chips.

If you want to get rid of the .10 denom but your players are hesitant about a jump in stakes you could consider .25/.25 blinds. It's what my home game plays and I find the starting stacks to be very convenient; one barrel of .25 and the rest in $1 chips. Rebuys are in $5 chips.

Thanks for idea, I'm pretty sure we can get this done.

I like the idea of the two blinds being the same (in lower limit games). It encourages more community cards to be seen, by more people.

I like .50-.50 games. Especially if I'm using my terribles set.

i have really come around on the issue of .50/.50 being preferable to .25/.50. in addition to the ease with which the game runs, the fact that i rarely run games lower than $1/1 makes me prefer .50/.50 because it requires i keep fewer fracs on hand. you can very easily run a .50/.50 game with fewer than 10 fracs per player. in a pinch, it's even quite doable to use 5 per player.

i never really benefited from the additional action that other say having identical blinds creates, but mostly because all the games i play in are loose enough that there is no difference. but i suppose if you have a game that would ever under any circumstances see a SB fail to complete, i guess it's an added bonus that that can't happen.

I'm in a mind debate now about whether or not to go with .25 or .50 chips for the deja set. Right now I'm good with quarters. 120 should be good for a 16 person cash game without making too much change at the table.

Sent using tapatalk!

I'm in a mind debate now about whether or not to go with .25 or .50 chips for the deja set. Right now I'm good with quarters. 120 should be good for a 16 person cash game without making too much change at the table.

i think it really depends on the typical stakes of your game. if you play predominantly .25/.50, then it's certainly conceivable that you might want to play a lower stakes game one night of .25/.25 just to mess around. the typical stakes for the games i use my chips for are $1/2, so even if we play lower (very occasionally they'll want to play $1/1 to play the dumb games - SOHE, et al.) we're only playing $1/1.

frankly the only reason i buy fracs anymore is in case i move and the new crowd wants to play low or to control for the (quite remote) possibility that i host a meet up, in which case i know there'll be at least one table of .50/.50. even the stud games we play use $1 antes and 95% of the time we'll do a button ante anyway.

Sent using tapatalk!

or just get both!!! Moar chips the better :)

or just get both!!! Moar chips the better :)

generally i agree with the moar chipes premise, but if i can minimize fracs in order to get moar workhorse denoms, that's preferable imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom