How do i get my friends in to poker? (1 Viewer)

Ainton

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all!

Some of my friends just refuse to play poker, they don’t even wanna be around when it’s gamenight.

I know that I can’t force everyone to like it but is there some way to get them interested? I’ve tried simpler 5 card games without betting and that works for some of them.

What got YOU into poker? Things like old poker footage, Rounders or just card games in general could get most gamblers into poker; however, it's not for everyone. I find people who gamble are more prone to start playing poker. Shocking, right? People who are kind of life nits and are risk averse stay away.

Are they into the stock market or crypto investing? Could translate to poker.
Are they into competitive gaming? Could translate to poker.

Do they have 500 hrs into Animal Crossing? Probably not gonna translate to poker.

I wouldn't force it on your friends. I can see how someone who's just not into poker, would get annoyed when their friend just wants to play cards and they want to do real life stuff.

If they have no interest, there is little you can do about it i guess...not everyone likes poker.

But, maybe be a generous host with food/snacks etc and as for actual poker i think low buy-in nlhe tournaments with pretty aggressive blinds so it don't last forever might be a good entry.

You could try working it in to a game night rotation if the initial interest is not there among your group.

Hi all!

Some of my friends just refuse to play poker, they don’t even wanna be around when it’s gamenight.

I know that I can’t force everyone to like it but is there some way to get them interested? I’ve tried simpler 5 card games without betting and that works for some of them.

as is true for most hobbies, it's far easier to just find poker players to become friends with than try to convert your existing friends into poker players if they aren't interested.

Screw your friends ;). I’ll be moving to Stockholm (you sounded like you’re a Stockholmare when we spoke) probably at the end of the year. I have a friend that has a great poker game in Täby (pre-corona at least). Regular tournaments with 20+ people and cashgames after. I’m planning to join those when things get back to normal and I’m sure they have room for you as well. And in the mean time you’re more than welcome to join our online pcf game:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/online-cashgames-pokernow-club.69460/

Maybe a micro stakes game or a free tournament with some prize to offer. It’s really difficult getting people enthusiastic about poker that have no experience.

Have a group movie night featuring "Rounders" at your place, and then follow up after the move with video clips of Chris Moneymaker's run at the 2003 WSOP Main Event.

Problem solved.
That pretty much did it for me, High Stakes Poker kept me interested as well.

Easy answer is put up with my hobby for an hour and each of you will get a $20 gift certificate to the only place you can still eat like a king for $20, TacoBell... no ome could say no to that!!

On a serious note, find other players "poker players" and stop hanging so much with your crew. Overtime they will want their friend back!!

Screw your friends ;). I’ll be moving to Stockholm (you sounded like you’re a Stockholmare when we spoke) probably at the end of the year. I have a friend that has a great poker game in Täby (pre-corona at least). Regular tournaments with 20+ people and cashgames after. I’m planning to join those when things get back to normal and I’m sure they have room for you as well. And in the mean time you’re more than welcome to join our online pcf game:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/online-cashgames-pokernow-club.69460/
Haha u got me by the accent, live in Nynäshamn so as soon as we get the vaccine we should meet up!

I’ll check that out

Easy answer is put up with my hobby for an hour and each of you will get a $20 gift certificate to the only place you can still eat like a king for $20, TacoBell... no ome could say no to that!!

On a serious note, find other players "poker players" and stop hanging so much with your crew. Overtime they will want their friend back!!
I think you are right it’s just hard right now to meet up with other poker players due to COVID

Oh, didn't realize you were from Sweden. Nice! We're growing in numbers here. One of these days we might get to do a proper meetup. :)

Oh, didn't realize you were from Sweden. Nice! We're growing in numbers here. One of these days we might get to do a proper meetup. :)
Hell yeah! Were do you live?

Haha u got me by the accent, live in Nynäshamn so as soon as we get the vaccine we should meet up!

I’ll check that out

I think you are right it’s just hard right now to meet up with other poker players due to COVID
We’re gonna be on the other side, outside of Åkersberga but certainly close enough!

it's far easier to just find poker players to become friends with than try to convert your existing friends into poker players if they aren't interested.
This is very true. When I took up hosting again several years ago after a long hiatus, it was very hard to get a STT going. I had to get the few friends that like poker to invite friends of their own. Slowly but surely the snowball grew, to the point where we've been around 20 per tournament for several years, with a player pool of about 60. So I basically succeeded to:
Get cooler friends

Out if the original crew, I think I'm the only one left, all current regs are people who were invited along the way. This illustrates a good rule: If you're game isn't growing, it's dying. Had I not continuously worked on expanding, I would have been the only one left!

Some may be reluctant because they just don't understand the game. Offer a free training class to teach them the game without them investing any money.

@crussader may be a tireless person of good will, but I 've given up talking to uninterested people about things that are of interest to me.
Not only is life short, but the above attempt may shorten it even more.

Just find people interested in poker and play with them. Of course, not any poker player can or should become your friend.
In a way, playing poker with friends may be a possiblly sensitive issue, 'cause, at the end of the day, it's a violent sport. Just like boxing and wrestling.

Don’t try to teach and encourage your friends to get into poker. At best they will decline. At worst they will agree reluctantly, and you’re gonna have the shittiest game of all time. “Now it’s on you, check or bet” every single hand.

If a friend comes to you and says “hey I want to learn poker, can you invite me to one of your games” that’s when you can teach

Not a popular answer, but: play limit games.

Ive hosted many a limit game where about half of all attendees were new to the game. Limit games are non-threatening. Moreover, losing $20 while drinking and bullshitting for hours with your buddies is fun; losing your entire stack in one hand playing a game you’re barely familiar with is not fun. Understanding bankroll swings and factoring in the occasional bust is an advanced player consideration, not fun for noobs.

Hence, I host limit games. I’ve never had a player not return to play again, literally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom