how do you keep your players informed of your games? (1 Viewer)

grebe

Full House
Reaction score
Im sure that many of you have games that players just know, it's Friday! Game on at Fred's house! But I am interested to know how the rest of you get the word out to your players....evite? email? Text? Slack? Book of Faces? What works best for you hosts that do not have regularly scheduled games?

I tried to start a text group once and blew up everybody's phones. I'll never do that again.

We have a small group of 8 regulars, so group text works for us. We do a monthly game where the dates are set for 3-4 months out. There’s a reminder text one month out and another about 10 days before next game. The week leading up to game night may see some more back and forth in the group text. But nothing that has anyone too annoyed.

I’ll individually text non-regulars 2 weeks out if it looks like we may be short.

I have about 60 names on my list, so I use Mailchimp to send out email blasts. The free version is more than adequate - a nice feature is being able to see who opened the email.

I also text/FB chat individuals who are not good about checking emails or responding.

Text invite to 15 people every Monday at 10am, first 10 to RSVP get in. Normally, we hit 8-10 every week with the same base.

I basically text 5-6 days before (i.e. Monday for Saturday or Sunday), and have learned (the hard way) to also call, a day or two before.
Ideally, a healthy game with many candidate players would be better handled through ("circular") emails.
I would avoid going public (FB etc) for any stakes above .10/.20. It would be an invitation to criminals as well.:D

Band is 100x better than any messaging or texting. You set an event. Everyone else clicks Yes, No, Maybe. Done. Then you don't have to wonder about people or follow up. I think it even gently reminds people who haven't answered.

Private Facebook group plus mailchimp as previously mentioned. Text and messaging apps for the delinquents.

bat.jpg

Band is 100x better than any messaging or texting. You set an event. Everyone else clicks Yes, No, Maybe. Done. Then you don't have to wonder about people or follow up. I think it even gently reminds people who haven't answered.
Does everybody else have to use the app too, or just the host?

Doodle is pretty decent. People can mark their response without needing to sign up. Can have it so everyone else can see who has responded.

During family gatherings, birthdays, UFC/sports shows, the chips are ready to go. But usually for a group of 8-10 players that I host, a simple 1 time text of date, location, and time, that's it. Whomever shows up, and the usual 8 will always show up for our bi-monthly 15k tournament.

Doodle is pretty decent. People can mark their response without needing to sign up. Can have it so everyone else can see who has responded.

Doodle looks like a great way to do this, for those that don’t have Facebook in the group

Does it require that the technology inept folks in my group download an app though? :whistle: :whistling:

The box I sent you recently is living proof of life outside of Ontario/Vancouver lol;)
Does Canada have the jokes about "flyover country" like the US does? I live in the city only because my wife requires it.

Im sure that many of you have games that players just know, it's Friday! Game on at Fred's house! But I am interested to know how the rest of you get the word out to your players....evite? email? Text? Slack? Book of Faces? What works best for you hosts that do not have regularly scheduled games?

I tried to start a text group once and blew up everybody's phones. I'll never do that again.
Hey! Built my own website. I'm sure options have gotten much better, but I like the control I have over all aspects of the site. In addition to sending invites, I also need to track and post results for ongoing tournaments, we have a members page, an Alpha Club page that lists the annual winners, we post pics, etc.

Many of my peeps are not on Facebook, so that wasn't an option. Anyway, I have been running it for a few years and I love it.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 6.00.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 6.05.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 6.01.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 6.01.26 PM.png

Band. It's the perfect app for hosting.

Is there anything on the recipients end that they have to download or have on their phone?
I have tried several apps before and several of my non-tech guys have got confused not knowing what it was or thinking they had to download something etc...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom