How do you all peek at your cards? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I was reading a thread where people were discussing if it was hard to peek at cards with those tiny peek pips in two corners. I was confused about whether or not it would be a problem for me because I wasn’t sure if peeking right handed meant you used your right hand to peel them up or to shield them.
I was quite sure I peeled them up with my right hand while sheilding them with my left. Imagine my surprise when I pulled out a deck and peeked at two cards, only to see no pips there at all. I guess after 9 months of no live poker, I’ve forgotten how to peek.
So I switched hands (and FWIW, it didn’t feel any more or less natural) and shielded with my right while peeling with my left. Is this considered peeking with your right hand? Is this normal? Do people do it differently?
0D205814-1513-4558-8D3B-4696F542C175.jpeg

I don’t know which way that’s named, but it’s what I do too. I also hold cards in my left hand for any game that involves holding the cards. For me, I think of my right hand as the one that’s better at ‘doing’ things - moving cards around in the hand, discarding cards, moving chips, grabbing my drink, etc. (I’m right handed). Left hand does as little as possible!

Hold'em - portrait mode, 25 degree rotation counter clockwise, corner peek with my right hand, cover with my left.

Omaha - landscape mode, 15 degree rotation clockwise, side peek with my left hand, cover with my right.

JUMBO index - lean them against the wall, stand back 50 feet, close one eye.

lol I never do it the same way. Just depends on how close people are to me at the table.

No rotation, I take the two hole cards and stack them. Lift the front of the cards, fan out, and peek with my right hand while covering with my left. Same with a three hole card pineapple hand

For PLO and any other game with four hole cards or more, I pick them up, look at them at eye level, and place them back on the table.

Hold in left hand perpendicular to body, maybe rotated 10-15 degrees clockwise and slightly fanned, lift nearest side edge near the card top with left thumb, shield with right hand, view all cards at once (and not any more than just the indexes). Pretty much identical to the pic in the OP (maybe a bit more shielding on my part).

Not much different if more than two hole cards, although 5+ cards and certain hand-splitting games dictate a different approach.

Hold'em - portrait mode, 25 degree rotation counter clockwise, corner peek with my right hand, cover with my left.

Omaha - landscape mode, 15 degree rotation clockwise, side peek with my left hand, cover with my right.

JUMBO index - lean them against the wall, stand back 50 feet, close one eye.
Hey, us old guys like JUMBO index. Lol!

Interesting. I never gave this much thought. I don't rotate the cards. I shield with my left hand and bend the cards up with my right thumb. Maybe if I rotated the cards horizontally, it would get rid of my pet peeve with jumbo cards where the PIP and suit extend too far down the card!!

I use auto-peek on pokerrrrr 2. I don't remember how I peek at live cards, it's been too long. I don't even know if I remember how to shuffle.

I click the cards on the computer screen and it flips them over. Then I make sure 'show on fold' is not checked.

I'm right-handed. In Hold'em, Stud, and 4-card Omaha variants, I shield with my right hand (both hands really, but primarily right), peel with my left thumb, and fan out to see the indices. Sometimes I get cute in Hold'em and Stud, peeling both cards one on top of the other, and then I let the first one drop to reveal the second.

In games with 5 or more hole cards, especially if you have to split or otherwise structure your hand (like SOHE or Scrotum variants), I typically pick 'em all up off the table and look at them like I did when I was a kid playing Draw.

Carefully, I love my cards. Hate it when people leave crescent nail marks on cards because they are too rough with cards.

Carefully, I love my cards. Hate it when people leave crescent nail marks on cards because they are too rough with cards.
It really burns my ass when I see people wreck a deck of cards like this, especially quality plastic cards that are supposed to last a long time. Boom, a quarter of the deck is marked up after the first orbit.

Question for people who do this: Is it really so hard to not dig your fingernail into the cards like that? It takes a lot of force to do that to acetate cards. It's really hard to believe it's not on purpose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom