How durable and usable are label-over applications? (2 Viewers)

Eloe2000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Obviously all chips are different. How durable are label-overs (for use in a weekly game) assuming Gear makes unlaminated labels and they are applied to minty Paulsons with a good recess even over the existing label? I see this mentioned occasionally off hand but generally I just see people talk about full label removal and replacement (which I have determined after a trial that I am unwilling to do).

I want to see if labeling over a full set for a regularly used set is advisable or not and thought maybe some people have some real world experience.

Thanks!

Mine do not get weekly use, but I can say that my unlaminated label-over mint Paulsons have zero wear. The biggest reason to go removal/replacement are for chips that have enough wear that a label over would result in spinners (the label sticks out beyond the edge of the clay). Secondary reason for inlay replacement is to get a laminated label is to match other labels in the set, that may have a grain on the label. A tertiary reason is for even better durability, but I have never heard of a Gear label taking wear. I have had a paper Avery label become worn, but never a vinyl Gear label (laminated or unlaminated).

I have a similar scenario as what you described. I labeled over Paulsons in VG/Mint condition. They all had plenty of room for the unlaminated label without causing spinners. My set gets used 4-5 times per month for 2-3 tables 100% of the time. So the chips get used.
I just received my CPC replacement set so I have been removing labels & cleaning chips. I have closely inspected all of them because of this process.

Mine have been in use since approx Oct 2018. I never noticed it in play, but a small qty of the high usage chips have started to have visible wear on the label. I would guess 10 out of the 250 labels I have removed.
As I am removing more labels I will snap some pics if I spot any more that show visible wear.

Thank you all! @Poker Zombie, and @allforcharity

Mine have been in use since approx Oct 2018. I never noticed it in play, but a small qty of the high usage chips have started to have visible wear on the label. I would guess 10 out of the 250 labels I have removed.

Realistically I would be putting this set in play as my first Paulson set for the next 1-2yrs while I can slowly work on something ideal or just wait until the perfect set comes up for sale. So a little bit of wear would not be a problem. I just wouldn't want them to look like a kids art project or have the labels peeling or wearing down completely.

I dropped a labeled chip from @Gear in water for 10 minutes for science and it was still perfect. I peeled it off to see how hard it would be, it was a pain in the ass. Label was on the chip for ~3 weeks prior.

So as far as I’m concerned, they are practically waterproof. I don’t see a reason why a chip would be submerged for 10 minutes, or any longer.

I would say 5% look like this after almost 1 year of heavy use.

Top row showing some wear.
Bottom row no wear

20190829_232217820_iOS.jpg

20190829_232231999_iOS.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom