How do you deal with "fair weather" players? (1 Viewer)

Family dinner time in this part of the Earth is around 9pm at the earliest

i've spent a lot of time in europe, and this always boggles my mind. at a hotel i stay at frequently in spain, they don't even start room service until 8:30pm. i can't tell you how many gas station cold cut sandwiches i've eaten there just so i can eat when i want.

Geez, got to ask... How many of you started playing because your significant other is a player?

i've known my wife for 17 years, and she still couldn't tell you what a flush or a straight is.

Geez, got to ask... How many of you started playing because your significant other is a player?
Not mine, but I did teach her the basics of poker and I let her sit in for me when I need to sit out a hand or two when I'm hosting a home game.

So far in the two times I've had her sit in for me, my stack is always bigger when I get back. :sneaky:

Extremely risky is the scenario of man being a racing (rally) driver and woman the co-driver, reading each Special Stage to the driver.
The poor man could end up getting the same shit for not going fast enough through corner "X" as for failing to find product "Z" on the supermarket shelf.:D

Very few couples have survived as such (couples) these roles, and they 're models of love and mutual appreciation.

Another couple-ruining and friendship-ruining activity is, of course, sailing (talking about "sharing hobbies" :LOL: :laugh: ).
The Greek saying goes "don't get on a sailboat, unless willing to drink from you fellow crewmen's spit"

Extremely risky is the scenario of man being a racing (rally) driver and woman the co-driver, reading each Special Stage to the driver.
The poor man could end up getting the same shit for not going fast enough through corner "X" as for failing to find product "Z" on the supermarket shelf.:D

Very few couples have survived as such (couples) these roles, and they 're models of love and mutual appreciation.

Another couple-ruining and friendship-ruining activity is, of course, sailing (talking about "sharing hobbies" :LOL: :laugh: ).
The Greek saying goes "don't get on a sailboat, unless willing to drink from you fellow crewmen's spit"
I love the way your mind works lol
1626812594991.png

Fact! I have two holdouts out of 18 total players. Just told them that all updates and invites will be through the app. So, if they are not on it, they’ll be missing games. I’m not chasing you down.

Another plus, at least to me, is when a player wants to invite a friend he can just send the Band invite. BOOM! Now the new player gets all the updates and our pool of players is plus one.:)
I just started playing around with Band, looks cool. I see it has a live-streaming option. Trying to figure out how I could livestream my iPad screen instead of camera. My iPad runs my tournament timer.

Hosted a tournament for years before meeting my wife, so she didn't get me into it, but on the night I met her, we left after a wedding (we were both in the wedding party) to grab some food and ended up playing poker for hours (till daylight) at the local dog track.

That's a damn fine woman.

Hosted a tournament for years before meeting my wife, so she didn't get me into it, but on the night I met her, we left after a wedding (we were both in the wedding party) to grab some food and ended up playing poker for hours (till daylight) at the local dog track.

That's a damn fine woman.
Cool story Bro... Who won?

I just started playing around with Band, looks cool. I see it has a live-streaming option. Trying to figure out how I could livestream my iPad screen instead of camera. My iPad runs my tournament timer.

Haven’t tried the livestream feature yet. Let me know how it goes.

How do you deal with "fair weather" players, especially when you are struggling to start a game up and need bodies?
So these guys gave a firm commitment and then cancelled with 3 days notice?

The fact that a more preferable activity came along isn't surprising. It's summer... and summer after a pandemic no less. I have 70+ names on my list and I struggle to get a consistent game together in the summer months.

I'd give them a pass and thank them for letting you know. That's a hell of a lot better than cold no-shows. Three days is plenty of time to fill two seats. But if it happens consistently you should kindly explain to them that you won't be able to guarantee them a seat since it's unfair to the others who show up consistently in good faith.

If you want a table of 9, invite 30 people. Have a plan to deal with it if more than 9 show up... second table, etc. If all you have room for is nine, invite as many as you can while letting them know about the space limitations. Guarantee a seat for your loyal regulars and announce the number of open seats. Scarcity and FOMO are great marketing tactics :)

So these guys gave a firm commitment and then cancelled with 3 days notice?

The fact that a more preferable activity came along isn't surprising. It's summer... and summer after a pandemic no less. I have 70+ names on my list and I struggle to get a consistent game together in the summer months.

I'd give them a pass and thank them for letting you know. That's a hell of a lot better than cold no-shows. Three days is plenty of time to fill two seats. But if it happens consistently you should kindly explain to them that you won't be able to guarantee them a seat since it's unfair to the others who show up consistently in good faith.

If you want a table of 9, invite 30 people. Have a plan to deal with it if more than 9 show up... second table, etc. If all you have room for is nine, invite as many as you can while letting them know about the space limitations. Guarantee a seat for your loyal regulars and announce the number of open seats. Scarcity and FOMO are great marketing tactics :)
Yeah I was trying to get that FOMO going on this game, so I blasted the invite out to like 16 people for a 9-person table (looking for 8 to come). I did let them know about the limited seating etc. Unfortunately here I am, so you can see how that worked out, LOL. Actually it was pretty good. Had a likely full table until these 2 jabronis blew me off! Also had some bad luck...1 player who's a buddy but new to the game actually came a week early and isn't sure he can make this Friday's game, but he thinks he'll be able to. And another buddy has strep. throat but he's going on antibiotics tonight so he won't be contagious for the game, but we'll see how he's feeling, is where that's at. Fingers crossed!

I think your 30 number may be spot on, LOL. I'll go bigger for sure on the next one.

Try living in Australia, the land of the flake. I had a game of 9 lined up and sure enough the day before they started dropping like flies and I and to cancel on the day of when there were just three of us left.

I've got a bit of a different conundrum.

I just moved to a new area that already has a PCF member home game within 5 minutes of my house. I have already been invited to a game (thanks again, btw!). Their game looks well organized and looks to have a good group of regulars.

I've really got my heart set on hosting my own games in the near future starting with some buddies that are just getting into poker. As we've mentioned in this thread over and over, you have to constantly recruit to keep these games alive, but I'm a little concerned about there being two games so close together... I don't want to appear to be recruiting "against" the other game in town that has been here much longer than I have.

How would you handle this to make sure that there is no animosity or competition for players while still recruiting in the same backyard?

(For the record, I plan to become a regular at the other game as well - assuming I continue to be invited. More poker is always better as far as I'm concerned)

I just moved to a new area that already has a PCF member home game within 5 minutes of my house. I have already been invited to a game (thanks again, btw!). Their game looks well organized and looks to have a good group of regulars.

I've really got my heart set on hosting my own games in the near future starting with some buddies that are just getting into poker. As we've mentioned in this thread over and over, you have to constantly recruit to keep these games alive, but I'm a little concerned about there being two games so close together... I don't want to appear to be recruiting "against" the other game in town that has been here much longer than I have.

How would you handle this to make sure that there is no animosity or competition for players while still recruiting in the same backyard?

(For the record, I plan to become a regular at the other game as well - assuming I continue to be invited. More poker is always better as far as I'm concerned)
Play on a different night. We have two games in my area, Thursday and Saturday nights, and the overlap is almost 100%. Sometimes when you can’t make one you can make the other

I’ve gotten my wife to play a couple times, just for fun events. She has no interest in poker, really. This is probably good for me, because I’m sure she would absolutely own me at the table if she wanted to. :)

I’ve gotten my wife to play a couple times, just for fun events. She has no interest in poker, really. This is probably good for me, because I’m sure she would absolutely own me at the table if she wanted to. :)
In that case you play to break even.
Any other scenario you're pretty screwed...

The PCF map shows three players in the Buffalo area. Have you reached out to them?
Where is this map?

Try living in Australia, the land of the flake. I had a game of 9 lined up and sure enough the day before they started dropping like flies and I and to cancel on the day of when there were just three of us left.
6 cancels the day before or later...makes my flakes look like rocks! Rough one dude...I hope you managed to find stable people eventually.

I don't have much experience with this, but what about running a different type of game? If they do cash, maybe you run tournaments, or vice versa.

Also, hosting is a lot of work...are you sure you don't want to just ride on that game? Ask the host what it takes to become a regular and stick to it. Maybe even mention if he wants a night off, you can host for him, after going over everything and having him approve it. Might be best to go with the ol' "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" line here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom