How light do you call a preflop 200bb overshove? (2 Viewers)

SendThatStack

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Villain in this hand is very spewy in general and is known to go in for big stacks fairly light but wont show up with a suited connector or suited Ace rag in this scenario. More of a wide value range. He can also value shove a huge stack too with the top of his range. Both the shortstacks that all in before him are loose cannons.

8 handed .50/$1
utg+1: open shove $20
utg+2 shove in $45
HJ: All in $250
hero is CO with $225 in chips. Calling range?

And if you knew the players behind you to act were going to fold how does that change your range?

That's a pretty easy fold. I'm only calling here with Kings or better, but I'm a nitty ass nit, what do I know?

If action folds to you in the cut off I'm raising just about any pocket pair, any suited connectors 8 or above, any nut flush draw, or any ace with a jack, queen, or king. Fold everything else.

That's a pretty easy fold. I'm only calling here with Kings or better, but I'm a nitty ass nit, what do I know?

If action folds to you in the cut off I'm raising just about any pocket pair, any suited connectors 8 or above, any nut flush draw, or any ace with a jack, queen, or king. Fold everything else.
To be fair, I apparently hate money and don't mind gambling for midsized stacks, particularly early in a $.5/1 game to create an image haha

What if you are certain that villain is shoving any pocket pair here?

What if you are certain that villain is shoving any pocket pair here?
But you sort of have 3 villains. Sure they're only $20 and $45 respectively, but that's cutting into your return.

With nothing invested I feel like there are better spots here.

Also, in this situation if you're forced to put your money in, or you want to create some sort of image, I want a hand like 9Tss or something rather than JJ-KK to do it with.

The two short stack all ins are nearly any two cards though. The $45 stack moved in blind I forgot to mention. I had 99 and was a tough fold but when I saw that the villain had 22 I started to think it might be a call.

The two short stack all ins are nearly any two cards though. The $45 stack moved in blind I forgot to mention. I had 99 and was a tough fold but when I saw that the villain had 22 I started to think it might be a call.
OK, well that's a big piece of information. Even still, the $250 shove acted after 2 all-ins with action behind him. 99 feels like a very easy fold, even if you're wrong occasionally.

OK, well that's a big piece of information. Even still, the $250 shove acted after 2 all-ins with action behind him. 99 feels like a very easy fold, even if you're wrong occasionally.
Very simple spot.

JJ+, any AK, AQss

I agree, just wanted some input once I saw hes shoving any pp. Hate being results oriented in a huge pot.

99 is super questionable, very villain dependent, but I'm almost never happy getting in 250bb with 99, half the time you're behind overpairs and even against two suited overs you're not in great shape.

Very simple spot.

JJ+, any AK, AQss
Against a single villain shoving in position this would be my range. Potential equity goes out the window for marginal hands like 99 like hero had here multiways, especially with three players still to act.

After a few big losing hands this weekend I have been rethinking calling a shove (or 4 bet) with AK. It seems like a coin flip at best.
I think it might be better to be the aggressor and 4bet/shove to generate some FE vs calling a 4bet or shove with this hand. Thoughts?

1621255599138.png

Especially against someone who's spewy in general (i.e., who will present plenty of good spots to make money), there's no real reason to gamble heavily here. Nothing wrong with limiting yourself to KK and AA in this spot.

This is especially true given that you have two other all-in players going into Spewy McSpewerson's action. Not only is this likely to narrow down the list of hands he will shove with, but that $45 is 20% of your stack, so the shorter players' hands certainly should be a factor in your decision, even if not the main factor.

With a stack of 225 BBs I only call with AA and KK here.
If short-stacked, with less than 100 BBs, I 'd call with pairs all the way down to 99 or AK suited.
I actually did the latter online, frustrated by having been pushed around by ultra aggressive players 3-betting and 4-betting too much (so, apparently, "light").
I pushed my 90BBs in the middle with 99 and doubled up. Both villains had AK (one of them, suited).:)

I actually did the latter online, frustrated by having been pushed around by ultra aggressive players 3-betting and 4-betting too much (so, apparently, "light").
I pushed my 90BBs in the middle with 99 and doubled up. Both villains had AK (one of them, suited).:)

Hopefully I wasnt one of those guys with AK! :)

This is so, so situational. Depends on the villains, how the night has been going for everyone, personal histories / rivalries. And perhaps live vs on-line.

No harm in being ultra tight here, but there are going to be times when everyone is full of ^&%$ either due to being short stacked or trying to pick off the short stacks who might be close to playing and two cards desparate to double up.

For sure be ultra tight if the game is random players on line.

Personally I would only KK and AA.

There is no shame in folding :)
Right? Especially since you don’t have a nickel in the pot yet.
We wait for these spots - with our reads on players, paying attention to situations, we wait for and pray for the perfect spot. But even if the other factors are right, the 99 means this isn’t that perfect spot.

So a potential loose player is all in.
Followed by another loose player all in.
Followed by another loose player all in.
Nuts to follow suit unless you have AA or KK. I could maybe see an argument for QQ. But AK, not a chance. The likely scenario here is one of those loose idiots actually has the goods.

If a player is going to constantly spew, it's ok limiting yourself to spots where you are a huge advantage and passing on spots where you are only a slight advantage.

I agree with QQ+ and AKs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom